Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2022, 08:00 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
This really proves the point of many Gay Activists from many years ago. There are women who are masculine and attracted to other women, they’re called masculine lesbians. The mantra of gay activists, was that one should not be oppressed because of their sexual orientation, because of innate masculine or feminine orientation, or by the clothing they choose to wear, it to be happy and accepting of the way you were made, and not try to change who you are. The message was clear, that gender roles, and gender identity, should not be restrictive, and oppressive. There should be nothing wrong with a woman who prefers to wear men’s clothing, or perhaps prefer to wear her hair like a man would. If a woman wants to be an airline pilot, a diesel mechanic, a construction worker, a state trooper, she should be able to do it without being oppressed, labels can be oppressive, she shouldn’t feel she has to adhere to what society expects or indicates, that she has to change who she is. The same with men; that men should not be ridiculed if they want to be a kindergarten teacher, a social worker, own a salon, to do make up, to be an interior decorator, etc. That people should love themselves for the way they are, the way they were made, and not try to change themselves. Labels can be oppressive, gender stereotypes are oppressive. What the transgender person does, rather than alleviate stereotypes, they do is the opposite. Their goal is to reinforce gender stereotypes, and thus trade one stereotype for another. They believe in gender stereotypes.
Thank you for ^ perspective. I had never considered this.

I understand what you mean about affirming gender stereotypes.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:04 AM

9,511 posts, read 4,346,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Is it your opinion that an abused child will most likely have no impact on the way you live your life? So, do nothing because it’s not impacting you, right?
False equivalency.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
I believe it’s both, some especially young people gets caught up in causes, social media, and since there is a lot of attention some would think it’s cool or a way to get attention. Teachers at the school where I live said they noticed a couple who claim it were from a bad home and seemed to want attention. Some mental issues, it’s rare but those born with both organs and a extra chromosomes, but not common.

My issues is with all the silly gender claims which makes me believe it’s a trend more then anything. No you are not a they/them, no males and females are men and women not cisgender, and I have no idea what a pan sexual is. Maybe it’s a preference for whatever that is, but one is still either a biological male or a biological female.
As I understand it, there are more than 100 pronouns and it grows by the day. It’s exhausting and strikes me as a fad- a way for someone to differentiate themselves from the masses. I choose not to play this game.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:05 AM

25,447 posts, read 9,813,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
Is it your opinion that an abused child will most likely have no impact on the way you live your life? So, do nothing because it’s not impacting you, right?
I think our definition of abused child may differ in this case.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:06 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,260,346 times
It's understudied, but there are possible links to various types of pollution that could be affecting development in the womb.

But in the end. If it's something we can document as a physical brain structure difference after someone is born there isn't much to do but treat it. Transitioning is far and away the best treatment option for those with gender dysphoria.

Quote:
“The male and female brain have structural differences,” he says. Men and women tend to have different volumes in certain areas of the brain.

“When we look at the transgender brain, we see that the brain resembles the gender that the person identifies as,” Dr. Altinay says. For example, a person who is born with a penis but ends up identifying as a female often actually has some of the structural characteristics of a “female” brain.

And the brain similarities aren’t only structural.

“We’re also finding some functional similarities between the transgender brain and its identified gender,” Dr. Altinay says.
Research on the Transgender Brain: What You Should Know

Analysis finds strong consensus on effectiveness of gender transition treatment

Study Finds Long-Term Mental Health Benefits of Gender-Affirming Surgery for Transgender Individuals

Effects of Medical Interventions on Gender Dysphoria and Body Image: A Follow-Up Study

Old 04-05-2022, 08:07 AM

24,641 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Same here. There's nothing frightening about transgender folks.
There's nothing freighting about people who don't accept the body they have?

We call that mental illness.

When Sammy Sosa bleaches his skin, the left calls it self hatred. When Caitlyn Jenner removes her genitals, they call it trans empowerment.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
It was/is the way my doctors and I approached it. I feel it's the best and safest way. This is one thing that absolutely should not be rushed. I'm cleared for surgery (as of last year) but can't afford it, and Medicaid won't cover it, though they do cover the hormones, which I'm thankful for.
My state (adjoining your state) Medicaid explicitly covers gender affirming healthcare ,deemed medically necessary. It’s a huge variable, state to state.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:18 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,024,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9162 View Post
This really proves the point of many Gay Activists from many years ago. There are women who are masculine and attracted to other women, they’re called masculine lesbians. The mantra of gay activists, was that one should not be oppressed because of their sexual orientation, because of innate masculine or feminine orientation, or by the clothing they choose to wear, it to be happy and accepting of the way you were made, and not try to change who you are. The message was clear, that gender roles, and gender identity, should not be restrictive, and oppressive. There should be nothing wrong with a woman who prefers to wear men’s clothing, or perhaps prefer to wear her hair like a man would. If a woman wants to be an airline pilot, a diesel mechanic, a construction worker, a state trooper, she should be able to do it without being oppressed, labels can be oppressive, she shouldn’t feel she has to adhere to what society expects or indicates, that she has to change who she is. The same with men; that men should not be ridiculed if they want to be a kindergarten teacher, a social worker, own a salon, to do make up, to be an interior decorator, etc. That people should love themselves for the way they are, the way they were made, and not try to change themselves. Labels can be oppressive, gender stereotypes are oppressive. What the transgender person does, rather than alleviate stereotypes, they do is the opposite. Their goal is to reinforce gender stereotypes, and thus trade one stereotype for another. They believe in gender stereotypes.
The woman who says she wants to dress like a man is using gender stereotyping to describe her preferences.

I think gay activists fought for the ability for individuals to be able to choose their own stereotypes or not choose their own stereotypes. They didn't fight for the dismissal of stereotypes...just the acceptance of individuals choosing or not choosing a stereotype.

As for genetics. Three people in how many generations and somehow it is linked to genetics...lol...that's not how it works.

Old 04-05-2022, 08:29 AM

27,575 posts, read 28,680,428 times
How do we get rid of gender stereotypes when reality mostly tends to reinforce those stereotypes?

Old 04-05-2022, 08:40 AM

30,169 posts, read 11,809,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
There's nothing freighting about people who don't accept the body they have?
That is more telling about you than it is them. I am fine with trans people living their lives, its no big deal. Gay people used to frighten others, like those on the religious right. Again that tells more about the religious right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies