Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2022, 08:38 AM

635 posts, read 1,166,643 times

Advertisements

LOL @ all the morons stating Russia was legally liable and blew it apart to avoid fines. Nord Stream AG is the legal corporate entity that operates the pipeline and that is based in Switzerland and when the insurers backed out months ago they were legally able to declare force majeure nulling liability.

Old 09-29-2022, 08:50 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Perhaps, I doubt that Russia pulled this off. They could have, but to me they would have a long term strategic disadvantage by doing so. The Ukraine does not have the expertise to pull it off. England, UK, Great Britain.........Yes the same of course. As I stated, the US navy was spotted in the area, China Joe made threats against that pipeline. And of all the nations on this planet, there is no doubt the US has the expertise to pull it off, because that is what one would need, the tools and the expertise to do it, and most nations do not possess that kind of skill. The UK certainly does.
Like they don't have the expertise to sink a major Russian warship, shoot down their best fighter aircraft or destroy Russian tanks? Until we learn more about the damage it's too soon to say who it's not. IIRC the pipeline is in ~300 ft of water, would be surprised if Ukraine didn't have some divers capable of going there.

Old 09-29-2022, 09:31 AM

9,895 posts, read 4,656,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Like they don't have the expertise to sink a major Russian warship, shoot down their best fighter aircraft or destroy Russian tanks? Until we learn more about the damage it's too soon to say who it's not. IIRC the pipeline is in ~300 ft of water, would be surprised if Ukraine didn't have some divers capable of going there.
A dive that deep if feasible would require a lot of support ie the boat they used would give it away. Some have a mentioned a submersible robot to do the work. I think hard hat divers could do it but not free divers even with mixed gases.

With Putin's attitude right now I wouldn't be surprised if Russia did it. But now back to why not just turn it off.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:04 AM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Who has the expertise to pull it off? Russia, United States, England, Poland, France, Germany.
Every country that has off-shore oil rigs also has divers and submersibles who'd consider the Baltic a wading pool.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:24 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
Nah. No way. Even if they have the ability, doing so right now is inserting themselves into a war, and that's not anywhere in their charters.

Even during times of peace you'd have to be pretty convincing to make me believe something like that, but now? Nah.
Lets face it, the people in "eco" groups typically aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

Old 09-29-2022, 11:45 AM

8,943 posts, read 11,790,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
xoe's threats were loud and clear. even so, with little to no gas moving thru NS1 and NS2 not even operational, i don't see a great reason to pull such a high-profile stunt...

Pres. Biden: "If Russia invades...then there will be no longer a Nord Stream 2. We will bring an end to it."

Reporter: "But how will you do that, exactly, since...the project is in Germany's control?"

Biden: "I promise you, we will be able to do that."
He meant sanctions. Biden has made it clear that he wants to avoid a direct confrontation with Russia. Attacking their pipelines would be a direct confrontation with them. There is no way the US would attack the pipelines.

Biden haters are so full of hate for the man that they can't think logically. Even their messiah Trump has indirectly stated that the US was not responsible for the sabotage. Or maybe they are Russian and chinaman bots pretending to be Americans on these forums.

I voted for Trump twice, btw. Have to put that out there before some dim-witted Tucker Carlson worshiper accuses me of being a leftist.

Those pipelines were designed for one thing: to send gas to Europe. Since the EU has vowed to wean themselves off Russian oil and gas, those pipelines will be worthless in the future. Those pipelines give Russia and no leverage and no future income. Russia has no need for them.

The Russians blew up those pipelines just one day after the inauguration of a new EU pipeline right above their pipelines. They did it also to send a statement to the EU that they can destroy any pipeline belonging to EU.

Last edited by davidt1; 09-29-2022 at 11:57 AM..

Old 09-29-2022, 12:24 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,765,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I don't think the US benefits per se. This can only drive the price of gas up for everyone. But do I think Joe Biden did it? I think the chances are very high.

Jesus, we are about to get hit with a Cat 4 hurricane (literally in my back yard, btw) and Biden is getting us into a nuclear war.
The US benefits if you believe we want to control NATO and Europe. This way no possible back door deal with Russia for this gas. EU not long for this world.

Old 09-29-2022, 12:29 PM

5,153 posts, read 3,765,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
He meant sanctions. Biden has made it clear that he wants to avoid a direct confrontation with Russia. Attacking their pipelines would be a direct confrontation with them. There is no way the US would attack the pipelines.

Biden haters are so full of hate for the man that they can't think logically. Even their messiah Trump has indirectly stated that the US was not responsible for the sabotage. Or maybe they are Russian and chinaman bots pretending to be Americans on these forums.

I voted for Trump twice, btw. Have to put that out there before some dim-witted Tucker Carlson worshiper accuses me of being a leftist.

Those pipelines were designed for one thing: to send gas to Europe. Since the EU has vowed to wean themselves off Russian oil and gas, those pipelines will be worthless in the future. Those pipelines give Russia and no leverage and no future income. Russia has no need for them.

The Russians blew up those pipelines just one day after the inauguration of a new EU pipeline right above their pipelines. They did it also to send a statement to the EU that they can destroy any pipeline belonging to EU.
What is Europe going to replace all the energy Russia was supplying them with? Now they cut down trees and burn coal. Clean energy brought to you by the morons who will decimate Europe all on their own while the Kremlin just sits by and laughs. Stoopid.

Old 09-29-2022, 01:49 PM

4,175 posts, read 2,574,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
More reasons why Russia sabotaged the pipelines.

Russia is under legal obligations to provide gas to the EU. If the pipelines were destroyed, they can legally get out of the contract they made with their EU customers.

During wartime all bets, and legal obligations are off. All countries that support the enemies of Russia, meaning Ukraine, are enemies also. And that includes the USA, thanks to bidet, and company.

Old 09-29-2022, 02:04 PM

46,968 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lancers View Post
What is Europe going to replace all the energy Russia was supplying them with?
LNG is a commodity. You know what that means, right? Is it going to be a nuisance to rebuild the supply lines? Certainly. Is it going to disable the European economy? Only in the minds of idiots.

This is another field where Russia is going to have to come to terms with the idea that they're just not as important as they think. Too bad. Such potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies