Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2023, 09:32 AM

25,115 posts, read 16,276,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
See how "brave" he is when the business are donors to his political campaigns ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
1) "dark money" means you dont know who gave it, & that was DeSantis's biggest source of funding

2) Governors from other states were another huge source of funds

3) Top 1%'ers gave the rest, & in nearly all of their companies, illegals couldn't get hired (hedge funds, & aerospace for instance)

So, DeSantis's donors won't be touched by his e-verify efforts, just like Obama's donors were not impacted by Obamacare...they all get special waivers....remember? Or, do you need a link to see who they all were?
imagine your primary comeback being "I don't care about enforcing the law. I'm waiting for his political donors to swat him down."

Wouldn't it be more American to point out the donors who apparently don't want the laws of the United States followed? To thank a top government official for enforcing laws that are on the books?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2023, 09:34 AM

63,152 posts, read 29,323,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
You must have different info from what's available online, including at the FL Dept of Law Enforcement

https://www.fdle.state.fl.us/EVERIFY

so yes, I suppose it doesn't require the additional step of e-Verify. But it does say they must provide I-9's, which an illegal hired under the table wouldn't fill out.

This is why they (ICE) did raids - everybody knows you've got 200 employees, but by e-Verify and I-9's combined you only show 100. Or, somebody in the government actually takes the time to cross-check them against the SS# system and sees they are fake numbers, numbers of deceased people, numbers of an 85 tr old retiree half the country away ...

I believe this article, from an anti-illegal immigration site, provides some good context and info, even if it's from before the bill became law

https://www.fairus.org/legislation/s...erely-weakened
FAIR is not an anti-immigrant site. They are anti-illegal immigration while calling for legal immigration being restricted to the numbers that we actually need for skilled jobs.

Old 01-17-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I would completely agree. If migrants know there will be no job opportunities for them, they won't risk their lives to get here.

Let's see how this works.
Good walls should be a part of the solution as not all illegals are coming here for work. Certainly criminals and terrorists aren't looking for work. Better to deter is as many as we can at the border with good physical barriers than allow them to get into our country in the first place! Birthright citizenship for their kids and benefits are also an incentive for them to come here.

Old 01-17-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
He also wants to jail those who transport, live with or harbor and rent to etc. I think the man’s gone plumb nuts, or is grandstanding for attention. Does he really don’t know what would happen to Fl if all illegals were gone as in a rapture?
I’m not pro illegal, but they are here, and Florida’s economy runs off them. Even my sis, a long time republican, said that he needs to rethink his stance. I really wish the man get off the Fed side of the fence and stay in his lane and deal with Florida’s other issues. His got much bigger fish to fry.
It's already against the law on the federal level to aid and abet illegal aliens so what's your point? Florida nor any other state should stay afloat by breaking the law and they have no right to circumvent federal law. Either we have immigration laws or we don't! Illegal immigration to the border states is the biggest fish to fry right now. It's costing them billions above and beyond any so-called benefits of illegal immigration. They only benefit those who hire them while the rest of us get the shaft!

Old 01-17-2023, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
FAIR is not an anti-immigrant site. They are anti-illegal immigration while calling for legal immigration being restricted to the numbers that we actually need for skilled jobs.
it's a good thing these were the exact words I used then.

Quote:
anti-illegal immigration site
Now, those offending companies, who we don't even know if they have illegals, they've just failed to file a required report:

I've already told you Prestige cruises was Norwegian Cruise Line (rec'd 2 of 8 letters), and Upperline Health was a foot doctor outfit with numerous locations.

MDL Property Maintenance is a ... landscaping company with 195 employees (they even got $1.1MM PPP, so $5K/employee)

The Red Cross - probably doesn't have illegals, but they haven't filed their report.

Intelycare - a Massachusetts based company that also operates in FL "using tech to schedule nurses" - probably just hasn't filed, they got letters to MA and FL addresses

Scribe America - Lauderdale-based, they have medical transcription services available in 49 states it appears. I'm relatively confident they don't have illegals, but haven't filed the required report.

Old 01-17-2023, 10:53 AM

5,593 posts, read 2,329,704 times
Quote:
Um, that's what he is doing according to the link provided by the OP under this thread.
That is incorrect. ALL Florida businesses are NOT required to use E-Verify. Only Florida businesses doing business with government entities in the state are required to use E-Verify. Companies doing business with government entities that have fewer than 10 employees are exempt and all agricultureal companies doing business with government entities are also exempt.

There is NO state law in Florida for E-Verify for businesses that don't work directly with government entities,regardless of the number of employees. This is 95% of Florida businesses that aren't required to use E-Verify in Florida. That law from 2019 was only for businesses doing business with government entities. Most businesses don't have to use E-Verify in Florida. Google for the statute to see for yourself. It's very clear

Old 01-17-2023, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
That is incorrect. ALL Florida businesses are NOT required to use E-Verify. Only Florida businesses doing business with government entities in the state are required to use E-Verify. Companies doing business with government entities that have fewer than 10 employees are exempt and all agricultureal companies doing business with government entities are also exempt.

There is NO state law in Florida for E-Verify for businesses that don't work directly with government entities,regardless of the number of employees. This is 95% of Florida businesses that aren't required to use E-Verify in Florida. That law from 2019 was only for businesses doing business with government entities. Most businesses don't have to use E-Verify in Florida. Google for the statute to see for yourself. It's very clear
I am aware of that and that's what I stated already. Reading comprehension? I'm talking about the new law that De Santis wants to implement that would have a much broader reach.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:07 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,300,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
imagine your primary comeback being "I don't care about enforcing the law. I'm waiting for his political donors to swat him down."

Wouldn't it be more American to point out the donors who apparently don't want the laws of the United States followed? To thank a top government official for enforcing laws that are on the books?
Bingo…they’re going to criticize DeSantis no matter what he says or does. He’s there new because Trump.

Old 01-17-2023, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post

they have to use e-Verify (which has issues - see below)

OR

they can file reports based off I-9's.

Here's what an illegal-friendly organization says:

"E-Verify remains vulnerable to identity fraud and employer misuse, offers no ability to detect off-the-books employment, and is costly."

https://www.migrationpolicy.org/rese...oposals-reform

Old 01-17-2023, 02:42 PM

5,593 posts, read 2,329,704 times
Quote:
.... I'm talking about the new law that De Santis wants to implement that would have a much broader reach.
I support that proposedd new law...to mandate E-Verify in Florida for more than just government and government contractors. Wonder if Florida will pass an E-Verify law this year. The Florida legislative session for 2023 is April 10 - June 8, so we'll find out soon.

Past FL Governor Rick Scott (R) campaigned on mandating E-Verify and then backed down after being elected, saying it was unfair to Florida businesses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies