Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-07-2022, 07:59 AM

62,968 posts, read 29,152,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AfricanSunset View Post
The only thing I can think of is he goes to work and turns his AC off during that period (or lowers it). Otherwise it doesn't make sense, except maybe psychologically.
What part of I'm retired didn't you get? It isn't psychological to not want permanent DST and I already explained why in several posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2022, 08:01 AM

3,113 posts, read 939,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What part of I'm retired didn't you get? It isn't psychological to not want permanent DST and I already explained why in several posts.
Then what you said doesn’t make sense since your AC will run the same duration at the same intensity. It will just start 1 hour earlier.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
you are not getting it

whether the sun goes down at 7pm or at 8pm, doesn't change what the high for the day was at 1430 (hottest point of the day)....

most people want the extra hour in the evening so they can get yardwork done
No, you're the one not getting it! It's not about what the high temperature of the day is it's about not having it last as long with the sun going down earlier in the summer on Standard time. Geesh!

Old 11-07-2022, 08:08 AM

1,839 posts, read 677,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I personally like keeping DST all year round but I think an even better idea would be to split the difference and do a one time 30 minute adjustment.
India remains :30 plus or minus from practically every country. It keeps a different time zone from its nemesis Pakistan, maybe coincidentally if not intentional.

With the exception of India, we'd be more off from the rest of the world, with an additional hassle of adding 30 minutes to the hour, in adjusting to figure out the time in the other country. It'd be less clean when coordinating schedules.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:12 AM

7,928 posts, read 3,473,493 times
Quote:
It would be too messy with the rest of the world.

I think if we fix the time (don’t go back or forward) states can choose an appropriate timezone to slide into. For some DST will make sense for others Standard Time.
I don't see what would be so messy about it. I was on a conference call with someone from India last week and his time zone was +X.5 hours off from my own. Doesn't seem to cause any problems. I don't care enough to argue over it though.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:15 AM

10,483 posts, read 7,005,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Agreed. I don't like it dark in the morning nor do we need it to be light out till 9 or 10 in the summer especially here in the southwest with our long hot summers.
On the contrary though (at least here in the NJ/Northeast) do you really want the summer sun to come out at 4:25am versus enjoying the evening sun?

Old 11-07-2022, 08:17 AM

30,373 posts, read 19,170,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
The most stupid, inane and useless legislation award goes to the SENATE for passing a bill to make "daylight savings" permanent - as in setting clocks AHEAD one hour - and leaving them one hour off sun time (standard time).
Imagine the benefits of "high noon" at 1 pm . . . (yeah, right) [/sarcasm]
THIS IS ON THE HEADS OF THE REPUBLICANS (small majority that they be)

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/slee...slation-change
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-...23-2022-03-15/

How do YOU spell Republicans?
S T U P I D
(Not to leave out the Democrats - they spell it Stoofid)
I think stupid is claiming that Republicans have a majority and can get a bill passed when Dumbocrats control the House, Senate, and Presidency.

By the way, "Daylight Savings Time" is idiotic and should be done away with. After moving to Arizona from a state that observed Daylight Savings Time, it became even more apparent to me that it's stupid.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Then what you said doesn’t make sense since your AC will run the same duration at the same intensity. It will just start 1 hour earlier.
No, it won't! There would be no need to run my air conditioner early in the morning as it isn't hot in the morning. It starts getting hot in the early afternoon. Geez, I feel like I am talking to some brick walls in here.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:23 AM

3,113 posts, read 939,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Waltz View Post
I don't see what would be so messy about it. I was on a conference call with someone from India last week and his time zone was +X.5 hours off from my own. Doesn't seem to cause any problems. I don't care enough to argue over it though.
Maybe just for me then. IST has always messed me up. Especially when I’m there and need to be on top of various meetings in Europe and the States, I need to constantly check my calendar.

Old 11-07-2022, 08:24 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,557,704 times
Quote:
It would be too messy with the rest of the world.
Mumbai is one that comes to mind that has a time zone which is UTC+05:30. It can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies