Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 09:47 AM

19,804 posts, read 18,099,591 times

Advertisements

No.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 09:48 AM

45,232 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Joe Biden blathering and drooling about gun control and violence here, while shipping billions of dollars weapons you and I paid for to despots all over the world.
Every gun law is a lie used against us.

Old 04-23-2022, 01:03 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,357,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
That is very simple...its not very smart for a 'tyrant' to allow the people he rules over, to have the SAME grade of weapons, as he does!

That is an invitation for TROUBLE!

Why do you think the ATF has such extreme punishment for violating the Class 3 laws?!!! That is very simple to understand. Its so funny to hear gun dealers talk about how 'patriotic' they are, and how they would never submit to having their gun rights violated....when they are doing that very thing every day! (Go into any gun shop and ask to buy a full automatic firearm)...they will not be very patriotic!!
I agree 110%.

But you can't blame the gun shops, they're just following the law. Either that or they lose their business and end up in prison. At least in state's where their state law allows for it you can buy a fully automatic weapon providing that the purchaser fill out the proper paperwork, register it with the Federal government and pay a $200 tax stamp. Once it's approved you can take possession of the weapon. Because of those Class 3 laws the cost of a fully automatic weapon is prohibitively expensive. That's because of the limited supply of weapons that were manufactured before May 19, 1986. Those are the only fully automatic weapons that can be lawfully owned.

I don't think that it's right and it's indeed unconstitutional but it is what it is. Unfortunately the National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed and upheld by the Supreme Court in 1937. The Firearms Owners' Protection Act of 1986 amended the Gun Control Act of 1968 and established the cut off date for the fully automatic weapons that are legal to own.

The Supreme Court's task is to interpret the Constitution as it applies to existing laws. There job is to not legislate from the bench. But because they've become politicized they often do. The problem is who holds the Supreme Court accountable for making unconstitutional decisions? Justice Stephen Breyer made the outrageous claim that there is no Constitutional right to own a firearm. In spite of the fact that the founders of this nation clearly intended it to be indeed an individual and not collective right based on their writings in the Federalist Papers. Fortunately for us the majority of the court did not agree with Breyer and his three other cohorts in the Heller/McDonald decision. Thank God that we didn't have five Stephen Breyer's at the time. Four was bad enough. But the fact that it was a 5 to 4 decision is scary enough.

The problem we have is that too many people believe that the Constitution is a living breathing document that hasn't kept up with the times. That it can be amended from the bench without having to undergo the lengthy and difficult amendment process. Which requires two-thirds of both houses of Congress to propose an amendment, or two-thirds of the state legislatures can ask Congress to call a national convention to propose amendments. To ratify amendments, three-fourths of the state legislatures must approve them, or ratifying conventions in three-fourths of the states must approve them. Good luck with that Lefty's.

Old 04-23-2022, 01:07 PM

3,338 posts, read 2,141,544 times
I'm moderately favorable towards abolishing the ATF, at least at the Federal level.

Old 04-23-2022, 01:07 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
No, we should not have FFLs.

The purpose of an FFL is to make sure you pass certain tests and have certain characteristics when you want to buy a gun.

And if you don't pass, they are to deny you the sale.

BINGO - instant Constitutional violation, right there.

The 2nd amendment does NOT say, "A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed unless the person doesn't fulfill various qualifications nor fill out the proper forms."

Last edited by Roboteer; 04-23-2022 at 02:05 PM..

Old 04-23-2022, 11:55 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,608,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
I agree 110%.

But you can't blame the gun shops, they're just following the law. Either that or they lose their business and end up in prison. At least in state's where their state law allows for it you can buy a fully automatic weapon providing that the purchaser fill out the proper paperwork, register it with the Federal government and pay a $200 tax stamp. Once it's approved you can take possession of the weapon. Because of those Class 3 laws the cost of a fully automatic weapon is prohibitively expensive. That's because of the limited supply of weapons that were manufactured before May 19, 1986. Those are the only fully automatic weapons that can be lawfully owned.

I don't think that it's right and it's indeed unconstitutional but it is what it is. Unfortunately the National Firearms Act of 1934 was passed and upheld by the Supreme Court in 1937. The Firearms Owners' Protection Act of 1986 amended the Gun Control Act of 1968 and established the cut off date for the fully automatic weapons that are legal to own.

The Supreme Court's task is to interpret the Constitution as it applies to existing laws. There job is to not legislate from the bench. But because they've become politicized they often do. The problem is who holds the Supreme Court accountable for making unconstitutional decisions? Justice Stephen Breyer made the outrageous claim that there is no Constitutional right to own a firearm. In spite of the fact that the founders of this nation clearly intended it to be indeed an individual and not collective right based on their writings in the Federalist Papers. Fortunately for us the majority of the court did not agree with Breyer and his three other cohorts in the Heller/McDonald decision. Thank God that we didn't have five Stephen Breyer's at the time. Four was bad enough. But the fact that it was a 5 to 4 decision is scary enough.

The problem we have is that too many people believe that the Constitution is a living breathing document that hasn't kept up with the times. That it can be amended from the bench without having to undergo the lengthy and difficult amendment process. Which requires two-thirds of both houses of Congress to propose an amendment, or two-thirds of the state legislatures can ask Congress to call a national convention to propose amendments. To ratify amendments, three-fourths of the state legislatures must approve them, or ratifying conventions in three-fourths of the states must approve them. Good luck with that Lefty's.
Now that is where I totally disagree with you!!!

Take a look at any gun dealer, in any state in the country...Id venture to guess they all think of themselves as 'real patriots'...(but in reality), they are the opposite of that...

If they are 'allowing' infringement', (just so they can keep their stores open, and/or remain out of jail)...that is not exactly the definition of Patriotism!

being patriotic is NOT easy or convenient...its risky. Whose to say they will not also COMPLY with the next new gun laws the govt creates too? (again, just to remain free and keep their store open?) Do you see the direction Im going on yet?

Look at it another way...lets say the American colonists obeyed and complied with everything the King of England asked of them, (to remain free and to preserve their quality of life)...they would not be celebrated for being patriotic if they complied with EVERYTHING they were asked! LOL

Same scenario, if you happened to be living in Germany under Hitlers rule...if you obeyed and complied and have the Nazis everything they asked...of course you would remain free, be able to keep your stores open, keep doing business, etc.

Hopefully you can see why gun dealers are in the WRONG for complying with Govt infringement. I dont care if the govt closes their store or sends them to prison either...THIS IS America, we dont bow down just to preserve our freedom or quality of life, and especially not to a govt violating our Constitutional rights.

At the end of the day, historical 'patriots' are honored and celebrated...for TAKING HUGE RISKS, (with their life, freedom, quality of life, and a 1000 other things), NO ONE has ever been recognized and honored for full obedience and compliance to whatever they are asked...that is technically a coward that does that, someone who is scared to defend their rights.

Old 04-24-2022, 05:26 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
Constitution isn't worth the paper it was printed on why do I believe this because depending on the political leaning of judges who sit on the supreme court laws are determined to be constitutional or not.

Example is during WW2 citizens born in America were forcibly taken from their homes and put in concentration camps purely based on their race. It was challenged as unconstitutional the supreme court of the time rubber stamped it as constitutional.

The Gun control act of 1968 isn't going anywhere as long as that firearm linked to me I will never do a private sale if your doing private sales your a fool. Some here have claimed a receipt is good enough you need a 3rd party with a legal record of the transaction to prove you had nothing to do with where that firearm ended up.
"Constitution isn't worth the paper it was printed on"

It IS when followed.

Yes some do NOT follow what he Founding Fathers meant.

It is up to the citizenry to elect those that DO follow the Constitution.

The Constitution is NOT the problem!

Old 04-24-2022, 05:34 AM

59,106 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Now that is where I totally disagree with you!!!

Take a look at any gun dealer, in any state in the country...Id venture to guess they all think of themselves as 'real patriots'...(but in reality), they are the opposite of that...

If they are 'allowing' infringement', (just so they can keep their stores open, and/or remain out of jail)...that is not exactly the definition of Patriotism!

being patriotic is NOT easy or convenient...its risky. Whose to say they will not also COMPLY with the next new gun laws the govt creates too? (again, just to remain free and keep their store open?) Do you see the direction Im going on yet?

Look at it another way...lets say the American colonists obeyed and complied with everything the King of England asked of them, (to remain free and to preserve their quality of life)...they would not be celebrated for being patriotic if they complied with EVERYTHING they were asked! LOL

Same scenario, if you happened to be living in Germany under Hitlers rule...if you obeyed and complied and have the Nazis everything they asked...of course you would remain free, be able to keep your stores open, keep doing business, etc.

Hopefully you can see why gun dealers are in the WRONG for complying with Govt infringement. I dont care if the govt closes their store or sends them to prison either...THIS IS America, we dont bow down just to preserve our freedom or quality of life, and especially not to a govt violating our Constitutional rights.

At the end of the day, historical 'patriots' are honored and celebrated...for TAKING HUGE RISKS, (with their life, freedom, quality of life, and a 1000 other things), NO ONE has ever been recognized and honored for full obedience and compliance to whatever they are asked...that is technically a coward that does that, someone who is scared to defend their rights.
"Id venture to guess they all think of themselves as 'real patriots'.."

The ONLY thing correct in this sentence is "GUESS"!

Old 04-24-2022, 05:42 AM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenaS62 View Post
Exactly. What part of shall not be infringed upon do people not understand?
The left doesn’t understand any part of it.

They claim January 6th was a threat to democracy, then they want to abolish the 2nd amendment.

They can’t have it both ways.

Old 04-24-2022, 05:54 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,663,209 times
I have no problem with all transfers going through an FFL. For me it's just for the ease of selling things. I drop whatever i've sold to my buddy (an FFL) and he does all the rest. I don't have to deal with anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies