Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why did the republicans red wave fail?
Trump republicans and their radical views 44 15.44%
Jan 6 failed coup attempt 2 0.70%
Election lies 24 8.42%
abortion rights 49 17.19%
all of the above 166 58.25%
Voters: 285. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2022, 05:49 AM

9,456 posts, read 5,216,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Yeah…exactly. Nobody “passed” Roe v Wade. It was a Supreme Court decision.

Boy, civics classes need to make a comeback.
I'll say!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2022, 05:49 AM

494 posts, read 285,966 times
Most Republicans believe in right-to-life, and working for a living.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:03 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Here’s what the DEMS needs to do, and fast:
Interesting list. The thing is the Dems did way better than expected in the midterms. So why do the dems need to do what you say fast? They might actually keep both the house and senate. This in a year of record inflation, out of control border and other things. No way should the election have turned out this way, but it did. I peruse both left and right talk shows and news channels. I am a libertarian and don't like either party.

The one theme I here over and over by the left, both leading up to the election is calling MAGA election deniers. I think that was very effective in getting dems out to vote. Look at AZ, PA even GA. The hardcore election deniers under performed. You look at all the hand picked MAGA candidates the Dems hand picked to run against by donating to their campaigns. They all lost. Kari Lake was on stage with another candidate just before the election who wanted to build gallows for her political opposition. They went too far with the rhetoric. That is probably why they got so many votes dropped off the last day. All this crazy talk backfired.

The voter fraud stuff worked for a while for MAGA. It got them to not focus on losing in 2020 but believing they really won. But now its dragging them down. I believe most people want us to go back to the days of if its a close race, recount if you really believe something was done incorrectly, file in court. If all that fails, move on and shut up.

You brought up hanging chads. It went to the SCOTUS and Gore lost. He moved on, he did not run around the country claiming all the stuff Trump had for years later. He had to certify the electoral college vote himself. He did not try to pull what Trump wanted Pence to do and not certify.

All we need to know today is the voter fraud chatter has run its course. Time for the GOP to have a real platform.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 11-12-2022 at 06:12 AM..

Old 11-12-2022, 06:08 AM

37,170 posts, read 19,194,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatBoiLavoi View Post
Personally I'm not sure why people care so much about abortion. If Democrats actually cared about this issue, they could have made it law decades ago but they chose to play games even though the courts indicated for decades that Roe vsWade was unconstitutional. Abortion has been on a stead decline since the 1980s so this topic may not even matter in a few decades if the trend continues. We should have put this issue on hold while we tackle core issues like inflation, soaring crime, immigration, and the national debt. Now we as a country are in a really bad spot with stagflation and very high debt to GDP level. This time we cannot simply have the Federal Reserve set rates to 0% and paper over the issues. They must be addressed and tough decisions will need to be made. Federal interest payments could soon exceed military spending.

Donald Trump currently is no where near as bad as Biden is in terms of health but he will get there soon in a few years. I wish Biden good health but I think he should resign soon and let Kamala take over. On the Republican front I wish we had a younger version of Trump. Ron Desantis is what many conservatives seem to be latching onto as they seem to want to win just for the sake of winning. Desantis unfortunately is a step backward (back to the Bush era) and I believe Trump (even given his age) would be better in terms of foreign policy and breaking up big tech / media. I also do NOT like the fact that Desantis is a career politician. We need more grass root candidates in both parties that are outside of politics.

There are a lot of Trump's policies that I do like and I just don't see other candidates bringing these to the table. Things like ending wars, withdrawing from NATO, border wall construction, decreasing illegal immigration, realist foreign policy are all very good in my opinion. Obviously less regulation and low taxes are good but I would take it a step further than Trump and just go with a flat tax. Trump really stood out to me illegal immigration and that is probably due to him not being neo liberal unlike the other presidents of the last 30 years. As a software engineer, I can see many jobs going away in the coming decades and there will be less of a need for unskilled labor and basic manufacturing (hint its going to be automated). In the US if you bring up illegal's immigration, people automatically assume you are a xenophobic racist but that is not the case with me. My family immigrated legally decades ago and others should also follow the law.

We massively downgraded with Biden and his idealist foreign policy. I'm not even sure Biden has an plan on foreign policy front. In just two years he stumbled out of the Afghanistan conflict (I'm glad the war ended) and is now fighting a Proxy War that Victoria Nuland set into motion in 2014, and could possibly be fight a war on two fronts with regards to China and Taiwan. It is strange that Biden does not push for diplomacy and instead ships weapons and money to keep the fighting going. Further more he is losing support with Saudi Arabia over idiotic comments he made regarding MBS. If the US loses the petrol dollar and oil gets priced in another currency or even if it becomes a regional currency exchange, then expect another significant leg down for American's standard of living.
Neither side wanted to settle it. A divisive disagreement is good for campaign contributions.

Now that we have seen which way the hurricane is blowing on the issue, you can look for the Dems to remedy their past oversights as soon as they take the Senate.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:19 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
It seems Pennsylvanians were not alone in their rejection of MAGA crazy. Americans from coast to coast are tired of crazy and enough of us have decided we actually want a constitutional republic where we argue about differences peaceably, we respect election results, we don't encourage political violence, and want to preserve a system that has delivered more good than ill in our 246 year history.
Peaceably? Respect? Without violence? What a crock. Where was Fetterman and others calling out against CHOP, Seattle "autonomous" zone, mass riots, burning thousands of businesses including police stations, etc.? Dems have openly called for physical protest and civil disobedience. Violence and disorder is perfectly acceptable so long as it is in support for their agenda.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:27 AM

10,452 posts, read 4,038,191 times
You forgot an option. It failed because of cheating on the democrat's part.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:31 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,899,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
You forgot an option. It failed because of cheating on the democrat's part.
My impression is that very few of the candidates who lost are going full Trump and blaming their losses on a stolen election. At a minimum, bogus claims about a stolen election aren’t near the center of politics the way they were in 2020. That’s very good news. I hope that fever dies down.

Of course, there are always a few. We have lunatic Doug Mastriano refusing to concede after losing by more than 750,000 votes. Lee Zeldin, who lost by nine percent, is another. If Kari Lake loses to Hobbs that will probably be a third. But I am not hearing it from Masters and Oz and Dixon and Laxalt. Or even, so far, from Trump.

Am I missing it? Is that the discourse but I just haven’t seen it?

Old 11-12-2022, 06:46 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
We here in Pennsylvania are very pleased that we elected John Fetterman to represent us in the Senate as opposed to a Trump wannabe Republican who claims all abortion is murder and who refused to condemn the crazy anti-democracy narrative of the MAGA GOP.

We Pennsylvanians won, Americans won, and democracy won due to the victory of Senator-elect Fetterman who ran on ideas, solutions and policies that resonated with us. We Pennsylvanians recognized the stakes of this election and knew who would defend democracy, women's rights and the promise of opportunity for all. That was John Fetterman.

It seems Pennsylvanians were not alone in their rejection of MAGA crazy. Americans from coast to coast are tired of crazy and enough of us have decided we actually want a constitutional republic where we argue about differences peaceably, we respect election results, we don't encourage political violence, and want to preserve a system that has delivered more good than ill in our 246 year history.

Hey, minnomaboidenapolis, here is a short video that might explain the quality and authenticity of John Fetterman and why he was the superbly qualified choice for us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2mr7n2-jiQ
Thank you, Pennsylvania, much appreciated.

Old 11-12-2022, 06:51 AM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Peaceably? Respect? Without violence? What a crock. Where was Fetterman and others calling out against CHOP, Seattle "autonomous" zone, mass riots, burning thousands of businesses including police stations, etc.?
Where was Fetterman? Working at his job as Lt. Governor in Pennsylvania I suppose. What was Dr. Oz doing with all that going on? I googled news reports from 2020. Dr. Oz did nothing, said nothing. And at that time he was a much higher profile public figure. Who knew who Fetterman was back in 2020.

Old 11-12-2022, 07:07 AM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Where was Fetterman? Working at his job as Lt. Governor in Pennsylvania I suppose. What was Dr. Oz doing with all that going on? I googled news reports from 2020. Dr. Oz did nothing, said nothing. And at that time he was a much higher profile public figure. Who knew who Fetterman was back in 2020.
I know, right? And all those talking points was not on the ballot in these elections, they were replaced by more recent issues, like abortion rights, and the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies