Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you be watching the House January 6 Committee hearing?
YES-WATCHING 70 24.56%
NO-NOT WATCHING 215 75.44%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 06:42 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
A question I have on something presented by the committee that I cant find an explanation for. Maybe someone else has the answer.

It was said during the the testimony that the mob was 40 feet away from Pence. So this armed, blood thirsty mob calling for the death of Pence got within 40 feet of the VP and no shots were fired either by the armed mob or the secret service/ police to protect the VP?

The Secret Service/ police did not feel there was enough of a threat to the life of the VP to use deadly force?

I did not see any testimony to explain why force was not used to prevent the assasination of the sitting VP.
Does anyone have a link to that testimony?
They were in different rooms/hallways. But the distance between the VP and the mob was 40 feet. They could not see each other. I believe there was a floor plan shown but I do not know how to search for that.

Old 06-18-2022, 06:45 PM

7,948 posts, read 9,160,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
They were in different rooms/hallways. But the distance between the VP and the mob was 40 feet. They could not see each other. I believe there was a floor plan shown but I do not know how to search for that.
Ok thank you. The quotes I read from the Congressman did not mention the fact they were in seperate rooms and had no visual contact of each other.

Thank you for the clarification.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:11 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
They showed a diagram during the hearings Thursday.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:30 PM

13,276 posts, read 7,326,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
What had Rehl done that was seditious conspiracy? He was charged with it, what had he done?

https://storage.courtlistener.com/re...63.401.0_2.pdf

Seems like all he'd done was trespass, but apparently his biggest crime was that he'd been a part of the proud boys. and that is all.

As you can see in my post above, that “1776 Returns,” has absolutely nothing in it about the Capitol building, no plans, nothing. Apparently it wasn't even shared.

Apparently things were so "covert that no one even knew about them.
They have him on seditious conspiracy. Federal law states a conspiracy is an agreement between 2 parties to break federal law. These guys are guilty of being dumb as a box of rocks they went on social media and incremated themselves. He was charged by a grand jury with most of what the DOJ has to prosecute them. Their only chance is a plea deal facing up to 20 years in Federal prison they take the deal. They lose their gun rights, and likely get 8 years in prison. Not to mention loss of employment having a felony on their record.

The fact that they incriminated themselves shows how scammed they were by Trump who didn't lift a finger to pardon any of them. He saved those pardons for his rich friends.

Old 06-18-2022, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Yikes, 4 against how many? Do you seriously think anything can be taken with the odds of 4 to thousands?

Apparently none, since there are people who don't believe they can carry them that way. They can only be carried "slung on their hips", remember.
Four that “WE KNOW OF.”

Old 06-18-2022, 08:43 PM

23,641 posts, read 12,561,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490 View Post
They have him on seditious conspiracy. Federal law states a conspiracy is an agreement between 2 parties to break federal law. These guys are guilty of being dumb as a box of rocks they went on social media and incremated themselves. He was charged by a grand jury with most of what the DOJ has to prosecute them. Their only chance is a plea deal facing up to 20 years in Federal prison they take the deal. They lose their gun rights, and likely get 8 years in prison. Not to mention loss of employment having a felony on their record.

The fact that they incriminated themselves shows how scammed they were by Trump who didn't lift a finger to pardon any of them. He saved those pardons for his rich friends.
Wow, that sounds generalized and parroted. You did not answer my question, probably because you did not read the docs that were linked. I'll ask again, what had Rehl done that was seditious conspiracy? Prove that they're not going after him with that charge simply because he was affiliated with the PB's.

Quote:
FACTUAL BACKGROUND
Without any evidence that Mr. Rehl actually engaged in or promoted any violent conduct, the government has argued that Mr. Rehl presents a concrete prospective risk of danger on the basis of his alleged leadership role in the Proud Boys’ Ministry of Self-Defense (“MOSD”) and a handful of statements, which are nothing more than “rhetorical bravado” protected by the First Amendment.

I. Under the Facts in this Case, the First Amendment Prohibits Use of Mr. Rehl’s Membership in the Proud Boys as a Basis for Detaining Him
The Proud Boys is a lawful fraternal organization. Mr. Rehl has a right protected by the First Amendment to associate with other members of the Proud Boys, as a leader, a “trusted lieutenant” or otherwise.

The First Amendment prohibits government from “abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.” This Court has “long understood as implicit in the right to engage in activities protected by the First Amendment a corresponding right to associate with others.” Protected association furthers “a wide variety of political, social, economic, educational, religious, and cultural ends,” and “is especially important in preserving
political and cultural diversity and in shielding dissident expression from suppression by the majority.” Government infringement of this freedom “can take a number of forms.” We have held, for example, that the freedom of association may be violated where a group is required to take in members it does not want, where individuals are punished for their political affiliation, or where members of an organization are denied benefits based on the organization's message.
Americans for Prosperity Foundation v. Bonta, 141 S.Ct. 2373, 2382 (2021) (internal citations
omitted).

Indeed, when activity that falls within the shadow of the First Amendment is alleged to be criminal, courts are required to apply the strictest standards of judgment in ensuring that only intentional criminal activity is prosecuted and not constitutionally protected actions, beliefs or associations. See NAACP v. Claiborne Hardware Co., 458 U.S. 886, 918-19 (1982) (boycott activity, which was not itself violent, that resulted in the loss of business profits was constitutionally protected); Noto v. United States, 367 U.S. 290, 297 (1961) (“Throughout our decisions there has recurred a distinction between the statement of an idea which may prompt its hearers to take unlawful action, and advocacy that such action be taken.”)
https://storage.courtlistener.com/re...63.401.0_2.pdf

Old 06-18-2022, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Four that “WE KNOW OF.”
Who used a gun that they allegedly had been carrying, whether to point at another or to shoot them? How many did they shoot, or shoot at? Did just the act of carrying them result in an overthrown government?

Old 06-18-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Who used a gun that they allegedly had been carrying, whether to point at another or to shoot them? How many did they shoot, or shoot at? Did just the act of carrying them result in an overthrown government?
Intent. Look it up.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Intent. Look it up.
That does not answer my questions.

Old 06-18-2022, 09:58 PM

6,738 posts, read 4,423,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJuanStar View Post
I never heard a coup to overthrow a government without weapons especially a nuclear super power. These are the idiots running the country and people ask why is it in the toilet.

You dont really need weapons for a coup to overthrow a presidential election. It was almost illegally done. To get pence out of danger, the secret service wanted to put him in an armored limousine, he said no. Feared they would take him or possibly fly him out of the country. Replace him, and get the results Trump wanted. No guns necessary. Now Trumps crying about equal time. He can testify at the hearings anytime he likes. They would be glad to question him. Dont hold your breath on that one. Always remember, when asking you a question, they usually already know the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies