Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2022, 04:26 PM

29,590 posts, read 19,736,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
What did overturning Roe accomplish other than create chaos, why was this so important.

Simply reverting back to the States where it has always been before Roe.

Quote:
Evidently multiple courts over 50 years ruled on Roe but I guess activists just need to lay in wait until you have the right players and strike.
Plessy V. Ferguson was overturned 50 years later by Brown V. Board of Ed Topeka Kansas

You want to cite the Court that ruled o Roe? Planned Parenthood v. Casey in 1992? Liberal leaning court that said the following

Quote:
Primary Holding
A person retains the right to have an abortion, established by Roe v. Wade, but the state’s compelling interest in protecting the life of an unborn child means that it can ban an abortion of a viable fetus under any circumstances except when the health of the mother is at risk. Also, laws restricting abortion should be evaluated under an undue burden standard rather than a strict scrutiny
Now point to me where in the Constitution it states anything about the right to terminate a pregancy. Better yet explain to me how the 14th amendment protects this supposed Constitutional right

Quote:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside. No state shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any state deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

You want abortion to be a Constitutional right then amend the Constitution. Until then it will likely remain a States right.

Old 10-17-2022, 04:27 PM

4,552 posts, read 4,085,646 times
It was probably a 'deal' considering they are willing to kill supreme justices and have already threatened many times.

Old 10-17-2022, 04:28 PM

16,199 posts, read 10,879,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post

The thought at Justice Thomas et al conspired with Democrats to give Democrats a campaign issue is highly unlikely.
"...highly unlikely" -- You are being too kind. The entire idea is nuts.

Old 10-17-2022, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
The original Constitution doesn't mention women, for any reason or issue. Does that mean women's rights have no constitutional basis either? Oh great, original constitution doesn't mention women, therefore women should be able to do whatever they dam please with their bodies or pregnancies. Constitution doesn't say they can or cannot. Constitution does not say legislators can pass laws about women.

So you just want to make believe that the Constitution says something it doesn't? No that's not how it works. Anything not specifically mentioned in the constitution or granted a power to the federal government automatically belongs a power of the State per 10th amendment.

The 19th Amendment was added why? Because nothing was spelled out about women having the right to vote. They couldn't even use the 15th amendment to include women. So yup you need a Constitutional amendment to enshrine abortion rights.

Old 10-17-2022, 04:37 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,003,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
Simply reverting back to the States where it has always been before Roe.

Plessy V. Ferguson was overturned 50 years later by Brown V. Board of Ed Topeka Kansas

You want to cite the Court that ruled o Roe? Planned Parenthood v. Casey in 1992? Liberal leaning court that said the following

Now point to me where in the Constitution it states anything about the right to terminate a pregancy. Better yet explain to me how the 14th amendment protects this supposed Constitutional right

You want abortion to be a Constitutional right then amend the Constitution. Until then it will likely remain a States right.
Addressing the bolded above: where in the Constitution does it say one can or cannot abort a pregnancy? It does not mention it either way.

The constitution doesn't address any other medical procedures either. Why do people want to makes laws about only one specific medical procedure?

Old 10-17-2022, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Addressing the bolded above: where in the Constitution does it say one can or cannot abort a pregnancy? It does not mention it either way.

The constitution doesn't address any other medical procedures either. Why do people want to makes laws about only one specific medical procedure?
It doesn't so that makes the Constitution neutral on the issue and like I said multiple times per 10th amendment the matter then becomes a States right. Btw it's not just a medical procedure. It's a procdure that ends a life. Not like me going to get a my varicose veins removed...

Old 10-17-2022, 04:51 PM

14,267 posts, read 7,003,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagogeorge View Post
It doesn't so that makes the Constitution neutral on the issue and like I said multiple times per 10th amendment the matter then becomes a States right. Btw it's not just a medical procedure. It's a procdure that ends a life. Not like me going to get a my varicose veins removed...
There is no consensus in this country that a fetus pre-viability outside the womb is a "life." Sorry if that upsets you, but there is massive disagreement on that issue.

Old 10-17-2022, 04:53 PM

7,419 posts, read 2,724,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post

Been watching all these political commercials and it seems the democrats are using the over turn to attack the republicans. Christ, Demmings and Frankel are all using this as a crutch to try and entice women to not vote for DeSantis or Rubio. So I am wondering if this was an inside job between SCOTUS and the democrats? Who was the main judge who started the ball rolling?
You can't be serious? Inside job? DNC chess move? I don't know whether to laugh or cry for you.

Republicans have no one to blame but their own party, warhorse. After spending decades attacking Roe, campaigning on their anti-reproductive rights stance, and appointing religious zealots to the Supreme Court, they now want to stop talking about their crowning achievement of 40+ years effort? They want to hide from it? Run away from it? Tough too bad, I say, because they are the very culprits who have caused women's rights to be on the ballot, here in 2022.

Women and the men who care about women know it is the Republican Party that has been at the forefront of a very vocal and well documented effort to deny women access to medical care and intrude on a woman's most intimate health-care decisions. A movement that is disturbingly indifferent to women. It is one which aspires to control their reproductive healthcare and personal medical decisions, and to cruelly force them to give birth. Given the opportunity (controlling the House, Senate and WH) the GOP will not hesitate to pass a federal ban on abortions, as that is indeed their endgame.

The Republicans own Dobbs... they can't have their cake and eat it too

Old 10-17-2022, 04:58 PM

89,477 posts, read 45,163,245 times
Quote:
There is no consensus in this country that a fetus pre-viability outside the womb is a "life." Sorry if that upsets you, but there is massive disagreement on that issue.
Actually, there is: fetal homicide laws.

Old 10-17-2022, 05:08 PM

11,180 posts, read 10,761,311 times
Quote:
It has been a wedge issue for decades. That is how long the right has been working to overturn Roe. They finally got their way with McConnel's maneuverings to get his federalist picks on the Supreme Court. The DNC did not do that. The Right did that. Own it.
I'm not owning anything, as I'm neither a Republican nor part of the "Right," although I agree that the Dobbs decision was the only correct constitutional one.

I fully understand why Democrats are trying to make abortion a wedge issue this year, as there is nothing on the economy, immigration, or crime fronts that they can point to and proudly proclaim "We did this" with a straight face. Judging from the polls, however, it isn't working. People are worried about inflation, immigration, and crime. That's what all of the polling is showing at this point, and that's what is probably going to get the Democrats kicked out of the majority in the midterms. Hopefully, the trouncing is so bad that it makes the DNC rethink some positions, although at this point the inmates are running the asylum in the Democratic Party and it's doubtful that any logical reasoning is going to survive the screeching from the lunatics who have taken over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies