Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2022, 10:00 AM

13,272 posts, read 7,321,255 times

Advertisements

I support all gun sales to go though federal firearms license holders. I also support increasing the number of FFL's. ATF spent lot of years getting rid of FFLS who operated out of their homes not sure if that is still the case now.

The reason I support transfers though an FFL because it's the only way to prove you had nothing to do with that firearm after it left your control.

The ATF has and can visit you after recovering that gun lets say you sold that gun to someone at a gun show because you bought the gun new from a FFL the serial number will always lead to you. Now the ATF has arrested that person that you did a private sale to who is claiming you knew the gun was going to a criminal try and work out a plea deal? If you go though an FFL the responsibility is on them to follow the law you have proof because the serial number was recorded in his book. If the ATF visits you simply point them to the FFL you transferred the gun though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2022, 10:22 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,228,587 times
That sounds like a reasonable proposal.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:31 AM

2,330 posts, read 962,697 times
That's how I bought mine. I don't see a big deal other than the price gouging for transfers for less than 10 minutes of paper work. It shouldn't cost me $75 to do a transfer as a buyer.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:34 AM

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
It is impossible on private sales and why should it cost me to pass down a gun to a grand child?

Old 04-22-2022, 10:38 AM

8,382 posts, read 4,371,285 times
Of course. That and I think background checks need to be tied into medical histories. Not only mental cases but opiate addicted. I've seen far too many addicts brag about buying guns which is a federal crime.

Old 04-22-2022, 10:40 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,521,399 times
No, I don't. There is no reason to go through any registered government agent simply for two private individuals to transfer a privately owned product. There is no reason to put an extra burden of time or cost on American citizens. In addition-by default any transfer through a FFL IS REGISTRATION. The SN of the gun and the name of the buyer and seller are recorded.

Now, lets face it, these proposals have nothing to do with "safety". If the people proposing them cared about saving lives, they would insist on long mandatory prison terms for criminals, nationwide "3 strikes" laws and every reasonable effort to keep human garbage in prison and not preying on innocent victims. And of course they would support making it easier for law abiding people to legally carry a concealed firearm to protect themselves from vicious criminals. Yet none of that is what they are proposing. The people proposing these laws are often the very same ones that insist on letting vicious criminals out of prison and want to strip law abiding people from their most effective means of self defense.

But lets be honest-these proposals are NOT about saving lives. They are about burdening a law abiding populace and providing a database of firearms owners as their continuous efforts to strip law abiding citizens of their civil rights expands year after year, at least in regressive, backwards states, and with efforts at the national level.

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
While it sounds good in theory, it is the thugs that are using firearms to intentionally hurt people. Research it and let me know how many acquired theirs from an FFL. I'm leaning towards a big fat ZERO, which is the same way they'll continue to bring harm forward.

Remember 9/11? It wasn't guns that took those lives!

If a criminal wants to harm someone, they will find a way.

19,724 posts, read 10,131,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
I support all gun sales to go though federal firearms license holders. I also support increasing the number of FFL's. ATF spent lot of years getting rid of FFLS who operated out of their homes not sure if that is still the case now.

The reason I support transfers though an FFL because it's the only way to prove you had nothing to do with that firearm after it left your control.

The ATF has and can visit you after recovering that gun lets say you sold that gun to someone at a gun show because you bought the gun new from a FFL the serial number will always lead to you. Now the ATF has arrested that person that you did a private sale to who is claiming you knew the gun was going to a criminal try and work out a plea deal? If you go though an FFL the responsibility is on them to follow the law you have proof because the serial number was recorded in his book. If the ATF visits you simply point them to the FFL you transferred the gun though.
I am for fewer of the unconstitutional gun laws. "shall not be infringed"

Old 04-22-2022, 10:42 AM

5,324 posts, read 18,273,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchoc View Post
Of course. That and I think background checks need to be tied into medical histories. Not only mental cases but opiate addicted. I've seen far too many addicts brag about buying guns which is a federal crime.
And you did your due diligence in reporting them?

Old 04-22-2022, 10:47 AM

7,359 posts, read 6,531,454 times
Get rid of the need for FFLs altogether. Buying a gun should be no different than buying a bottle of milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies