Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2022, 12:44 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
Help me understand. You had a sore throat, so why bother testing for COVID, Strep, or see your Doc in the first place? Would you have done all this before COVID

What are you not understanding? When I get sick, I want to know what it is so that I can treat it to get better and to know if it's contagious so as to not spread it. Since covid seems to be the most prevalent illness going around the last few years and since I had at-home covid tests on hand, I tested for covid. When that failed, I went to a minute clinic since I don't have any at-home strep tests. My throat was on fire for several days. When it was not better on day 3, I found an appointment for that morning. They apparently do a covid test no matter what.

Before all this covid I would have given such an illness a few days to clear on it's own then seen a doc. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have tested for covid though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2022, 12:51 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,284,508 times
Quote:
Asking for a source for this is like asking a source for the sky is blue

Go look at the real world results of all your vaccinated friends becoming sick like dogs.

Meanwhile, I never had as far as I know, am unvaccinated.

There is no BigPharma product be it drug or vaccine that makes you healthy. None. That’s all snake oil. What works is daily discipline to eat right and exercise 2-3 hours a day.
If you cannot source it there is no reason to believe it.

Few of my vaccinated friends ar getting sick at all. Most who have done so have young children.

All it takes to disprove your claim about big Pharma is one example. Here are several:

My older son was diagnosed with leukemia at age 13. Without treatment it would have been fatal. Thanks to Big Pharma he is alive and well and will be 47 in a few weeks.

Antibiotics routinely return sick people to health.

Treatment of high blood pressure prevents heart attacks, strokes, and kidney failure, keeping people healthy.

Quote:
They did run trials on Paxlovid as a prophylaxis and it failed. But it was on the table.

It’s actually an important question, how can Paxlovid work if it doesn’t prevent viral replication (aka works as a prophylaxis) since it’s MOA is inhibiting an enzyme used for viral replication.

Paxlovid almost probably doesn’t work. We have 1 study from Pfizer saying it does in unvaccinated folk pre-Omicron. Let’s wait for some studies done by independent CROs!
It did not work as prophylaxis. So?

It does inhibit viral replication.

Almost probably?

Israel:

https://www.fdanews.com/articles/208...micron-variant

"Pfizer’s Paxlovid (nirmatrelvir, ritonavir) significantly reduced the risk of severe COVID-19 infection or mortality, Israeli researchers reported.

The study used the database of Clalit Health Services, Israel’s largest healthcare provider, and examined 180,351 individuals. Eligible participants for the study tested positive for COVID-19, were at high risk of developing severe COVID-19 and had no contraindications for Paxlovid use.

The researchers concluded that Paxlovid is effective against COVID-19, including against the Omicron variant, regardless of vaccine status.

The drug appeared more effective in older patients, immunosuppressed patients and patients with underlying neurological or cardiovascular disease, reported Ronza Najjar-Debbiny, a physician at the Lady Davis Carmel Medical Center in Haifa, and colleagues in the journal Clinical Infectious Diseases."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
The vaccine doesn't stop the contraction, spreading, or dying from COVID. This is explained before you even get the vaccine.

You can have 4 boosters shots and still pass COVID to your grandmother. And your grandmother can have 4 boosters and still catch COVID.

The best defense is a healthy lifestyle. You can't vaccinate your way out of a pandemic... Because the vaccine doesn't stop the pandemic from spreading.

https://www.contagionlive.com/view/i...gainst-omicron
Washington State data, not considering boosters:

https://doh.wa.gov/sites/default/fil...Vaccinated.pdf

"Summary
Unvaccinated 12-34 year-olds in Washington are
• 1.8 times more likely to get COVID-19 compared with 12-34 year-olds who have completed the
primary series.
• 3.1 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 compared with 12-34 year-olds who have
completed the primary series.
Unvaccinated 35-64 year-olds are
• 2.1 times more likely to get COVID-19 compared with 35 - 64 year-olds who have completed the
primary series.
• 3.6 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 compared with 35 - 64 year-olds who have
Unvaccinated 65+ year-olds are
• 3.1 times more likely to get COVID-19 compared with 65+ year-olds who have completed the
primary series.
• 3.5 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 compared with 65+ year-olds who have
• 4.2 times more likely to die of COVID-19 compared with 65+ year-olds who have completed the
primary series."

Quote:
We have no evidence they’re important for the elderly or anyone. Link to me an RCT with a primary end point of all cause mortality or all cause disease reduction in any age group. These studies were never done.
Pfizer did one.

https://www.paxlovidhcp.com/clinical...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

COVID-19-related hospitalization or death from any cause through Day 28: no deaths in the treated group, 12 in the placebo group. Delta variant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
I check our county's covid stats every day. The numbers of folks that have died, in a county of millions, is 1 or 2 a day. And virtually EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM had underlying health conditions, or were over 80 years old.

The death of a family member is sad, but to continue this hysteria over a virus that is equivalent to the seasonal flu, is disgusting.
The death rate is still higher than for flu, and you ignore the morbidity suffered by survivors.

Old folks and those with underlying health conditions are not important, eh?

Old 07-13-2022, 01:06 PM

3,113 posts, read 939,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
If you cannot source it there is no reason to believe it.
Source for me the sky is blue and the grass is green.

Quote:
Few of my vaccinated friends ar getting sick at all. Most who have done so have young children.
Few?

Quote:
All it takes to disprove your claim about big Pharma is one example. Here are several:
Disprove what? No ill will towards your son, and obviously medicines have saved lives as well as cost lives.

Quote:
Antibiotics routinely return sick people to health.

Treatment of high blood pressure prevents heart attacks, strokes, and kidney failure, keeping people healthy.
These topics are complicated and if you want, start a thread for them, I'll be happy to show your rosy picture isn't so rosy.

Quote:
It did not work as prophylaxis. So?

It does inhibit viral replication.
If it inhibited viral replication it should also work as a prophylaxis.

Not a scientific study, just a retrospective analysis. There are dozens of studies of this type, some far larger, showing Ivermectin works fyi.

We need an RCT.

Quote:
Pfizer did one.

https://www.paxlovidhcp.com/clinical...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

COVID-19-related hospitalization or death from any cause through Day 28: no deaths in the treated group, 12 in the placebo group. Delta variant.
First of all, no one should trust a study done by Pfizer. Second, I'm talking about the vaccines, not Paxlovid here.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
What are you not understanding? When I get sick, I want to know what it is so that I can treat it to get better and to know if it's contagious so as to not spread it. Since covid seems to be the most prevalent illness going around the last few years and since I had at-home covid tests on hand, I tested for covid. When that failed, I went to a minute clinic since I don't have any at-home strep tests. My throat was on fire for several days. When it was not better on day 3, I found an appointment for that morning. They apparently do a covid test no matter what.

Before all this covid I would have given such an illness a few days to clear on it's own then seen a doc. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have tested for covid though.
Hmmm, I guess we're from different planets. I'd never worry about knowing what the cause of my sore throat was, and I know there is pretty much nothing a doc can prescribe for it anyways. Antibiotics are overkill and pain meds, why? Just let it heal naturally.

When you go to a Doc complaining about being sick, they feel pressured into prescribing you something to make you feel happy. Almost always that Rx will prolong your illness rather than shorten it. But I guess you get the psychological satisfaction of "doing something" - placebo.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
And still die from covid after that.
Risk is lower, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
^^^!!

Now they're getting it. Of course, many lives had to be destroyed, unnecessarily, before that happened

As for how many 'vaccinated' vs un'vaccinated'?

In Britain, Ireland, Israel, Portugal, etc - the majority are the 'vaccinated'. They like to call it 'long Covid' or 'SADS', or 'normal, this always happens when over a thousand athletes collapse on the field in a single year', or kids having heart attacks in higher numbers - I'm sure the resident pretend doctor/virologist will be on here shortly to tell us all that what big pharma says is the truth - no conflict of interest with anything they say.

Now, 2 years later, after businesses were destroyed, kids were harmed, a rise in child abuse and domestic abuse, suicides, people being refused care for non Covid issues, people dead because no early treatment allowed, hospitals getting chunks of money for every declared "Covid death" (true or not)....NOW they want to say, we need to live our lives without all this misplaced fear.
If 100% of the population were to be vaccinated, then 100% of cases would be in in the vaccinated.

A "thousand athletes"? Where?

Kids having heart attacks in larger numbers? Where?

No YouTube or Twitter or Reddit posts as sources, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseShopper View Post
lol, seems like more people who are vaccinated and boosted are the ones getting Covid now.

Maybe, just maybe, if Novavax comes out, I'll consider that one. But not the mRNA ones.
Because the population in some countries is highly vaccinated, more cases will be in the vaccinated - because there are more of them. What you have to know is how many vaccinated people are not getting infected. The effect of the vaccine wanes, and it is less effective against the newer variants, though not completely ineffective.

Quote:
Help me understand. You had a sore throat, so why bother testing for COVID, Strep, or see your Doc in the first place? Would you have done all this before COVID
In order to determine the proper treatment. Untreated strep can cause complications.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...valve%20damage.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Hmmm, I guess we're from different planets. I'd never worry about knowing what the cause of my sore throat was, and I know there is pretty much nothing a doc can prescribe for it anyways. Antibiotics are overkill and pain meds, why? Just let it heal naturally.

When you go to a Doc complaining about being sick, they feel pressured into prescribing you something to make you feel happy. Almost always that Rx will prolong your illness rather than shorten it. But I guess you get the psychological satisfaction of "doing something" - placebo.
If you do not care about your heart and kidneys do not get treated for strep. It almost universally can be treated with plain old penicillin in non-allergic folks.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:42 PM

Quote:
If you do not care about your heart and kidneys do not get treated for strep. It almost universally can be treated with plain old penicillin in non-allergic folks.
It's not so simple,

Quote:
Time to relief of symptoms was shorter in the five day group. Adverse events were mainly diarrhoea, nausea, and vulvovaginal disorders; the 10 day group had higher incidence and longer duration of adverse events.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6776830/

This is comparing 5 days of Penicillin vs 10 days as no one would think to do a study with no antibiotics in this day and age (would not be ethical supposedly) but as you can see, the 5 day course was better.

Maybe 0 days would be even better?

I don't know if I ever had strep because I never bothered to get tested for a sore throat and none of my sore throats lasted more than 1 day.

Never needed a doc for a cold/illness, never needed medication.

Old 07-13-2022, 01:54 PM

3,503 posts, read 1,413,203 times
Quote:
Because the population in some countries is highly vaccinated, more cases will be in the vaccinated - because there are more of them. What you have to know is how many vaccinated people are not getting infected. The effect of the vaccine wanes, and it is less effective against the newer variants, though not completely ineffective.
I'm glad you trust the science.

Just so you know, our "expert" Fauci got double boosted and ended up getting Covid. Then he took Paxlovid and got Covid rebound. Wow, so glad to know that our "tools" to fight Covid are working so well!

Old 07-13-2022, 02:01 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,227,909 times
Quote:

I'm from planet Earth, where are you from?

Old 07-13-2022, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I'm from planet Earth, where are you from?
Good question
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies