Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2022, 09:59 PM

45,676 posts, read 24,035,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Jasper View Post
The shortage of workers is mostly due to the willingness of some to live off others. As we expand the welfare state, we import illegal immigrants to fill those jobs vacated by the welfare state. That is the justification for open-borders policy.

As the handouts Trump, Biden, and other politicians were so willing to give dry up, those that are entitled will look to the government to save them. The government will likely do so at the taxpayer's expense. And by the taxpayer, I am talking about the ones that write checks every year to get the IRS off our ass, not the refund crowd.

Rather than providing jobs for illegal immigrants, those unwilling to work should be forced to choose between working and eating. When there are no jobs for illegal immigrants, there will be no illegal immigration.
But I thought the illegal immigrants didn't want to work or won't working?

So now we are saying they are taking the jobs of Americans?

Then why do we have so many jobs still available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2022, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
I wonder how large the % is of deadbeats. Those who purposely failed to pay rent during the moratorium, despite maintaining their incomes.
I bet it is really high.

Anecdotal but along those lines. We were fortunate to have our kids in good schools...mainly upper middle class but some diversity. Talking to teachers about the parents who didn't 'chip in' for class trips, class parties, etc.....they overwhelmingly said it was the wealthier parents that didn't cough up the funds.

Why? Because they knew their kids would not be denied. They knew that the school (PTA had a fund) would pay so all kids could participate .

So no doubt many people abused the rental programs implemented by the this and the last administration.

Old 07-23-2022, 10:06 PM

Quote:
For now, we are better off. But we are rapidly trending in the wrong direction. What do you think will be the long-term impact of inflation across housing, autos, food, fuel, and general expenses combined with higher middle-class unemployment, foreclosures, repossessions, and tightening credit?

Now we are forecasting not dealing with the topic of this thread which is implying somehow that the foreclosure rate right now is at a critical stage -- when it isn't. It isn't nearly as bad as it was in 2019.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:07 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,241,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
But I thought the illegal immigrants didn't want to work or won't working?

So now we are saying they are taking the jobs of Americans?

Then why do we have so many jobs still available?
Why would you think that? A minimum wage job in America is still multiple times that of what Ford is paying Mexican workers to assemble Bronco Sports and Mavericks in Hermosillo before shipping them back over the border to sell to Americans.

While anecdotal, the Mexicans that I have encountered work their asses off. Lazy Americans that make up the dependent class, not so much. I think immigrants, illegal or otherwise, or more comfortable in construction and farming than they are working in the service industry.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Why would you think that? A minimum wage job in America is still multiple times that of what Ford is paying Mexican workers to assemble Bronco Sports and Mavericks in Hermosillo before shipping them back over the border to sell to Americans.

While anecdotal, the Mexicans that I have encountered work their asses off. Lazy Americans that make up the dependent class, not so much. I think immigrants, illegal or otherwise, or more comfortable in construction and farming than they are working in the service industry.
I was playing Devil's Advocate. I really don't think Americans are losing out because of immigrants.

I do believe that many immigrants -- legal and illegal have a strong work ethic. I do not think the immigrants who risk their lives to get into the USA are inclined to think they can milk the system.

My exposure to immigrants who may not have status, they don't want to go on record for handouts -- sometimes not even from charities. They don't want to be on record for fear of being deported.

We saw it at our church -- cash only and they didn't want to register as parishioners because they were afraid it would be given to the government. They didn't say that directly -- but it was understood and well known.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:40 PM

4,960 posts, read 2,241,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I was playing Devil's Advocate. I really don't think Americans are losing out because of immigrants.

I do believe that many immigrants -- legal and illegal have a strong work ethic. I do not think the immigrants who risk their lives to get into the USA are inclined to think they can milk the system.

My exposure to immigrants who may not have status, they don't want to go on record for handouts -- sometimes not even from charities. They don't want to be on record for fear of being deported.

We saw it at our church -- cash only and they didn't want to register as parishioners because they were afraid it would be given to the government. They didn't say that directly -- but it was understood and well known.
Fair enough. Illegal immigrants are not taking American jobs. Lazy Americans are handing them over. Politicians enable them to do so.

H-1B visas, that is government-sponsored job theft. But that is for another thread.

Old 07-23-2022, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Fair enough. Illegal immigrants are not taking American jobs. Lazy Americans are handing them over. Politicians enable them to do so.

H-1B visas, that is government-sponsored job theft. But that is for another thread.
Yeah I don't understand the support of the H-1B visas and yet scream about illegals.

Most people who are here illegally overstay student, work, visas.....

Old 07-24-2022, 08:21 AM

4,563 posts, read 4,106,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haksel257 View Post
Also a factor: mega-corporations buying up large swaths of land in an undisguised attempt to create a nation of renters.

No small factor!
But that’s markets doing what they do. We can’t blame that. It’s only the Democrats fault. Even though they are doing literally nothing for working people and just letting corporate America do what it wants.

Old 07-24-2022, 08:54 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odinloki1 View Post
But that’s markets doing what they do. We can’t blame that. It’s only the Democrats fault. Even though they are doing literally nothing for working people and just letting corporate America do what it wants.
Except the illegals are hired by Republicans who are being depicted as little angels praying on the side rails while the left burns the house down. Keep drinking that delusional cool aide. Now your going to try to tell me the greedy are all on left? Rotfl

Old 07-24-2022, 09:08 AM

29,835 posts, read 24,927,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
Except the illegals are hired by Republicans who are being depicted as little angels praying on the side rails while the left burns the house down. Keep drinking that delusional cool aide. Now your going to try to tell me the greedy are all on left? Rotfl

You think only republicans hire illegals, which shows how poor of a grasp you have on the reality of the situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies