Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2022, 06:46 AM

59,113 posts, read 27,340,319 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Yup. Property taxes only go up.
I think of places like NY were they can increase hundreds of dollars a year, EVERY year.
How is someone on a fixed income supposed to keep up with that, plus other rising costs.
Same with utilities, insurances. They only go up, never down.
"Among the many different counties of New York, Suffolk and Nassau counties on Long Island have some of the highest property tax rates"

"Westchester County collects the highest property tax in New York, levying an average of $9,003.00"

"The median property tax in Brunswick County, North Carolina is $933 per year.

And some wonder why so many people move OUT of NY, and the northeast in general, and go South when they retire!

NY LOST 2 SEATS as a result of the previous census and lost another one this time.

NC almost gained a seat after the previous census, but DID gain 1 this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2022, 06:50 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,795,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
If you don't include the 0% state income tax, Texas and Florida is as expensive as non-coastal California and NYS, if not more so.
According to Nerdwallet, the cost of living in Dallas is about the same as the cost of living in Bakersfield.

Bakersfield or Dallas? Your choice.

Old 01-11-2022, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
What do you mean by try? Are they allowed to vote? Are they allowed to run for office? Can they be on the school board or the city or county commission? Are you saying that you don't want them to threaten the "good ol' boy" network?

The sheer numbers will eventually moderate the extremism in some places. What goes good with purple? Even when the wannabe "reds" from blue states arrive in some of these places they are put off by the raw extreme positions.
I live in 1 of those places so many are moving to.

In my 15 hears here, in one of the fastest growing counties in the country, I have noticed MORE repubs then dems have moved here, which is why my state turned repub after 100 years of dem control.

My neighbor state is also 1 of the fastest growing in the country and is SOLID repub ruled.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
The city of Detroit has been continuously voting Democrat since 1962. The first action the new Democratic mayor, Cavanaugh, did back in the early 1960s was implement a 3% income tax for the privilege of working in the city of Detroit. Companies started immediately leaving the city for the suburbs. The first 2 companies to go were AAA and Kresge/K-mart.
"Originally Posted by beach43ofus It amazes me that so many posters here do not understand that political policy leads to bad environments for employers, so they leave, then the jobs leave, then the residents leave, then the tax revenues fall, then no money for upkeep and infrastructure."

Just the opposite is ALSO true! Political policy leads to GOOD environments for employers, etc.

There was a time when ALL cars/trucks made in America were in Detroit. Not anymore.

Now they are built all over the country and world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o..._United_States

"General Motors on Nov. 26 announced plans to idle three North American assembly plants, including final assembly plants in Michigan and Ohio. Last year, 47 percent of the vehicles sold in the United States were imported, according to the Center for Automotive Research and U.S. International Trade Association. Of those built and sold in the United States, a little more than half were Detroit Three cars."

"Of vehicles built in Canada and Mexico and sold in the United States, 43 percent are Detroit brands."

"In Ford's case, about 80 percent of what it sells in the United States is assembled at U.S. factories.
GM also has heavy production here. It also is the leading automaker in Mexico, where it's retooled plants and allocated more SUV and pickup production in recent years."

Old 01-11-2022, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Wow really? Do you even read the articles you post? If a state goes from one million to ten million over a nine year span, but on that 10th year it lost 100,000 people, how many people would the state have grown from years 1-10? Is it a positive or negative number?

Do basic math first.

Tell me what California's population was in 2010 and what it was in 2020. Lol! Since I feel sorry for you I'll help you out: in 2010 CA's population was 37.2M people and in 2020 it was 39.3M people. Is that an overall population gain when looking at the last 10 years collectively or a loss? Should be easy to figure out...
"Wow really? Do you even read the articles you post?"

Save the juvenile insults.

A state either GAINED a set in the House, lost a seat or stayed the same.

Old 01-11-2022, 07:37 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"Wow really? Do you even read the articles you post?"

Save the juvenile insults.

A state either GAINED a set in the House, lost a seat or stayed the same.
Well if youre going to post an article then you should read it first, and next time dont start your post with this after being unable to subtract California's 2010 population from its 2020 population:

Quote:
I don't know where you came up with this. How can you LOSE population and GAIN people? Unless you are counting illegals which by LAW CANNOT vote!
Annual estimates are taken every year and CA lost population last year. The official Census is taken every 10 years and CA still overall gained in that time (2010 - 2020).

And for the third time, House seats arent entirely based on one state gaining or losing people, but the proportion of people living there when compared to the entire United States population. Thats how states get their seats. This is why CA lost a seat even though over the last ten years it gained in population.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:06 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,243,006 times
U-Haul data does not prove any point. There are many moving companies, U-Haul rentals is the "economy" method of moving. What about the people that moved using Bekins, Mayflower, United, Allied and Atlas, where did their customers move to?

Old 01-11-2022, 10:40 AM

25,963 posts, read 22,138,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
They are not fleeing because of the politics of blue states. They are fleeing because of the results of the politics of those blue states.

See the difference?
Great way to state it! I also figure some were not contented with their lives in these places, and the mandates and shutdowns finally gave them the kick in the pants they needed to just move and be done with it.

So many lost their businesses, and their kids not going to school................

Old 01-11-2022, 10:46 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Great way to state it! I also figure some were not contented with their lives in these places, and the mandates and shutdowns finally gave them the kick in the pants they needed to just move and be done with it.

So many lost their businesses, and their kids not going to school................
There are numerous red state failure examples, but they tend to generally have lower populations. Kansas is a prime example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies