Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2022, 03:55 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,757,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Everyone woman who gets pregnant is putting her life and health at risk. Every single one. And keep in mind that maternal death in America is one of the highest in the developed world.

How is something to do with the reproductive system *not* reproductive health?
Most abortions are elective and have nothing at all to do with the health of the mother. An abortion is a procedure and it’s sole purpose is the terminate the pregnancy and remove the fetus. It’s not reproductive healthcare.

Old 07-09-2022, 03:59 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayanne View Post
I agree with everything you said. "Reproductive health" is indeed a euphemism in most cases of abortion.

Groups on both sides of the abortion issue like to use certain words to try to give their viewpoint more credence: anti-choice, pro-death, baby killers, bodily autonomy. I prefer to just call a spade a spade. It's an abortion, or termination of pregnancy.
"Reproductive health" is NOT a euphemism for abortion. Abortion is one aspect of reproductive health. Reproductive health also includes PAP smears, tubal ligation, hysterectomy, oophorectomy and other procedures related to the vagina, ovaries, uterus and fallopian tubes. Abortion is one of many types of reproductive health procedures.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:03 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Most abortions are elective and have nothing at all to do with the health of the mother. An abortion is a procedure and it’s sole purpose is the terminate the pregnancy and remove the fetus. It’s not reproductive healthcare.

Again, every pregnancy is a risk to a woman's health and life. Every. Pregnancy. Even pregnancies that start healthy.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Again, every pregnancy is a risk to a woman's health and life. Every. Pregnancy. Even pregnancies that start healthy.
Pregnancies can pose a risk to the health and life of the mother but most pregnancies do not.

The best way to avoid the risk that a pregnancy might pose is to not get pregnant. Abortions can also pose risks although most do not.

I don’t see abortions as reproductive healthcare. I see abortions as a medical procedure meant to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.

There are some abortions that occur to save the life of the mother. Those would be for health reasons and the abortion would be a lifesaving procedure. Most abortions, however are elective and are because the woman does not want to be a mom.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:12 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,452,288 times
Quote:
Pregnancies can pose a risk to the health and life of the mother but most pregnancies do not.

The best way to avoid the risk that a pregnancy might pose is to not get pregnant. Abortions can also pose risks although most do not.

I don’t see abortions as reproductive healthcare. I see abortions as a medical procedure meant to terminate an unwanted pregnancy.

There are some abortions that occur to save the life of the mother. Those would be for health reasons and the abortion would be a lifesaving procedure. Most abortions, however are elective and are because the woman does not want to be a mom.

Your choice to change the goalposts means nothing when the fact is that abortion is reproductive healthcare.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Your choice to change the goalposts means nothing when the fact is that abortion is reproductive healthcare.
I’m not the one changing language and goal posts to try to make abortion sound like something it isn’t

Old 07-09-2022, 04:19 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Elective abortions are a convenience only made possible by advances in science, our willingness to intervene in a natural process, and convincing ourselves that there's it's a good thing with no moral ambiguity whatsoever . I GET the arguments in favor or abortion and I've always been prochoice up to a point myself, but even so I've always known that was just me, as a woman, wanting that out so our life plans wouldn't have to change. I know it's not a good thing, but it is a practical thing and I'm at peace with it. But we've become so jaded and flippant about it that nobody seems to realize it's NOT a good thing and that we should be grateful for even having an option up to 12-15 weeks. At that point we have to accept what life has given us, through our own actions, and that it's only all about us until it isn't.

There should always be exceptions for health reasons of mother or child (the only real "reproductive health" situations) and that's not something any politicians can or should control, we must accept the decisions of the healthcare professionals who understand the guidelines, and that can be monitored to prevent abuse. Things will slip through the cracks for sure because there's no such thing as perfection, but I can live with that.

Old 07-09-2022, 04:19 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,962,441 times
Quote:

The medical community, including health insurance companies, define abortion as healthcare. Doesn't matter what any individual person wants to call it

Old 07-09-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The medical community, including health insurance companies, define abortion as healthcare. Doesn't matter what any individual person wants to call it
I didn’t think health insurance companies covered elective abortions. If they defined it as healthcare, wouldn’t it be covered?

Old 07-09-2022, 04:23 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Redefining things is what we do best though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies