Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2022, 10:05 AM

89,037 posts, read 44,853,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
So you are ok with teenagers being tried as adults and facing a death penalty in states that want that?
Why wouldn't they choose to have the baby? They can give it up for adoption and that has been going on for centuries. I have several friends who are adoptees. Should they never have been born? HELL, NO.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:06 AM

13,388 posts, read 6,444,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Dems who want no restrictions are saying... leave it to the doctor and patient to decide. Not politicians who don't even understand pregnancy and what can go wrong. They are saying abortion should not be decided by the legislature. The logic is not so simple.
Yes, because otherwise we get crackpot R legislators who think ectopic pregnancies should be relocated to a woman's uterus or that women have hormones that shut down pregnancy during a rape

Where do these people come from?

Old 10-18-2022, 10:08 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,960,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Graham wanted to pass a federal 15 week elective abortion ban. That seems perfectly logical to me. Gives a woman more than a trimester to decide, before the fetus has developed further, and keeps abortions due to medical issues legal. Though I don't know that the Federal government can actually impose this over the states or not. That may or may not be Constitutional.
Why wouldn't a federal law be legal? We have plenty of federal laws regarding issues that are not mentioned in the Constitution.

This whole argument that if something is not mentioned in the Constitution means it is a state's issue is bogus.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Why wouldn't they choose to have the baby? They can give it up for adoption and that has been going on for centuries. I have several friends who are adoptees. Should they never have been born? HELL, NO.
Yes for centuries teenagers were forced to give birth and place children up for adoption.

Is that what you are advocating now?

Next up folks.........forced birth AND forced adoption.

Lol. Keep going IC.

Notice you avoided the question about teens facing the death penalty. Don't want to own that do you?

Old 10-18-2022, 10:12 AM

29,538 posts, read 19,632,331 times
Quote:
You clearly did not read his bill.

It did not allow for abortions for fetal anomalies.

It also allowed states with shorter timeframes like 6 weeks to keep those timeframes.

Alito and Kavanaugh said in Dobbs that the feds could legislate on abortion.

Remains to be seen what they would do with any given piece of legislation. I fully expect they would apply their personal viewpoints on abortion rather than law, but who knows.
No I didn't read it in any detail but the 15 week ban which was mentioned in the news seemed logical to me. I don't agree with a 6 week timeframe. If the Dobbs decision does indeed allow for the feds to legislate on abortion then fine. If the Democrats at any point have a fillerbuster proof majority then can enshrine Roe V Wade into Federal law.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:16 AM

29,538 posts, read 19,632,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Why wouldn't a federal law be legal? We have plenty of federal laws regarding issues that are not mentioned in the Constitution.

This whole argument that if something is not mentioned in the Constitution means it is a state's issue is bogus.

Depends how the Dobbs opinion was written. I have not read the case in any detail. If the federal gov. can legislate on abortion then so be it. There are also plenty of examples of laws that Congress cannot pass and are only reserved for the States such as laws that deal with education. That is up to the States to decide.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
No I didn't read it in any detail but the 15 week ban which was mentioned in the news seemed logical to me. I don't agree with a 6 week timeframe. If the Dobbs decision does indeed allow for the feds to legislate on abortion then fine. If the Democrats at any point have a fillerbuster proof majority then can enshrine Roe V Wade into Federal law.
No worries.

It was R trickery designed to give them cover from their extremist positions by making them appear to be logical and reasonable.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Yes for centuries teenagers were forced to give birth and place children up for adoption.

Is that what you are advocating now?
No one is "forced." See my statement on that, below.

Quote:
Next up folks.........forced birth AND forced adoption.
Again, there is NO such thing as "forced birth." Only 0.3% of abortions are due to rape. 95% of unintended pregnancies are due to women VOLUNTARILY participating in unprotected sex, by their own admission (Guttmacher). THAT'S when they decide to accept birth as a consequence of their own voluntary actions, when they themselves CHOOSE to have unprotected sex.

And, again, I will submit the fact that the LEAST likely group to be able to afford a child has only a 8.6% abortion rate when faced with an unintended pregnancy while the the highest income group's abortion rate is 31.9%.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No one is "forced." See my statement on that, below.

Again, there is NO such thing as "forced birth." Only 0.3% of abortions are due to rape. 95% of unintended pregnancies are due to women VOLUNTARILY participating in unprotected sex, by their own admission (Guttmacher). THAT'S when they decide to accept birth as a consequence of their own voluntary actions, when they themselves CHOOSE to have unprotected sex.

And, again, I will submit the fact that the LEAST likely group to be able to afford a child has only a 8.6% abortion rate when faced with an unintended pregnancy while the the highest income group's abortion rate is 31.9%.
One thing I am 100% certain of is that you do not know what any given woman is thinking or accepting at any given point in time.

Frankly, the idea that you do is insane.

Who gives a rip how much money anyone is making or not making.

And, yet again you refuse to answer whether or not pregnant teenagers who have an illegal abortion should be put to death in death penalty states.

Old 10-18-2022, 10:45 AM

Quote:
One thing I am 100% certain of is that you do not know what any given woman is thinking or accepting at any given point in time.
Of course I do. The woman is thinking... I don't want a baby: should I kill this child or not.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies