Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2022, 12:06 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
Why do anything that hurts us? Why do we want to destroy Russia? What is the objective...................
That's actually a good question, I think.

We want to destroy Russia economically because they have shown a willingness to leave Russian territory and bomb unarmed civilians in another country. They give "reasons" for doing this, but there is no justification. It cannot stand.
The alternative to destroying Russia economically is to destroy them militarily. That would cost lives and dollars; it's better to enlist the aide of the 40 countries who are willing and create a poorer, safer Russia.
Hopefully, they will become as poor and as harmless as Cuba.

I have high hopes for these sanctions. It may take years, but the cost in lives will be almost nil. Except for the people Russia kills and, of course, their own people who they send on a fool's errand to Ukraine.

Old 05-06-2022, 12:06 PM

1,863 posts, read 5,150,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
I'll tell you what changed on May 5th.

"There will actually be no border between Poland and Ukraine. This was stated by Polish President Andrzej Duda in an address to his citizens on Thursday, May 5.
“Between our countries – Poland and Ukraine – there will be no more borders. This border will not exist! So that we live together on this earth, building and restoring together our common happiness and common strength, which will allow us to repel any danger or any possible threat,” – said the President of Poland."

https://www.perild.com/2022/05/05/du...ne-and-poland/

Ukraine is going to be partitioned - the word is already out there.

That's what happened on May 5th.
I think, it may be a reasonable outcome.

Old 05-06-2022, 12:11 PM

5,731 posts, read 2,194,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
The left isn't inherently pacifistic. It is primarily anti-imperialist and anti-fascist. It was primarily leftists among westerners who went to Spain to fight Franco, so it is consistent for a leftist to oppose fascism in modern Russia. If a leftist opposed American imperialist intervention in Iraq, Panama, Nicaragua or Vietnam it is also consistent for us to oppose Russian imperialist intervention in Ukraine or Georgia. Self determination is an important principle and it is one the Russians are trying to deny Ukraine.
I don’t believe that is the reason, otherwise the left wouldn’t be turning a blind eye to evidence of far right neo Nazis groups in Ukraine. Also, the US is imperialist and has been for some time. Simply I think the left is easier to manipulate through media, and they enthusiastically buy in to whatever the “current thing” is with little questions asked. In the past the right was easier to manipulate, and they took us into Iraq with the “murica” attitude and hoorah support from conservatives. I think Trump has broken the rationality on the left, hopefully it comes back soon.

Old 05-06-2022, 12:12 PM

853 posts, read 337,346 times
Quote:
I don’t believe that is the reason, otherwise the left wouldn’t be turning a blind eye to evidence of far right neo Nazis groups in Ukraine. Also, the US is imperialist and has been for some time.
I am a leftist, I am telling you my reason for supporting Ukraine.

Old 05-06-2022, 12:15 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Really?

Do I have to dispel each and every Ukrofake now?

Because here is her whole briefing ( over 2 hours, which I would NEVER listen to under the normal circumstances, but thanks lord people there pointed at exact time when she was talking about the COOK BOOKS being destroyed in Ukraine, along with other books, referring to common roots and culture of Russians and Ukrainians. And that's how borsh and "Ukraine's exclusive rights" on it came about. ( not sure about the correctness of the date though.)

https://www.mid.ru/ru/foreign_policy/news/1808254/

Because it was not Zakharova that "was drunk" as this Ukrofake is insisting, but the amount of craziness promoting "Ukrainian superiority and uniqueness" that kept on mushrooming and propagandizing in Ukrainian state within the last eight years - that's what it's all about.

The fact that Russian officialdom always had its own ulterior motives and its own bottom line is a whole different story, but Ukrofake factory is trying to create propaganda now out of nothing.

I guess they are running out of good material for the moment being, but I am sure they will renew their effort in the nearest time.
What is this Ukrofake, more mindless Ukronazi-type jargon? Zakharova said it. The clip now circulates as a form of black humor mocking the constant nazi charges. A borscht recipe (or lack of one) now evidence of "Xenophobia - Nazism - Extremism." Poor housewives prevented from making borscht their favorite way.

Eastern Europeans now weigh in on what country has the best borscht. Whoever inserted the borscht example into the text misfired. Her possible post-podium inebriation said in Zakharova's defense, that even she found this ridiculous to where first being dosed with spirits helped. Some read into her body language that she was just embarrassed.

Here's the clip with English subtitles (what I first heard then thinking it a deep fake). Love how this one ends with Putin giggling:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1EKVAQm8ok

Last edited by EveryLady; 05-06-2022 at 12:23 PM..

Old 05-06-2022, 12:20 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
I'll tell you what changed on May 5th.

"There will actually be no border between Poland and Ukraine. This was stated by Polish President Andrzej Duda in an address to his citizens on Thursday, May 5.
“Between our countries – Poland and Ukraine – there will be no more borders. This border will not exist! So that we live together on this earth, building and restoring together our common happiness and common strength, which will allow us to repel any danger or any possible threat,” – said the President of Poland."

https://www.perild.com/2022/05/05/du...ne-and-poland/

Ukraine is going to be partitioned - the word is already out there.

That's what happened on May 5th.
Quote-mining - also called "lying by omission" - was a very popular tactic in the old USSR propaganda days.

Here's a quote with a bit more context:

Quote:
I believe that in the same way as we were able to protect our neighbors, so that they could return to their homes, we will be able to help them in the work of rebuilding a free, sovereign, independent Ukraine, which - I hope - will be for decades, God willing, for centuries, a brotherly state to the Republic of Poland, between which and us - Poland - as I hope prophetically said by President Volodymyr Zelenski, there will be no border, that this border will in fact not exist...
He's talking about open borders, EU-style.

Old 05-06-2022, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Quote-mining - also called "lying by omission" - was a very popular tactic in the old USSR propaganda days.

Or NATO protection, if only from Polish troops possibly themselves crossing the border? Some signal may being sent. And I really don't think its one that fit into a Putin playbook. Hungary now, that would be a different story.

Old 05-06-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I don’t believe that is the reason, otherwise the left wouldn’t be turning a blind eye to evidence of far right neo Nazis groups in Ukraine. Also, the US is imperialist and has been for some time. Simply I think the left is easier to manipulate through media, and they enthusiastically buy in to whatever the “current thing” is with little questions asked. In the past the right was easier to manipulate, and they took us into Iraq with the “murica” attitude and hoorah support from conservatives. I think Trump has broken the rationality on the left, hopefully it comes back soon.
The so-called left never turned a blind eye to the neo-Nazi ideology that Azov in particular adopted although to what practical impact is less clear. Multiple articles written over the years. Ukraine, in turn, has been somewhat effective in recent years in keeping promises to prosecute crimes. What about the other way around, for the separatists states have likewise committed many human rights abuses? Donetsk and Luhansk are black holes and veritable police states where free access is denied to human rights organizations and the international press. This written by a veteran of Donetsk torture-cells:

Quote:
While Western media has been continuously interested in Ukraine’s marginal right-wing groups and their attacks on minority groups, there has been far less public scrutiny of the worse and more frequent infringements of human rights in Crimea and in the Donbas.

This concerns the penitentiary systems in occupied territories, among others, where even Russia’s deficient rule of law is not or, at best, partly functioning.
https://hir.harvard.edu/donetsks-iso...orture-prison/
Multiple accounts of torture and rape within Donetsk prison cells since 2014. Stelkov (the Russian commando -former FSB agent who served as the original so-called DPR defense minister) himself said about one-half of the separatist troops were criminals or what he called random characters although the others are willing to fight.

https://jacobinmag.com/2022/03/donba...e-russia-putin

Stories on forced subscription within Donetsk and Luhansk today, and on-ground conditions:
https://www.reuters.com/world/conscr...or-2022-04-04/
https://www.dw.com/en/how-ukraine-se...age/a-61608760

Old 05-06-2022, 01:46 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
The US has publicly admitted, that it was their intelligence provided to Ukraine, that facilitated the attack on the Moskva. Ditto some of the deaths of Russian generals. The US is making it clear, that it's become more deeply involved, and is aiding the Ukrainian side with more than simply providing munitions.

They were talking about it on Russian "60 minutes," quoting New York Times;

"WASHINGTON — The United States has provided intelligence about Russian units that has allowed Ukrainians to target and kill many of the Russian generals who have died in action in the Ukraine war, according to senior American officials.
Ukrainian officials said they have killed approximately 12 generals on the front lines, a number that has astonished military analysts.
The targeting help is part of a classified effort by the Biden administration to provide real-time battlefield intelligence to Ukraine."

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/04/u...d-ukraine.html

And obviously, when Russian public hears all that, they see more proofs of everything Putin was talking about before the invasion of Ukraine, and why Ukrainian state in its current shape and form was a threat to Russia. They receive confirmation of American aggression and the preparations that Americans conducted in Ukraine prior to the latest events.

So if anything, I see more of support to the military complex in Russia, and the kind of government that is less friendly to the West.

Quote:
In the meantime, P is getting ready to go to the hospital for surgery on his thyroid cancer, while his appointed substitute manages the war. Rumors are flying, that some of those close to him are planning a coup while he's out of commission.

Here's a blogger with some interesting info on that:

The Low-Down: The Reason Putin Coup Rumors Are Suddenly Rampant
I dunno what to tell you here Ruth, because -

#1 Consider the source that these kind of news are coming from - it's Navalny kind of crowd.

#2. I don't see anything unusual about Putin's state of health at this point, and

#3 As I've mentioned to you, I noticed at least three well-known figures in Russian entertainment that left Russia for Israel recently.

One of them was the show host that was hosting Stephen Colbert back in the day b.t.w. - highly popular person in Russian show biz - Ivan Urgant if you remember him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWnVV3-0wgw&t=335s

The other two are one of the best comedians and a well-known singer; all are the top stars of the Russian pop culture.

Don't remember all the details, but I think they were critical of this war ( made a public statement about it?) and this was not tolerated by both authorities and society alike, so they took off.

So as far as the possible "coup" goes - I see someone like Shoygu standing next in line after Putin under the circumstances, or people of his kind.

Old 05-06-2022, 01:53 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post

Except for I gave the link to the whole text, so you could see it for yourself.

I quoted something that I found to be a key phrase, the rest was the "white noise" to me.

Quote:

Yeah-yeah, yeah, they loved the flowery speeches back in Soviet times too - you just had to know how to read between the lines)))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies