Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2022, 09:21 PM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
At the same time, the official civilian death count is at about 1 thousand. So ...
Yeah no kidding. As I said ealier did the Russians adopt Napoleanic tactics?. Lining up like Pickett did at Gettysburg? yeahhhhhh....no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2022, 09:27 PM

10,172 posts, read 20,773,094 times
Really? Where’s all the footage of the bodies? This would be perfect fodder for crushing Russia’s morale and resolve. I read reports or 7K dead Russian soldiers. I doubt it, sounds more like war propaganda. No footage of these mass casualties and Ukraine claims they didn’t have he fire power to fight this war. I’m not buying it.

Old 03-25-2022, 05:29 AM

27,134 posts, read 13,429,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
You think you are proving your point with the abundant evidence that you provided that its a world empire? Which war in the last two decades was "successful". Yes, great having military bases everywhere was useful tactically....
The US has a handful major military bases in Europe, and gains a lot from working with allies in numerous areas, whilst also has access to European military facilities as well as having some influence in Europe.

Having overseas military bases or joining an alliance does not constitute an Empire.

As for your argument, withdrawing from NATO would merely weaken the US and make it more difficult for the US to operate in or influence the global stage.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:41 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
At the same time, the official civilian death count is at about 1 thousand. So ...
Right. Everyone understands that number is way low........orders of magnitude low. The Ukrainians included.

Old 03-25-2022, 11:42 AM

19,767 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Really? Where’s all the footage of the bodies? This would be perfect fodder for crushing Russia’s morale and resolve. I read reports or 7K dead Russian soldiers. I doubt it, sounds more like war propaganda. No footage of these mass casualties and Ukraine claims they didn’t have he fire power to fight this war. I’m not buying it.
There are all sorts of pics and videos of Russian KIA and other being killed in various armored vehicles.

Old 03-25-2022, 12:53 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
People don't "win" in any war, but we'll have to wait until it's over to know who benefitted the most.

Old 03-25-2022, 03:06 PM

18,718 posts, read 7,597,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
And for me this refutes the argument that "Putin won't stop with Ukraine". He does not have the money or the manpower to go running though Europe and his young male population is not enough to recruit more. Not to mention, they estimate over 200K Russians have fled since this started. Wanna bet that is young men?

My concern is what happens when it is clear Putin can't win on the ground / with regular weapons.
Putin knows that if he uses nukes, his entire country will be reduced to ashes in a matter of minutes, and him with it. Along most other countries including the U.S. He can kiss good-bye any hopes he had of controlling Ukraine's pipelines, getting their farm products and fuel, etc. I think he's quite determined not to let that happen, no matter what the result is for the United States or Ukraine itself.

I believe the possibility of the "nuke thing" is "slim to none". And we should proceed on that assumption. Or we will have blown a historical opportunity to stop a rampaging, medieval bully from returning Europe to the Dark Ages. Where if you have a big enough army you can kill and destroy anything you want and no one will stop you.

Old 03-25-2022, 03:35 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Not the first time in history Russia badly misjudged an opponent. Their war with Japan was also bumbled badly. A couple decades later they learned from their mistakes and saved Europe from the Nazis. I think after this debacle Putin is either reigned in or removed but that doesn't mean Russia won't be a problem for NATO down the line.

Old 03-25-2022, 03:37 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,462,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolhand68 View Post
Russians were seen with numerous on site cremation machines to quickly send their war dead into the memory hole. Those number might or might not be high but no doubt the war has stalled and Russia badly planned and executed an invasion over a wide area.

Old 03-25-2022, 03:41 PM

25,689 posts, read 18,773,845 times
One thing is for sure. The Russian military is not living up to their reputation. Sure, they've been brutal and all, but they haven't got what should have been a rather easy and quick takeover of a nation with a significantly smaller military, have they? Also, Ukraine has done better than most would have expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies