Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2022, 07:58 AM

7,103 posts, read 5,989,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EducatedRedneck View Post
https://www.wnd.com/2022/01/report-u...dus-continues/

No surprise but not really thrilled folks are moving to Texas,Tennessee or Florida. All 3 are red states that want to stay that way so unless people leave their horrific ideas they voted into office in those blue states NOTHING will change even if they move away from there. We are considering all 3 of the top states with Tn being at the top of the list.
https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/About...Of-2021-26380/
The Great Migration II
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2022, 08:03 AM

346 posts, read 229,880 times
This is why I would avoid high growth states. They will turn blue soon.

Sitting pretty here in VA with a soon-to-be Republican controlled House and all 3 statewide offices held by pro-liberty, pro-2A advocates. Lowest pop. growth rate here in decades, small cities plus an exodus in the northern va. dc metro cesspool is working to our red advantage.

These are the states that will go red while Texas and the like go blue soon.

If you're red, come to Virginia, West Virginia, Alabama and Kentucky -- avoid TN and TX, especially the latter.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:09 AM

78,437 posts, read 60,640,522 times
It's really not about HOW MANY are moving but more importantly how much WEALTH is moving.

If you have a Venus Williams, Tiger Woods, Elon Musk etc. moving out of a state and replace them with a Jiffy Lube worker then you have longer term financial challenges.

I've often had people claim that isn't going to happen until I show how CA and other states are looking at trying to implement wealth taxes to target people that do this. Hmmmm....the state seems to think it's a problem.

I highly doubt we'll see enough movement in any shorter term to produce any meaningful voting impacts. The financial impacts as people move to lower tax or more business friendly states etc. is a more pressing issue for governments.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:23 AM

9,471 posts, read 10,812,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
It's more affordable in those states. Otherwise, I'd be living in a blue state myself. You better believe I'm not here because of the politics, lol.
I live in Tennessee, one of the red states people are fleeing too. We have a balanced state budget, we have a business friendly environment and less tax burden. We also didn’t lock down our state in the name of safety ruining tens of thousands of lives by destroying their livelihoods. Our citizens are free to exercise their personal liberties.

The reasons red states are more affordable is because the way we do things here makes them that way. If you feel your stuck in a red state and want to live the good left wing life up north then make it happen. You will learn what it’s like to pay twice as much for everything because of taxes and regulations, you will know what it’s like to not be able to go get a hamburger or a haircut because your leftist neighbors are terrified of the rona and have rules that force you to give up your basic freedoms to placate their fears. New York, Michigan, California, Washington all await you, they will welcome you with open arms (if your vaccinated and do a 14 day quarantine when you arrive)

Old 01-06-2022, 08:23 AM

2,335 posts, read 815,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
It's really not about HOW MANY are moving but more importantly how much WEALTH is moving.

If you have a Venus Williams, Tiger Woods, Elon Musk etc. moving out of a state and replace them with a Jiffy Lube worker then you have longer term financial challenges.

I've often had people claim that isn't going to happen until I show how CA and other states are looking at trying to implement wealth taxes to target people that do this. Hmmmm....the state seems to think it's a problem.

I highly doubt we'll see enough movement in any shorter term to produce any meaningful voting impacts. The financial impacts as people move to lower tax or more business friendly states etc. is a more pressing issue for governments.
Now that's a worthwhile conversation. And a good time to move the goal post, since the flawed arguments of the posters on the first few pages of this thread we're not only losing ground quickly but we're failing miserably.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:24 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,744,539 times
People are also moving to be nearer to family members. I know people who left a red or purple state and moved back to a blue state. The pandemic made flying too cumbersome for trips several times a year.

Also for some people the climate of red states in the south is unappealing. I despise long humid summers and love snow and cold. The 20 years I spent in the south were miserable as far as climate.

The city of Chicago is blue, the suburbs are turning away from blue, and the rest of the state is solid red.

Taxes in some red states and real estate prices are skyrocketing and will continue. Pretty soon they’ll be just as bad, plus, their cities are turning blue.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:26 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Here is your proof:

https://law.yale.edu/sites/default/f...f/hier1948.pdf

Excerpt:

"The price of housing is significantly higher than construction costs only in a limited number of areas, such as California and some eastern cities. ... Instead, our evidence suggests that zoning and other land use controls play the dominant role in making housing expensive".

Zoning is a combination of local and state political policy.

Will you now agree, or contend that you know more than Yale?
There are many blue areas that don't have this issue. Also a large part of the problem is many of these high cost cities are built out significantly. I agree that zoning plays a role in this, also nimbyism does as well. You can have strict zoning laws and nimby policies in more conservative locales within a blue state or metropolitan area.

Zoning typically comes from the local government. High population and high population density areas tend to correlate with more liberal attitudes and politics, these places also have a high demand for housing. Zoning and nimbyism can have strong ties with conservative politics.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:30 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
It most certainly isn't that way in my Red State. Oklahoma is such a highly undesirable state to live in, due to the incredibly year-round bad weather and lack of decent paying jobs that Tulsa and Stillwater have to try to bribe people with cash incentives to move there. At least the lack of people moving in helps keep the cost of living down.

Get Paid to Live In Stillwater, OK: https://www.makemymove.com/get-paid/stillwater-oklahoma
wrong, stilly. read 'em and weep.

https://citizenfreepress.com/wp-cont...tion-chart.jpg

Old 01-06-2022, 08:38 AM

3,307 posts, read 1,219,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
People are also moving to be nearer to family members. I know people who left a red or purple state and moved back to a blue state. The pandemic made flying too cumbersome for trips several times a year.

Also for some people the climate of red states in the south is unappealing. I despise long humid summers and love snow and cold. The 20 years I spent in the south were miserable as far as climate.

The city of Chicago is blue, the suburbs are turning away from blue, and the rest of the state is solid red.

Taxes in some red states and real estate prices are skyrocketing and will continue. Pretty soon they’ll be just as bad, plus, their cities are turning blue.
This is the crux of the issue here. It seems that many here don't understand that some of these more popular red states are on the same growth trajectory as many current day blue states. Remember, California used to be red. It seems once they reach this population threshold and reach a certain share of urban population within these states, they may start to mirror the blue states they bemoan.

Old 01-06-2022, 08:41 AM

26,430 posts, read 46,607,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I live in Tennessee, one of the red states people are fleeing too. We have a balanced state budget, we have a business friendly environment and less tax burden. We also didn’t lock down our state in the name of safety ruining tens of thousands of lives by destroying their livelihoods. Our citizens are free to exercise their personal liberties.

The reasons red states are more affordable is because the way we do things here makes them that way. If you feel your stuck in a red state and want to live the good left wing life up north then make it happen. You will learn what it’s like to pay twice as much for everything because of taxes and regulations, you will know what it’s like to not be able to go get a hamburger or a haircut because your leftist neighbors are terrified of the rona and have rules that force you to give up your basic freedoms to placate their fears. New York, Michigan, California, Washington all await you, they will welcome you with open arms (if your vaccinated and do a 14 day quarantine when you arrive)
LOL, your worthless state of Tennessee is seeing the most covid infections per capita of any state in the country as of yesterday. It will get much worse there before things improve due to very low vaccination rates. Too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies