Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2022, 08:28 AM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It’s actually never, “just a clump”of cells. That description is not accurate scientifically. It’s not about emotion.

If a women wants to abort, she probably should figure that out as quickly as possible because the other life matters too and the earlier and less developed, the better.

Late term abortions for convenience should be outlawed because killing a viable, sentient being is generally considered to be murder.
It is a clump of cells to people who have a different opinion. It is about the emotions for some people on both sides of the coin. One side calling a fetus a child or a baby like it is after it’s born isn’t really an accurate description in terms of development. Calling it a lump of cells doesn’t include the eventual development of a baby at terms end.

Most women do figure it out early. Denying a woman an abortion despite her wishes puts her developing pregnancy that can’t survive outside the womb as more important than her own desires. A woman desire to live her life as she wants trumps that of a fetus. No woman should have a baby just because that’s what the body is capable of. Women can control reproduction as she sees fit. No matter how uncomfortable that is for others.

LTA are highly regulated and the doctors that do them are few and far between. 1 percent of abortions are LTA. I seriously doubt women change their minds at 8 months with a healthy baby. Then actually find a doctor willing to abort a healthy baby at that stage of development.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:30 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,964,408 times
Quote:
As early as 18 weeks. The range is said to between 18-25 weeks. I would personally err on the side of caution when discussing ending the life of humans.
You are confusing the beginning of development of the physical structure required for sentience/consciousness with the appearance of sentience. The brain has to be built before the mind can move into it.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...of%20gestation.

Quote:
But when does the magical journey of consciousness begin? Consciousness requires a sophisticated network of highly interconnected components, nerve cells. Its physical substrate, the thalamo-cortical complex that provides consciousness with its highly elaborate content, begins to be in place between the 24th and 28th week of gestation. Roughly two months later synchrony of the electroencephalographic (EEG) rhythm across both cortical hemispheres signals the onset of global neuronal integration. Thus, many of the circuit elements necessary for consciousness are in place by the third trimester.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:56 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
It is a clump of cells to people who have a different opinion. It is about the emotions for some people on both sides of the coin. One side calling a fetus a child or a baby like it is after it’s born isn’t really an accurate description in terms of development. Calling it a lump of cells doesn’t include the eventual development of a baby at terms end.

Most women do figure it out early. Denying a woman an abortion despite her wishes puts her developing pregnancy that can’t survive outside the womb as more important than her own desires. A woman desire to live her life as she wants trumps that of a fetus. No woman should have a baby just because that’s what the body is capable of. Women can control reproduction as she sees fit. No matter how uncomfortable that is for others.

LTA are highly regulated and the doctors that do them are few and far between. 1 percent of abortions are LTA. I seriously doubt women change their minds at 8 months with a healthy baby. Then actually find a doctor willing to abort a healthy baby at that stage of development.
What it is is not an opinion but rather fact. Keeping abortion on demand limited to the first trimester or even up to 15 weeks seems reasonable to me. Beyond that, I do believe it should be banned for anything other than serious medical issues, in other words, abortion allowed past the first trimester or 15 weeks via medical exemptions.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
You are confusing the beginning of development of the physical structure required for sentience/consciousness with the appearance of sentience. The brain has to be built before the mind can move into it.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...of%20gestation.
Do you support abortions without limits? If not, at what point would you cap abortions for non medical reasons?

Old 05-15-2022, 09:05 AM

18,420 posts, read 19,036,217 times
Quote:
What it is is not an opinion but rather fact. Keeping abortion on demand limited to the first trimester or even up to 15 weeks seems reasonable to me. Beyond that, I do believe it should be banned for anything other than serious medical issues, in other words, abortion allowed past the first trimester or 15 weeks via medical exemptions.
Fact or not women can have their own ideas how they view abortion.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:22 AM

3,418 posts, read 1,448,084 times
Default Restoring federalism, our Constitution's big-tent system

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
The people since it's the people that sends their representatives to the federal government and state government to represent them. That's what it was intended to do.

The people choose their governors and state legislators to represent them. That's a lot better than unelected federal judges making up law and ignoring the 10th amendment like Roe.
BINGO!

Keep the federal government out of it as our Constitution commands under the Tenth Amendment and allow our Constitution’s intended big-tent system to work in which each State and the people therein work this matter out.

Of course, doing so would be a big step in helping in restoring federalism and hometown rule over those matters which, “. . . in the ordinary course of affairs, concern the lives, liberties, and properties of the people, and the internal order, improvement, and prosperity of the State” [see Federalist No. 45], and that is repulsive to our control freak crowd who have been obnoxiously using federal force for generations to impose their personal sense of fairness, reasonableness, or justice.as the rule of law in every state in the country and on every person in the United States.

Let us not forget what Justice Black emphatically stated:

"The public welfare demands that constitutional cases must be decided according to the terms of the Constitution itself, and not according to judges’ views of fairness, reasonableness, or justice." – Justice Hugo L. Black ( U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1886 - 1971) Source: Lecture, Columbia University, 1968
JWK

Old 05-15-2022, 09:41 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,931,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Ok, you people want States Rights 10th Amendment, but WHO is that? Governors? State Legislators? Or the PEOPLE in a State?

As I stated in previous post, the State of Florida put an amendment to the State Constitution for a vote by the people to ban Gay Marriage. It FAILED to pass. Now you can argue that the voters elect State Officials, but are they are lock step and barrel for everything a candidate or political party stands for? Put it before the PEOPLE in your state before these state officials ban abortion. Might just surprise you.

Had this discussion with my Republican husband. As the father of 2 daughters, he started SCREAMING about forcing rape victims to bear the rapist baby. I am also an ectopic pregnancy survivor. Besides my doctor, my husband was also screaming at the hospital staff to save my WIFE and Mother of my daughter. BLANK the "baby" in her fallopian tube.

We had this discussion with a commentary on TV regarding PA Senatorial Candidate Kathy Barnett who was born from the rape of her 11 year old Mother. F Bombs went flying from husband over that. "Her Grandparents could have killed her 11 year old Mother forcing her to give birth at so young an age". She is saying look what I grew up to be. Nobody can know the future. She could also have grown up to become a serial murderer as well. Think about that, Kathy.
It is ironic that a central argument in Justice Alito’s drafted opinion is that the 14th Amendment protects only those unenumerated rights that are “deeply rooted in this nation’s history and tradition” when the 14th Amendment was ratified at a time in our nation’s history when half the American populace could not vote even after it had been ratified.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Fact or not women can have their own ideas how they view abortion.
It’s fact that an abortion ends a human life. Ignoring that fact is called, being in denial.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:44 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,421,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by albert648 View Post
LMAO. Politifacts.

Bernie wanted to spend $10 TRILLION on giveaways. Warren, AOC, Buttigieg, Biden aren't much better. Last I checked, it was DEMOCRATS throwing a fit because everyone else and even some of their own party wouldn't let them triple the federal budget or something.
Presidential Data 2020
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._e...can_presidents
https://towardsdatascience.com/which...s-a6422c6b00d7

You continue to embarrass yourself by stating what you wish was the case, when it is in fact, not true. Above you will find other sources which demonstrate that you are woefully ignorant of the facts. There is nothing wrong in recognizing that your perspective was mistaken when presented with information that is not consistent with your view. You can take solace in that there are other things you are still wrong about, but are not yet aware of.

Old 05-15-2022, 09:46 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,285,966 times
Quote:
It’s fact that an abortion ends a human life. Ignoring that fact is called, being in denial.
It's the world of the left. It's not in their DNA to just be logical and honest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies