Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2022, 10:54 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,748,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
What’s your master plan to remove the hundreds of millions of guns currently in circulation?
Seems to me the shooters in many sensational mass shootings where victims are random tend to be teens/ young adults who recently legally acquired the firearms and did so in anticipation of the big event.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:55 AM

11,142 posts, read 10,713,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Seems to me the shooters in many sensational mass shootings where victims are random tend to be teens/ young adults who recently legally acquired the firearms and did so in anticipation of the big event.
Seems to me that in just about every one of those cases there were warning bells that were ignored by the people who were supposed to be paying attention to them.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:57 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
I'm a teacher of 22 years and have a conceal carry license. I would gladly take up the call to be armed in school if allowed. I have taken enough classes but would be willing to do more training if asked. By Illinois law I can't bring my firearm into the school so I keep it in my vehicle. Doesn't do me or anyone else inside the school any good if an armed intruder were to enter. Luckily we have an armed police officer in the building otherwise we be sitting ducks just like those kids and teachers in that Texas school.
Then if someone breaks into your vehicle and steals your gun they'll be screaming bloody murder over that? You're kind of in a no win situation, I feel for you. That really sucks.

GUN FREE ZONES DO NOT WORK PERIOD!!!! You really have to wonder who comes up with these asinine gun laws and how anyone could support them? People who lawfully carry firearms are not the problem. All these laws accomplish is to criminalize a basic right to a viable means of self defense.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:59 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If you don't trust them to carry a firearm, you shouldn't be trusting them with your children.
Well I do. Not the same skill set.
I wouldn't trust a policeman educating my children.
Teachers have been trained - have a required masters - in education. Spent at least 6 years full time learning how to teach.
Not so much with firing a gun.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:02 AM

13,460 posts, read 4,292,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 4 mvp View Post
What if its the teacher that is the next nutjob?

It's all about %. 99.9% of all gun owners are law abiding citizens. I rather take 99.9% than not at all. Life is not 100% guaranteed but I take 99.9% of gun owners that won't kill me and will protect me while I'm in their building.

That's a lot better than politicians making laws they can't enforce and relying on the police to save you 24/7.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:04 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,255,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
It's all about %. 99.9% of all gun owners are law abiding citizens. I rather take 99.9% than not at all. Life is not 100% guaranteed but I take 99.9% of gun owners that won't kill me and will protect me while I'm in their building.

That's a lot better than politicians making laws they can't enforce and relying on the police to save you 24/7.
Just don't believe 99% of all gun owners are law abiding.
How did you come up with that number?
Think of all the small business owners who own guns to protect their business who cheat on taxes or hire illegal workers or pay less than legal wages or misrepresent their products. That class of gun owners alone are doing lots of things that are not exactly law abiding.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:04 AM

8,338 posts, read 2,965,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by number 4 mvp View Post
What if its the teacher that is the next nutjob?
What if that doesn’t happen? What if…..

Old 05-25-2022, 11:05 AM

29,533 posts, read 19,626,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timaea View Post
You are definitely not your average teacher. Most teachers that I've known -- mine and now my daughter's -- have never held a gun in their hand in their entire lives.

I agree with the poster who pointed out that many teachers, perhaps the majority, are not keen on becoming expert gun handlers. I can think of a few who I wouldn't want to handle a gun (ineptitude, lack of skill, poor eyesight, poor coordination, indecisiveness, easily scared, etc). This proposition esentially calls for teachers to be trained as paramilitary personnel.
No it's not as if every single teacher would be trained or should be, but someone in a school who is comfortable with this such as the Principal and at least one more staff member should be trained. If we are responsible for the safety of children then we need all the tools at our disposal to be able to keep them safe. If no staff member in a school is comfortable then either get a full time resource officer in the school or hire private armed security guards. Right now the "gun free zones" in place around schools is obviously not working.

Old 05-25-2022, 11:06 AM

8,338 posts, read 2,965,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
Radical idea I know, but how about better gun laws like the civilised world?
Which gun laws do bad guys adhere to? Which civilized world and gun laws you referring to?

Old 05-25-2022, 11:06 AM

7,511 posts, read 4,355,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
If you don't trust them to carry a firearm, you shouldn't be trusting them with your children.
Great response!!!

I feel the same way about those in the government that wish to abolish the 2nd Amendment along with those that vote for and support them. If they can't trust those of us who lawfully possess firearms? Then how in the hell could we ever trust them? FJB

Quote:
"There are only a few laws in history that are universally applicable. One of these is that the ruling classes do not want the peasantry armed. They will do what they can to convince you that to be armed is dangerous. They will attempt to do this while they themselves are surrounded by armed body guards. Idiots will not notice this hypocrisy and sycophants will ignore it. Fools will surrender their arms in the name of "safety". They will insensibly surrender their liberty at the same time. This is how slaves are made".
Quote:
The debate over gun control can be summed up thusly: Those of us who don't like guns in the hands of our non-costumed brethren, will vote to ensure men with guns, under the guise of the "law," will come and take the property that is rightfully yours, killing you should you resist our will sufficiently.

This is what we call "violence by-proxy" and makes the voter for violence no less culpable in the extortion and death that will ensue.

As Stefan Molyneux correctly observed; if a person claims they are non-violent and are for “gun control” they are not truly anti-gun nor are they non-violent people - because the reality is that guns and violence will be needed to disarm innocent law abiding people.

This is because those people who claim they are anti-gun and anti-violence, who claim to support “gun control,” will need the credible threat of police violence and the police’s guns to take away other people’s guns should they resist the attempt to further centralize their monopoly on violence.

So those who claim to be anti-gun and anti-violence are really very pro-gun and very pro-violence. They ultimately believe that only government officials (which are of course portrayed as reliable, honest, moral, and virtuous) should be allowed to have guns. This obviously flies in the face of reality as the 20th century has proven once and for all.

It’s important to note that those who advocate this type of centralized monopoly of violence do so as cowards, because it’s not their lives on the line, rather they advocate others using violence on their behalf in
order to force their misguided views on innocent people who wish to do nothing other than protect themselves and other innocents.

There is no such thing as "gun control," there is only centralizing gun ownership in the hands of a small, political class and the forces they control which, as recent history has proven is a murderous nightmare for the peace loving, disenfranchised, and disarmed citizenry.--Ron Danielowski
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies