Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2022, 09:26 AM

20,724 posts, read 19,363,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Of course Putin wanted to take Kyiv if only to 'influence' a new government. That was one of his stated goals. He had billboards set up in Russia proclaiming: We want the demilitarization and denazification of Ukraine. Russia did not have enough force to take Kyiv, as it discovered after how many deaths?

Which is not the case here. Putin wrote a long essay last summer that I have not yet read: https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blog...ial-ambitions/

Anne Applebaum who did commented right before the invasion it showed Putin clearly did not understand Ukraine who will not ally with Russia in some Putin-imagined union. There are no "actual" Russians in Ukraine, except for some now Russian citizens in Donbas (and Crimea). This war began in 2014 as Putin pushed hate-buttons.

The right metaphor is not game or sport but more Shakespearean tragedy. Act 1 of the Putin invasion failed. Now we are on to Act 2. Where Zelenskyy fights to hold on to territory for a future negotiation. And Putin fights for enough to bring home to Russia to justify this invasion to his now hate-filled public. As for Ukrainian hate, it is replenished in full.

Like, duh. Perhaps the Russian soldiers were there to sightsee in Kyiv. The problem is they crossed the border without getting their passports stamped, or whatever was needed.

It is the case in Eastern Ukraine. However the opposition is the most formidable this time. I also have no idea why you or anyone else takes what politicians say at face value. Do you think Russia has announced its plans? Russia is full of propaganda lies but its always square when it comes to its battle plans ? I never care what people say. I look at irrefutable facts like the logistics , man power etc. They might be able to try to get Kiev to surrender , but Russian could not , repeat , take Kiev humanly with 40 000 troops.

Again its almost as if you know nothing about Ukraine. There is no guerilla warfare in Ukraine using anything but civilians. The only place would be near the Carpathian mountains. I predicted many civilian casualties because of this because I predicted that Ukraine would fight in the proximity of civilians. There is no other way. Total war is always quickly decided in Ukraine.

Apparently some people are blind. The first people killed were Russian loyalist. Shocking I know that Russians might start to hate back. Unfortunately brain washed Americans that remain clueless despite every independent polling data I have proved for yeas like Pew, Putin is not a dictator. He has to deal with his own hard liners . American idiots think they are the only one who could stage a coup which they are doing now all around the world in an economic world war which will be starving millions of poor BTW.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:27 AM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
So you think that because Russia threaten Kiev that it was their intention to take the city? Have you ever play a game or watched a sport? Russia did not have enough force to humanly take the city.
They lost an awful lot of troops and equipment there for having not tried to take it.

Either way, it's either getting pushed back or gross incompetance for engaging rather than encircling and taking heavy losses as a result.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:27 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Day 45.

Kyiv still stands.
You surprised?
I am. Russia lost a bunch of soldiers and equipment in that attempt. Now they are re-grouping for an attempt at another target.
Putin reminds me of my cat when he fails.. "Well, I didn't really want to do that, anyway (licks paws)" Now Putin has a new commander armed with another 400 tanks to replace the ones left in Ukraine.
It's amazing that Russian soldiers are willing to invade. They saw what happened to the last bunch.

OK. Come on. Ukraine has 5000 Javelins, 1400 Stingers and lots of other goodies to use. Russia never expected that, and is not too sure what to do.
Who knows what will happen? I thought at this point Kiev would be destroyed and urban warfare well underway.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I also get the sense that the longer this drags on, the more people will be meh. We already live in a world where thanks to the internet people have short attention spans and even shorter memories, such that today's news is already ancient news.

I already see a lot more backlash comments against Ukraine in various website comments sections as well as YouTube videos.

Ukraine's First Lady SLAMS the US in Vogue interview

The search data already shows Ukraine is not as entertaining anymore. When inflation bites harder they won't know where Ukraine is on the map .

Old 04-10-2022, 09:32 AM

I kept hearing about these Russian mobile creamatoriums....then I finally realized that they may just be seeing Russian tanks.

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2008/...-south-ossetia

Old 04-10-2022, 09:33 AM

Quote:
The search data already shows Ukraine is not as entertaining anymore. When inflation bites harder they won't know where Ukraine is on the map .
Yep, but does that change anything?

They're still getting weapons and aid while the sanctions remain in place.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
You surprised?
I am. Russia lost a bunch of soldiers and equipment in that attempt. Now they are re-grouping for an attempt at another target.
Putin reminds me of my cat when he fails.. "Well, I didn't really want to do that, anyway (licks paws)" Now Putin has a new commander armed with another 400 tanks to replace the ones left in Ukraine.
It's amazing that Russian soldiers are willing to invade. They saw what happened to the last bunch.

OK. Come on. Ukraine has 5000 Javelins, 1400 Stingers and lots of other goodies to use. Russia never expected that, and is not too sure what to do.
Who knows what will happen? I thought at this point Kiev would be destroyed and urban warfare well underway.

Russia never expect that? They have seen it in Syria and Yemen on Western armor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpPpCWEZjSo

What they were hoping for is for Ukraine to be less willing to fight. That I will agree disappointed them. That was due in part to Ukrainian killing Russian loyalists in the east like Mayors and other people that have power. Several of them just disappeared.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:36 AM

2,666 posts, read 1,185,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Sounds like he worked overnight to prepare that plan. I guess maybe he wants to be in charge of it ?
After going through this hell I can't blame him. I would want to start a world peace organization too.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:46 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,341,588 times
Quote:
It is the case in Eastern Ukraine. However the opposition is the most formidable this time. I also have no idea why you or anyone else takes what politicians say at face value. Do you think Russia has announced its plans? Russia is full of propaganda lies but its always square when it comes to its battle plans ? I never care what people say. I look at irrefutable facts like the logistics , man power etc. They might be able to try to get Kiev to surrender , but Russian could not , repeat , take Kiev humanly with 40 000 troops.

Again its almost as if you know nothing about Ukraine. There is no guerilla warfare in Ukraine using anything but civilians. The only place would be near the Carpathian mountains. I predicted many civilian casualties because of this because I predicted that Ukraine would fight in the proximity of civilians. There is no other way. Total war is always quickly decided in Ukraine.

Apparently some people are blind. The first people killed were Russian loyalist. Shocking I know that Russians might start to hate back. Unfortunately brain washed Americans that remain clueless despite every independent polling data I have proved for yeas like Pew, Putin is not a dictator. He has to deal with his own hard liners . American idiots think they are the only one who could stage a coup which they are doing now all around the world in an economic world war which will be starving millions of poor BTW.
The question is not whether *I* know anything of Eastern Ukraine but whether Putin does. Of course, how Eastern Ukraine will react is relevant to future acts of this mess. It's been of interest from the beginning, with much thread time already devoted to it. FSB intelligence gone wrong etc.

Who listens to politicians? Throw away lines, not helpful. Taking up unnecessary thread space.

And who mentioned guerrilla warfare? I never got beyond Acts 1 and 2. You're referencing my comment Ukraine not wanting to ally? Ukraine will be hard to occupy but that's hardly an original thought. Depending, of course, on any future boundary lines. Almost certainly the possibility of future guerrilla warfare was not part of any original Putin consideration.

Old 04-10-2022, 09:49 AM

26,787 posts, read 22,549,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
Considering that atrocities occur in every war (that's just the nature of the game) and on all sides, the uniformly one-sided narrative pushed by much of western media today should trouble many. Reporting on the news should be just that. It shouldn't be taking the allegations made by Zelenskyy as gospel; even in those cases where the media says that Zelenskyy claims something took place, the level of outrage from these same people that follows gives their supposed objectivity away. I just want the news, not opinion pushed as news. Why is that so hard to find these days?

See, the problem is, the atrocities were going on in Ukraine already for some time, ( for the last eight years to be exact,) but Western media stopped doing its job probably two-three years ago, objectively informing public of what Ukrainian state is.

I would guess this happened after Zelensky came to the office.

Before that, you could find the material on the ultra-right forces in Ukraine.

After Zelensky came to the office, (2019) the Nationalists supposedly simply disappeared in the thin air.

Yeah right.

Last edited by erasure; 04-10-2022 at 10:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies