Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 10:14 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post

The issue is that people can’t always comply. This is the particularly the case if a person has a disability or a mental illness, but can happen in other situations. We had one in my prior county, which at the time was a combination of beach towns and fairly rural areas. A rural white woman was awakened from a deep sleep by the loud police banging for a mistaken call about a domestic disturbance. She had no idea what was going on, came to answer the door with a firearm because she was terrified of a home invasion, and ended up getting killed. I think her husband was an EMT and heard the whole thing and had tried to call her to warn her, but she was in a deep sleep. Imagine if you lived out in the middle of nowhere and were awakened by loud banging at 2am? Most people are not going to calmly open the door and warmly greet the person. I think this is less likely to happen now as video doorbells have become more ubiquitous, but not everyone has them.

In another incident, a disabled client of my prior employer was apparently sitting on the side of the road playing with his toy while his provider supervised. Someone thought the toy was a gun, called the police, who yelled at him from across the street to put the “gun” down. The provider tried to tell the police that the man was autistic and could not understand them while at the same time trying to get onto his back as directed by the police. The police aimed at the autistic man and ended up shooting the provider, who was at that point on his back with his hands in the air. The head of my office, which was in an entirely different part of the state, got calls from a few police departments to help them conduct training to avoid such incidents in the future. It sort of made police departments realize that the training was lacking in a lot of ways.

After that, I think the free weekly paper put out a statement telling people precisely what to do during a traffic stop. It acted like law enforcement was a startled animal that could attack at any time. It was not a flattering picture at all.
Just keep in mind that it must be wonderful to go thru life knowing all the facts, all the time, especially when you can see what the future holds.

Alas, so many people on this planet can't do that and have to make decisions the best they can.

Further, keep in mind that crooks will use whatever they can to avoid caught and often that means doing things, acting as such, that they are not the crook but just someone innocent. Do things like to get away or to get close enough to attack. The catch is, of course, if you are the person they want to attack, how do you know if they are innocent or the opposer?

Think about it, for a moment. You are out there in the parking lot of the grocery store and an unknown person (homeless, beggar, hooker, well dressed man in a 3 piece suit, take your choice) is approaching you, ignoring your hails to stay away. How do you know, how do you decide, who is a threat and who is not?

Now, let's complicate that to the cops' level in that you have to go through that several times a week, if not a day.

Am I saying "Shoot them all down and let God sort them out"? No but I am saying to put yourself in their shoes, stay there for a very long while, and then try to see the world from the same eyes you had before.

Finally, a number of years ago, there was this case: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Ame_Deal (I believe I have the correct case) Before they were charged, there was a televised news interview with one of them, before her gig was up, talking about how the deceased had been the sweetest child and her death was such a tragedy. This is the kind of people one deals with, the best actors, the best con men. I use this reference because it is not an illustration of fiction but actual reality, what that kind of world is like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 10:37 AM

3,098 posts, read 3,784,341 times
It is telling that no law enforcement supporters want to address the question I have asked 5 times on this thread. The reason is clear : the answer is there are few if any good cops

I will post the question again

Almost every time a police officer has been convicted in criminal court of murdering or assaulting an innocent civilian this is NEVER the result of good cops holding bad cops accountable.

The cops stand around watching instead of restraining the bad LEO, they don’t inform IA or the PD leadership, they lie on police reports that are contradicted by video evidence. ****Are these the actions of good cops?***

These convictions come about from private citizen or bodycam videos going viral and citizen outrage not “good cops.”

Old 03-17-2023, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
It is telling that no law enforcement supporters want to address the question I have asked 5 times on this thread. The reason is clear : the answer is there are few if any good cops

I will post the question again

Almost every time a police officer has been convicted in criminal court of murdering or assaulting an innocent civilian this is NEVER the result of good cops holding bad cops accountable.

The cops stand around watching instead of restraining the bad LEO, they don’t inform IA or the PD leadership, they lie on police reports that are contradicted by video evidence. ****Are these the actions of good cops?***

These convictions come about from private citizen or bodycam videos going viral and citizen outrage not “good cops.”
Well, in answer to your question, I have fired or dismissed a number of cops, at least 2, one for lack of command presence, one for improper police conduct. Nothing like reaching court cases.....but nothing like the lying being declared here, either.

Old 03-17-2023, 11:41 AM

9,447 posts, read 5,212,640 times
I didn't know a cop could get fired for 'lack of command presence.' Where was this?

Old 03-17-2023, 11:58 AM

15,424 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Well, in answer to your question, I have fired or dismissed a number of cops, at least 2, one for lack of command presence, one for improper police conduct. Nothing like reaching court cases.....but nothing like the lying being declared here, either.
You had the advantage of working in the military, which is less patient with idiots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I didn't know a cop could get fired for 'lack of command presence.' Where was this?
Military police

Old 03-17-2023, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
You didn’t answer my question which is below between the star and asterisks
On YouTube there are literally hundreds of videos of cops using excessive force while other cops stand by and do not intervene.
The other cops stand around watching instead of restraining the bad LEO, they don’t inform IA or the PD leadership, they then lie on police reports about the incident that are contradicted by video evidence. ****”Are these the actions of good cops?”***

Old 03-17-2023, 02:11 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Two officers in the town of Hermann Mo. (2100 pop.) tried to take a man into custody a couple days ago for failure to appeal. He shot both of them killing one. The police who arrested him the next day showed a lot of restraint by not shooting him. Bad cops are rare and most of them are only considered bad because they do make up reasons to write traffic tickets. 99% of the time, cops are fair. For most people, don't break the law and you will be fine. Most of these high profile cases are just caused by "the victim" mentality. Like Ferguson, where Brown went after the cop's gun. He was a thug. Chauvin did not deserve to die, but he was a career criminal, a five time loser. There are exceptions like the Breonna Taylor case, that cop was an idiot. Hopefully, he will go to jail for a long time. Most cops are NOT oppressive. And I say that even though I have dealt with a couple who were complete jerks.
The press plays up the one or two out of 30,000,000 encounters with the police that went badly. Even when the police were doing everything perfectly, the press still runs those false "hands up don't shoot" stories.

Best thing any of us can do is file a complaint when an officer is being a jerk to us.

Old 03-17-2023, 02:14 PM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
On YouTube there are literally hundreds of videos of cops using excessive force while other cops stand by and do not intervene.
The other cops stand around watching instead of restraining the bad LEO, they don’t inform IA or the PD leadership, they then lie on police reports about the incident that are contradicted by video evidence. ****”Are these the actions of good cops?”***
You don't find it curious that you are watching a video on YouTube, that everyone on planet earth has access to, and yet you think that police encounter is somehow covered up? If you are seeing it on YouTube than the system is working, and these bad police officers are being held accountable.

Old 03-17-2023, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Well, as we say....."I wasn't there." That is, one is taking your word that is exactly what happens, all the time.....and I know it does not happen, all the time. So I answered the question the best I know how.

On Command Presence:
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
You had the advantage of working in the military, which is less patient with idiots.

Military police
Not quite how it went down but sufficient correct to answer the question. Let me put it this way with someone else, a different event. USMC FAST was training my anti terrorism platoon down at the rifle range and at the station house, we got the radio message they needed an ambulance, so we rolled one to them....and generated a lot of phone calls from the base HQ when they heard the sirens. As it was, the injury was a twisted ankle and a squad car would have done BUT that's not the way I operated. That if a field unit requested an asset, I was not going to 2nd guess them but get them what they asked for. If it was "incorrect", then you have corrective training afterwards.

The units, the people you put out in the field you trust to handle the situation as they should. If you don't trust them to be able to do so, they you shouldn't be deploying them. Depending what level they are at, if they can't lead, can't get the job done, you may have to dismiss them.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 03-17-2023 at 03:05 PM..

Old 03-17-2023, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
You don't find it curious that you are watching a video on YouTube, that everyone on planet earth has access to, and yet you think that police encounter is somehow covered up? If you are seeing it on YouTube than the system is working, and these bad police officers are being held accountable.
YES!We should be able to depend on the public servants we pay to protect us to keep us from harm and hold law breakers (even in uniform) accountable.we should not have to depend on private citizens cell phone videos to hold police accountable because police ignore fellow LEO who violate the constitutionally protected rights of American citizens.
So we should not expect police officers who see a fellow LEO engaging in false arrest, violently assaulting or killing an innocent civilian to act to stop or report the illegal and unconstitutional activities?

If 5 police officers see another police officer use excessive force and beat your ass and it’s not recorded that’s just to bad? We should not expect the other 5 officers to intervene in any way.
That is not acceptable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies