Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2022, 10:43 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,040,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
LOL ridiculous statement. Marxism is an extreme form of liberalism.
You must be using a different definition of 'liberal' than I am.

Liberals believe in individualism and equal rights. They resented interference by "The Man".

Marxism is "The Man".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2022, 10:46 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
That's not really my point. The point is that you can decry those rotten bums who engaged in steering or blockbusting or whatever, but you don't live in a racially mixed neighborhood today, and neither do I. So who are we to talk?
Some of us live in very diverse neighborhoods. DH and I are the only anglo's on the block.

And I can't pronounced half the names. But we would all get together for a meal and games once a month before covid. Now when the weather's good we meet outside.

We have hispanic, black, several Vietnamese families, Chinese and Japanese. Turkey, Pakistan and somewhere in the ME, IDK. If you live in Houston, that's pretty much the way it is. People don't care where you are from or who you are. Just as long as you can afford the house next door and cut the grass, everything's good.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:53 AM

Quote:
The NAR is a private organization of people engaged in the buying and selling of private property. They are not a government organization. If they decide to adopt some policies that you don't like, too bad.
I think more people need to know what NAR is promoting now.

The National Association of Realtors should stick to real estate.

Old 02-18-2022, 10:54 AM

20,872 posts, read 9,550,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artisan10 View Post
You must be using a different definition of 'liberal' than I am.

Liberals believe in individualism and equal rights. They resented interference by "The Man".

Marxism is "The Man".
I am using the common, contemporary definition of "liberal" as synonymous with "leftist."

Old 02-18-2022, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Some of us live in very diverse neighborhoods. DH and I are the only anglo's on the block.

And I can't pronounced half the names. But we would all get together for a meal and games once a month before covid. Now when the weather's good we meet outside.

We have hispanic, black, several Vietnamese families, Chinese and Japanese. Turkey, Pakistan and somewhere in the ME, IDK. If you live in Houston, that's pretty much the way it is. People don't care where you are from or who you are. Just as long as you can afford the house next door and cut the grass, everything's good.
Sounds like fun!

Old 02-18-2022, 11:01 AM

Quote:
I think more people need to know what NAR is promoting now.

The National Association of Realtors should stick to real estate.
They are sticking to real estate. Assisting people buying and selling real estate - which is what they do - entails engaging with customers who want to buy and sell real estate. Since it is such an intensively customer-centric business endeavor, it is a wise thing for them to devise policies on how they deal with those customers. If they use language in those policies that you don't like, once again, too bad. Obviously they feel it's in their best interest to adopt those policies.

Old 02-18-2022, 11:30 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Quote:
Sounds like fun!
It is. Especially when one neighbor is simultaneously speaking to her sister on the phone in French, gets another call in Yiddish, talks to the grass guy in Spanish and me in English.

And she's not the only one. Another speaks her native language at home, then Spanish to her BF then interprets what he says to me in English.

The only problem some of have is one guy really wants to bring his Karaoke set up every time. I'm gonna sing hymns.

Old 02-18-2022, 12:30 PM

Quote:
They are sticking to real estate. Assisting people buying and selling real estate - which is what they do - entails engaging with customers who want to buy and sell real estate. Since it is such an intensively customer-centric business endeavor, it is a wise thing for them to devise policies on how they deal with those customers. If they use language in those policies that you don't like, once again, too bad. Obviously they feel it's in their best interest to adopt those policies.
Giving people preferential treatment based on their skin color and promoting literature that targets people based on their skin color seem to fly in the face of the The Civil Rights Act of 1964 that prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex or national origin.

Old 02-18-2022, 12:36 PM

Only in the paranoid mind of the modern American right wing can policies explicitly stating, "Equity ensures everyone receives fair treatment and equal access to resources, opportunities, and success," can somehow be translated into meaning that everybody is out to get white people.

Old 02-18-2022, 01:20 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,316,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

If you live in Houston, that's pretty much the way it is.
It doesn't look like it:

https://placesjournal.org/article/ho...?cn-reloaded=1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies