Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2022, 09:46 AM

20,131 posts, read 16,215,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
What’s the problem?

You disagree with the SCOTUS majority’s conclusion in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commissionthat “political speech is indispensable to a democracy, which is no less true because the speech comes from a corporation”?
Absolutely.

Old 04-23-2022, 09:51 AM

3,494 posts, read 2,836,349 times
Is there a method to Desantis’s alleged madness? I know he wants to run for President. But is he going to run for re-election as Governor?

Old 04-23-2022, 09:54 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,946,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Remember when Democrats used to hate big, powerful, non tax paying corporations?
Remember when the Conservatives rejected the one-person-one-vote democratic standard during the Civil Rights movement of the 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s …?

Old 04-23-2022, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Absolutely.
I do too.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:05 AM

19,291 posts, read 17,174,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordBronco1967 View Post
Governor DeSantis is right to be spiteful against a corporation that wishes to sexualize and confuse children, rather than provide them with "magical" family-friendly entertainment. Children deserve the sanctity of the innocence of childhood for as long as they can. There was a poll that stated that Republicans and Independents do not believe Disney can provide family-friendly entertainment.

And, is Disney not acting "spiteful and vindictive, like a child having a tantrum", themselves?
Is Disney not allowed a voice as a tax paying citizen or is only DeSantis approved comments allowed? Let the people speak on how they feel about the Disney Parks with their attendance and let the state step in when they break a valid law to hold those guilty accountable.

But don't eliminate in one fell swoop an infrastructure implemented and approved by the state that has worked well and benefitted all involved. Will he be going after Universal next for their Harry Potter World which was lambasted by the religious right as they tried to ban the books in public schools and now its a Theme Park!

I wonder why the states GOP and Religious right aren't worried about all the strip clubs I've see in Lauderdale and Miami just driving around, I guess their billboards are more tasteful..

Old 04-23-2022, 10:13 AM

1,744 posts, read 963,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Remember when the Conservatives rejected the one-person-one-vote democratic standard during the Civil Rights movement of the 50s 60s 70s 80s 90s …?
……and most of them were Democrats.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralZone View Post
……and most of them were Democrats.
Yet another right wing talking point.

The Conservative Fantasy History of Civil Rights

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2012...il-rights.html
The civil rights movement, once a controversial left-wing fringe, has grown deeply embedded into the fabric of our national story. This is a salutary development, but a problematic one for conservatives, who are the direct political descendants of (and, in the case of some of the older members of the movement, the exact same people as) the strident opponents of the civil rights movement.

It has thus become necessary for conservatives to craft an alternative story, one that absolves their own ideology of any guilt. The right has dutifully set itself to its task, circulating its convoluted version of history, honing it to the point where it can be repeated by any defensive College Republican in his dorm room. Kevin Williamson’s cover story in National Review is the latest version of what is rapidly congealing into conservatism’s revisionist dogma.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:22 AM

6,155 posts, read 2,912,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Is Disney not allowed a voice as a tax paying citizen or is only DeSantis approved comments allowed?
Disney is allowed to have a voice and they must be willing to face any potential consequences that come form that. Governor DeSantis is also allowed to have his opinion and he must be willing to face any potential consequences that come from it, too.

Old 04-23-2022, 10:36 AM

5,655 posts, read 6,243,266 times
This thread is quite long so I haven't read it in it's entirety. I apologize if this has been raised previously. I think there are some misconceptions about how the special tax district works. It isn't that Disney pays no tax. It does, Its is a self-governing district. And I've read that some estimate this move by the Florida legislature may cost taxpayers about $1 billion in transferred bonds and a loss of over $100 million a year in tax revenue. I hope it's worth the political points.
https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/21/disn...dissolved.html

Old 04-23-2022, 10:36 AM

6,160 posts, read 2,773,411 times
Default Desantis just raised property taxes on a million Floridians.

Residents in two central Florida counties could be responsible for a large tax bill after Governor Ron DeSantis signed a measure that eliminates Walt Disney World's special improvement district.

On Friday afternoon, DeSantis signed into law a bill to dissolve the Reedy Creek Improvement District, a special district that came into existence in 1967 that allowed Walt Disney World to essentially self-govern, according to Reuters.

As a result, residents of Orange and Osceola counties, where Walt Disney World is located, could become responsible for the district's liabilities of between $1 billion and $2 billion, which could lead to potential double-digit tax increases for county residents.

On Wednesday, Florida's GOP-controlled state Senate passed a measure to remove the special self-governing status from Walt Disney World in that state by a vote of 23-16. On Thursday, the measure went to the House, where lawmakers voted 70-38 in favor of dissolving the Reedy Creek Improvement District.

https://www.newsweek.com/anti-desant...x-bill-1700103

Yeah raising property takes and giving Disney a big tax break will definitely stick it the the libs I thought Republicans were against raising taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies