Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2022, 06:42 PM

13,694 posts, read 9,014,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Since when does any implied right to privacy give you the right to end a human life? Unless your argument is that it's okay to kill someone as long as nobody finds out about it, the entire "right to privacy" argument as it relates to abortion is nothing but a smoke screen.

Yet, I bet you are for the death penalty?

The 'human life' argument is difficult. Many religions do not believe that a fetus is 'human' until it is born. Indeed, some Christians argue that a born baby is not human until it is baptized.

Did you know that the Old Testament gave a recipe for aborting? Or that Jewish organizations are suing about how the Dodd decision imposes restrictions upon their rights under Jewish law?

https://www.washingtonpost.com/relig...ewish-lawsuit/

Or is Jewish Law invalid in your view? What religious law should we the people be under?

Remember, members of Congress may hold a Bible in their hand when taking the Oath of Office, but they are not swearing to uphold the Bible, but the Constitution.

I simply do not accept your religious beliefs.

Old 10-17-2022, 06:44 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Every election abortion is an issue. I really don't think people will be voting on the basis of Roe v Wade, when the economy is in the toilet, inflation has affected everyone, the gas prices are costing families basic necessities, crime has skyrocketed, there is no rule of law, criminals are back on the streets within hours thanks to the bail reform, the list goes on. If someone votes on abortion alone, that indicates someone who is either being totally financially supported by their parents or lacks the ability to make an intelligent choice.

Old 10-17-2022, 07:12 PM

29,541 posts, read 19,632,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I am what's the connection between capital punishment of a stone cold murderer or serial killer and a woman terminating a pregnancy with a developing baby that hasn't hurt anyone or committed any crime?

Quote:
The 'human life' argument is difficult. Many religions do not believe that a fetus is 'human' until it is born. Indeed, some Christians argue that a born baby is not human until it is baptized.

Did you know that the Old Testament gave a recipe for aborting? Or that Jewish organizations are suing about how the Dodd decision imposes restrictions upon their rights under Jewish law?

Or is Jewish Law invalid in your view? What religious law should we the people be under?
Well the detection of life starts when a heart begins to beat and dies when a heart stops beating.

Quote:
Remember, members of Congress may hold a Bible in their hand when taking the Oath of Office, but they are not swearing to uphold the Bible, but the Constitution.

Yes uphold the Constitution. Which says nothing about an inalienable right to terminate pregnancies. Laws regarding such procedures were always left to the States prior to Roe V Wade and it's false assertion that the 14th amendment protects such a right.

Old 10-17-2022, 07:52 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,617,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Correct. Which means the Fed govt is forbidden to regulate them in any way. But the States can if they want.

The 10th amendment.

These things have been pointed out to you in this forum a number of times. Apparently enough time has gone by that you feel you can start ignoring them again, and pretend you have a rational argument.
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Women don't want government controlling our bodies. We are going backwards to very dark times. The constitution didn't give women any rights. So leaving decisions for women up to states is just the same.
So, what are you going to do about it? Anything? Or just sit at your keyboard and whine miserably (as you're doing now)?

Old 10-17-2022, 08:08 PM

6,617 posts, read 5,013,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimRom View Post
Despite the loud screeching accompanied by the gnashing of teeth and wringing of hands on the part of the left, abortion doesn't even crack the top three issues which voters say are most important to them. While the Democrats would like for it to be a "wedge" issue, it simply doesn't compare with the economy, crime, and immigration. In fact, by most polls, it's far behind all three.
All the political movement from the right for the last couple of decades has been culture war stuff, now you are saying people care about the economy and crime. OK.

Old 10-17-2022, 09:08 PM

11,142 posts, read 10,714,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

At what point did I mention my religious views? Let me check. Nope, nothing about religion in my posts. Probably because I’m a devout agnostic who borders on atheism. In other words, I have no religion on which my beliefs are based. You seem to be working under the false assumption that religion is the only reason for supporting the Dobbs decision. Sorry to burst your bubble. I believe in simple things, mainly treat other people the way you want to be treated and never break the nonaggression principle. I’m past five decades with no criminal record, little debt, a great family life that most only dream of, and no problems that couldn’t be solved with a minor financial windfall, so my way seems to have worked well for me.

Yes, I support the death penalty, though only in cases where the only other option is life imprisonment because the criminal is deemed ineligible for rehabilitation and unsafe to ever be released. For the same reason I support euthanizing dogs that maul people. If an individual absolutely cannot be trusted around the general public, and will absolutely never be trusted around the general public, there is zero reason other than misguided vengeance to keep them them in prison for several decades. Pull the lever, flip the switch, start the IV, pull the trigger, whatever euphemism you want to use, if they’re guilty of a crime so heinous that they must be separated from the rest of society then I’m all for it. We spend ridiculous amounts of money keeping people who have shown their obvious disdain for humanity alive because it’s supposedly “compassionate.” It isn’t. Serial killers, serial rapists, school shooters, mass shooters, society gains nothing from keeping them around. They broke the nonaggression principle against society, and while I’m not religious I do very much believe in “An eye for an eye.”

The Dobbs decision was constitutional. Roe vs. Wade was bench legislation which created a federal “right” out of smoke and dreams. The 10th Amendment is quite clearly written. The decision on abortion belongs to either the States or the People, whichever you prefer, but it does not belong to the Federal Government. Your assumption that religion is the primary motive for anyone to oppose unrestricted abortion is coloring your judgement.

Old 10-17-2022, 11:26 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
So, what are you going to do about it? Anything? Or just sit at your keyboard and whine miserably (as you're doing now)?
Women are going to vote to keep the far right fringe candidates out of office.

Old 10-18-2022, 12:04 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,444,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The overturn of Roe is a wedge issue BECAUSE IT IS A WEDGE ISSUE. Not because Dems want to make it so. (Republican women get abortions too. Ask Herschel)

Nobody is pretending other issues don't exist. Life is never so simple as to have only one issue at a time to deal with.

Repubs have wanted Roe overturned for 40+ years. Now they got what they wanted. Doesn't mean others who disagree with them are just going to roll over and accept it.

This will be a very interesting election to be sure. Especially at the state level. This year more will be paying attention to state elections than is usual. All because the Supreme Court upset the apple cart.

Not just this year. This will play out for years to come.

The Supreme Court unleashed years of chaos on the nation.

Old 10-18-2022, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Nope. That's made pretty clear by all the fetal homicide laws. Ending a developing baby's life is murder/homicide (depending on the applicable statute).
Only in your imagination.

Old 10-18-2022, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then explain why over 2/3 of the women with unintended pregnancies who can easily afford an abortion choose birth instead of killing their children. The vast majority of women don't have the blood lust of the pro-killing cult.
Clearly women and/or their partners are ambivalent about unintended pregnancies. No rational person could conclude anything else.

This is not surprising as Americans are not proactive or planners about anything.

None of that has anything to do with whether or not abortion should be legal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies