Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 06:27 AM

7,383 posts, read 3,539,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
It is not easy to just tell your children what is wrong with the principals advocated by the Democratic Party, expecially when they get to college and their heads are filled with idealistic, utopian dreams of a completely fair society where everyone benefits equally. It takes getting out in the real world and having to see the lazy guy next to them at work getting paid the same for doing far less, to realize these idealized concepts don't apply in real world circumstances and that basic conservative concepts simply work better given human nature and the realism of life.
And no one starts teaching them when they are young, which is part of the problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 06:29 AM

50,382 posts, read 64,034,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephan A Smith View Post
In my red state, we are being flooded with refugees from blue states. They can't get out of the blue states fast enough.

I don't blame them one bit, but I hope the ones coming are smart enough to not vote in politicians who will implement the same failed policies that made them flee their former state.
Hope springs eternal. What makes you think the folks who voted for Biden and Horizontal Harris will be any more discerning after they move? They want cradle to grave government. Prepare to have your state polluted.

Old 01-07-2022, 06:32 AM

5,986 posts, read 2,240,225 times
Children and young adults are always idealistic and they should be. The world is full of wonderful things and anything is possible when you're young. It helps innovation, creation of new business, creation of new ways of thinking.

I personally feel the country would lose more if we try to drill the pessimism of people 50+ into teens and college students.

If you passed all that pessimism down then who is the group that will bring optimism, that will inspire and push for new innovation or ideas?

Old 01-07-2022, 06:32 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
I know many people who moved south for COL reasons and regretted the move. COL imo is a bad choice for number one on the “pros†list.
"I know many people who moved south for COL reasons and regretted the move."

In my 15 years here in the South, I have seen just the OPPOSITE.

The only time people moved back north is when a husband dies and the wife is getting up in age, they STAYED HERE until their health started to disintegrate, and the family wants her back so they can take care of them.

NEVER have I seen people move back for any other reason.

Just for the record:

"The shifting population is largely in line with the regional trend that has existed since 1940 in which there is an increase in the number of congressional seats in the south and west and a loss of seats in the northeast and midwest. Since 1940, there has been a combined net shift of 84 seats to the south and west regions, the bureau said."

"https://news.yahoo.com/california-loses-house-seat-first-194713136.html

Last edited by Quick Enough; 01-07-2022 at 07:01 AM..

Old 01-07-2022, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One thing I would look at is demographics. This is playing a role too. It wasn't just a population threshold. It was a demographic threshold. The Hispanic and Asian populations have risen rapidly in California. And some Republicans in California were perceived to be anti-immigrant. This didn't help. California is majority-minority at this point. This is a big part of what's keeping California blue. California has also attracted a decent-size LGBT population, as well as a decent-size number of young and childless people.

Another state I would look at is Georgia. It's already in that trajectory. Georgia has 10.7 million people. There are 3.3 million Blacks in Georgia, about 32% (up from 27% in 1990) of the population (up from 1.7 million in 1990). Georgia's White population has been on the decline since the 1990s, in spite of the number of Whites from other states moving there (51%, down from 70% in 1990). Demographics is playing a role in Georgia. Blacks weren't just coming from blue states. Many were coming from red states as well. The Atlanta area is currently a big magnet for people moving to Georgia. Georgia just turned blue for the first time since 1992 (GA went for Clinton in 1992, and voted Republican from 1996-2016).
And Ca. LOST a seat in the House after the census!

Old 01-07-2022, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Look what two cities are in the top 20 for GAINING U-hauls:

8. Sacramento, California
12. San Diego, California

Sorry to burst your bubble, California haters. More people are moving to Sacramento and San Diego than are leaving.

https://www.uhaul.com/Articles/About...-Cities-26381/
"Sorry to burst your bubble"

Sorry to burst YOUR bubble

"While California ranks last among U-Haul growth states, it enjoyed pockets of growth in 2021"

2 cities do NOT make up a state as big as Ca.

San Diego makes perfect sense since it is such a large MILITARY town.

People are being transferred there all the time.

"California haters." People like you NEVER cease to amaze me. Why is it you think EVERYONE HATES" (fill in the blanks")?

Can't people just disagree and have different opinions then yours WITHOUT hating?

I really feel sorry for people like you who go around "HATING" everything you disagree with.

Must be a miserable life you live!

Old 01-07-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Your post doesnt prove anything because Uhaul is used for moving and CA's population only grew thanks to natural increase (births minus deaths). I already posted a link in this thread, that you also used in your post, which shows the hundreds of thousands of CA residents that leave the state annually. It's the far right column. So many leave that it negates the international immigtation numbers, of which CA's share is also dropping due to high housing costs (cheaper states have seen more growth there). I honestly don't know how you can use that link and post what you did about CA's population.

And yes for Austin, outside of the people it gets from Houston and DFW, the largest share of its newcomers are from California.

Btw the source for the link is not A&M but the Census. All A&M does is compile the data in easy to read formats.
"CA's population only grew thanks to natural increase (births minus deaths)."

"Grew, rally? explain why they LOST a seat in the House of Rep.!

"The Golden State is one of seven states that will lose a seat in the House based on population shifts, a group that includes New York, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia"

"The shifting population is largely in line with the regional trend that has existed since 1940 in which there is an increase in the number of congressional seats in the south and west and a loss of seats in the northeast and midwest. Since 1940, there has been a combined net shift of 84 seats to the south and west regions, the bureau said.

https://news.yahoo.com/california-lo...194713136.html

Old 01-07-2022, 09:04 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,980,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"CA's population only grew thanks to natural increase (births minus deaths)."

"Grew, rally? explain why they LOST a seat in the House of Rep.!

"The Golden State is one of seven states that will lose a seat in the House based on population shifts, a group that includes New York, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia"

"The shifting population is largely in line with the regional trend that has existed since 1940 in which there is an increase in the number of congressional seats in the south and west and a loss of seats in the northeast and midwest. Since 1940, there has been a combined net shift of 84 seats to the south and west regions, the bureau said.

https://news.yahoo.com/california-lo...194713136.html
Yes CA lost population last year but still overall since 2010 it has gained people, again thanks to natural increase. It lost a seat because other states grew faster during the same 10 year period.

Old 01-07-2022, 09:09 AM

4,952 posts, read 3,061,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
It's more affordable in those states. Otherwise, I'd be living in a blue state myself. You better believe I'm not here because of the politics, lol.

I can assure you Florida is not, I checked my old apartment leased 15 years ago; today's rent/month has tripled. They're almost out of land in the southern peninsula, so these prices will continue rising.
Residents fleeing the northeast are driving up prices; just like those pesky Californians did in Colorado.

Old 01-08-2022, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
Yes CA lost population last year but still overall since 2010 it has gained people, again thanks to natural increase. It lost a seat because other states grew faster during the same 10 year period.
"Yes CA lost population last year but still overall since 2010 it has gained people.

I don't know where you came up with this. How can you LOSE population and GAIN people? Unless you are counting illegals which by LAW CANNOT vote!

"How a state lose or gain representation in the house of representatives?

"Representation in the HoR (as well as in the Electoral College) is based on population. Every ten years, the U.S. takes the Census to determine the population of each state, county and district in the entire county. Getting accurate information is important because after determining the populations, the 435 House seats are reapportioned; meaning the 435 seats are divided among the states based on population. The greater the population, the more seats a state gets, and vice-versa.However, a state can still gain population, but lose representation. This is because the data for each state is compared to each other; one state might have a greater gain in population then another state that also gains population."

https://www.answers.com/Q/How_a_stat...epresentatives

"Yes CA lost population last year but still overall since 2010 it has gained people

"California's population dropped for the first time in the state's recorded history"By Cheri Mossburg, CNN

California's population dropped for the first time in the state's recorded historyBy Cheri Mossburg, CNN
Updated 5:01 PM ET, Fri May 7, 2021

https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/07/us/ca...rop/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies