Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 10:24 AM

939 posts, read 424,746 times

Advertisements

So glad I got out of that crooked business a few years ago after being in it for over 20 years. The year I got out they jacked the required PAC fees $40 because they said they needed it. That year, haven’t checked since, NAR was the highest in political donations of any industry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 10:33 AM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
I am not surprised by this. I recently told a realtor I was looking for a house in a district where all the schools are 8 out of 10 or greater.

He told me I was racially insensitive for thinking that way and I should expand my search to include more diverse areas.
I will say this. I was looking at schools in Florida and they consistently rank lower than our schools in Illinois. Then I got to thinking...WHO exactly rates these schools? Something to consider.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:38 AM

596 posts, read 896,462 times
I'm confused. I thought you guys believe in capitalism and individual freedom.

National Association of Realtors is a private business entity, as far as I could figure.

If so, shouldn't they be able to implement any policy they deem appropriate or beneficial to them (obviously as long as it doesn't violate laws and regulations)?

Clearly, they must have found this to be at least beneficial to them. Otherwise, why would they do that?

If you are offended by this, then the next time you hire a real estate agent, ask them, "Are you a member of NAR?" And if they say yes, tell them you can't do business with them. Isn't that capitalism and individual freedom?

I personally find nothing in this offensive, but if there were more of you, consumers who do find this offensive, then NRA is just being stupid by knowingly offending a vast majority of consumers.

My suspicion is that that is not the case and that those who find this offensive are in the minority...At least, NRA must think so.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:40 AM

1,884 posts, read 1,004,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
That year, haven’t checked since, NAR was the highest in political donations of any industry.
Wow, didn't know that. Can't say I'm surprised, though. Real estate has been the most consistent source of money/power since we evicted the first sabre-tooth out of its rental cave

Old 02-17-2022, 10:45 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,214,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Racism is a very real and ongoing part of US history.
1) Blacks went north for good-paying jobs, not to flee Jim-Crow laws.

2) "Redlining" wasn't designed to be racist. It discriminated against the poor regardless of race. Banks didn't want to loan money for older houses in poor areas with high crime rates(they still don't).

3) The National Association of Realtors is not a governmental institution. It is a capitalist institution. Whatever policies it pursued was in accordance with its economic interests. If it is embracing wokism now, it does so because it believes it will profit. Corporations do not and cannot have morals.

4) White-flight didn't happen through some realtor conspiracy. It happened because leftists started forced-busing, and otherwise making white people miserable. Which they continue to do to this day.

5) To whatever extent blockbusting was an actual thing, it was used against whites to get them to sell cheap.

6) Stop presenting "steering" as if it is nefarious. When I applied for public-housing several years back, I talked to a very nice black lady who was the manager at one of the housing complexes. Without being too direct, she was encouraging me to apply for housing on a different side of town. The reason is, I'm white. The complex she worked at was nearly 100% black. I'm sure she felt like she was helping me, and she was.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:48 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
wokeness is a cancer.
I prefer to think of it as window dressing.

Koch Industries is the largest privately- held business in the US. It does not answer to public shareholders.

The family shareholders lean libertarian. It employs about 100,000 worldwide.

It employs a Diversity officer and global team.

I am rather fond of their slogan:

“ Be yourself. Be open. Be included.”

Old 02-17-2022, 10:57 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,164,931 times
LOL Woke Realtors. Most realtors that I know would sell their soul to the devil to sell that million dollar home in a fancy suburb compared to selling the same sized home in the hood. If there is one industry that consistently has the reputation of being a bunch of whores, it's realtors.

I'm sorry, I'm still laughing! Woke Realtors. I've heard it all now.

Old 02-17-2022, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillinICT View Post
So glad I got out of that crooked business a few years ago after being in it for over 20 years. The year I got out they jacked the required PAC fees $40 because they said they needed it. That year, haven’t checked since, NAR was the highest in political donations of any industry.
Hardly #1

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/nat...&id=D000000062

It’s politics blows with the wind.

PAC contributions are voluntary.

Depending on the Realtor Board collecting fees, it may be necessary to read the fine print and check a box to opt out of the PAC contribution.

I have never donated to a PAC, party or candidate and likely never will.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I will say this. I was looking at schools in Florida and they consistently rank lower than our schools in Illinois. Then I got to thinking...WHO exactly rates these schools? Something to consider.
There are 4,266 public schools in Illinois and 4,269 in Florida. Impossible to make a state by state comparison.

Performance is based on student enrollment at any given school, which is highly variable.

One could magically flip the student population between the so called best and worst schools in any state. The performance at the former worst school would soar while the performance at the former best school would plummet.

Generally speaking, wealthy families in Florida are more likely to opt for private school education than in Illinois.

Old 02-17-2022, 11:14 AM

2,709 posts, read 1,040,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The National Association of Realtors ( NAR) was formed in 1908. Its so called Code of Ethics was created in 1913.

The Great Migration was the physical movement of millions of black people from the rural south to the major cities in the north. The people fled Jim Crow laws and sought better opportunities in factories. Manufacturers welcomed the new source of cheap labor. At the time nothing prevented wage discrimination based on race or equal opportunity.

During the Great Depression, the Federal Government created foreclosure relief programs to help save homes from foreclosure. It and lenders in major cities identified communities that were worth saving with loans backed by the Federal Government versus not. The worthy white vs unworthy black communities were lined in red on maps. The process became known as “ Redlining” and persisted into the 70’s. NAR supported it.

What became of the foreclosed properties in black communities? White investors picked them up for a song, raised rents and ignored property maintenance- slum lords. Not like black people could easily move elsewhere.

NAR did not allow black brokers/ agents to join until 1961 and then only if the state allowed black people to be licensed and a brokerage was willing to sponsor a black real estate agent- very rare occurrence.

NAR fought tooth and nail to oppose state and federal Fair Housing legislation.

White real estate brokers/ agents substantially engaged in steering, a practice of influencing a buyer or renter’s choice of community which contributed to segregation.

Post WW2, white real estate brokers/ agents substantially engaged in “ blockbusting” whereby fear-mongering was used to induce panic sales at below market prices and white flight to the suburbs. Those properties would often be sold to white investors who extracted above market rents from black tenants while allowing their properties to deteriorate. In some areas, white agents facilitated resales to flippers who then sought to resell property to black people at inflated prices and lenders imposed different mortgage terms based solely on the race of the buyer.

And in the midst of all the churning, were white brokers/ real estate agents extracting commissions and referral fees.

The National Association of Realtors is just another example of institutional racism in the US. NAR sought to reinvent itself beginning in the 80’s as a champion of Fair Housing.

NAR has about 1.5 million members today most of whom are independent contractors who are paid a percentage of a closed sale price or a multiple of monthly rent in the case of rentals. If not for a requirement of the sponsoring brokerage or local real estate board, I suspect most licensed brokers/ agents would drop the NAR membership and pressure to contribute to the NAR and state association PACs.

Steering remains an ongoing challenge within the industry whereby some brokers/ agents continue to steer minority populations to communities of like kind as opposed to letting the buyer/ renter self determine where they want to live.

Wokeism in corporate America became a thing about 5 years ago. Diversity officers and consultants are in high demand to create the window dressing of inclusivity.

Racism is a very real and ongoing part of US history. One is challenged to grasp their own unearned privilege without understanding what has been denied to others who don’t look like you.
Today, most buyers find homes for sale on the internet, so there is little steering. They use a realtor to help navigate the purchase process (paperwork, inspections, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies