Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2023, 03:47 PM

4,858 posts, read 3,289,283 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmaster View Post
YES!We should be able to depend on the public servants we pay to protect us to keep us from harm and hold law breakers (even in uniform) accountable.we should not have to depend on private citizens cell phone videos to hold police accountable because police ignore fellow LEO who violate the constitutionally protected rights of American citizens.
So we should not expect police officers who see a fellow LEO engaging in false arrest, violently assaulting or killing an innocent civilian to act to stop or report the illegal and unconstitutional activities?

If 5 police officers see another police officer use excessive force and beat your ass and it’s not recorded that’s just to bad? We should not expect the other 5 officers to intervene in any way.
That is not acceptable
You may be able to pull up 100 YouTube videos of LE using excessive force from the jump... but you can also get 10,000 of them showing 'excessive force' resulting from 17 minutes of continual non-cooperation and antagonistic behavior by the 'victim'. Because it's almost become 'sport' for folks to turn the video on and see what they can stir up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2023, 03:57 PM

3,098 posts, read 3,787,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
You may be able to pull up 100 YouTube videos of LE using excessive force from the jump... but you can also get 10,000 of them showing 'excessive force' resulting from 17 minutes of continual non-cooperation and antagonistic behavior by the 'victim'. Because it's almost become 'sport' for folks to turn the video on and see what they can stir up.
Again another red herring argument that does not address my issues.

Old 03-17-2023, 04:05 PM

18,741 posts, read 7,623,084 times
Quote:
YES!We should be able to depend on the public servants we pay to protect us to keep us from harm and hold law breakers (even in uniform) accountable.we should not have to depend on private citizens cell phone videos to hold police accountable because police ignore fellow LEO who violate the constitutionally protected rights of American citizens.
So we should not expect police officers who see a fellow LEO engaging in false arrest, violently assaulting or killing an innocent civilian to act to stop or report the illegal and unconstitutional activities?

If 5 police officers see another police officer use excessive force and beat your ass and it’s not recorded that’s just to bad? We should not expect the other 5 officers to intervene in any way.
That is not acceptable
If a cop handles a thousand cases or more where he exercises commendable restraint, is straight with the people he encounters, talks to a cop he sees beating too hard on some guy who has been giving him grief and reports that cop to IA, wash rinse repeat over and over for an entire year without a flaw....

....and then on Nov. 10 sees a cop hit a suspect too hard when the suspect tries to fight him, and talks quietly to that cop but does NOT report that cop to IA...

1.) Is that a "good cop"?
2.) Are you looking for a "good cop"? Or a "Perfect cop"?

Old 03-17-2023, 05:02 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,267,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Personally I am against defunding the police, or even funding reallocations that include modifying the police budget and reducing the number of officers and especially replacing them with social workers.

HOWEVER

I will acknowledge, there are alot of bad apples out there that are cops, and many of them do not become prosecuted when they violate the rights of citizens due to Qualified Immunity, and/or favor from the department in general which runs rampant among cops. This, unfortunately incites public fear of police and also causes unnecessary escalations between the public and the police.

I am a black male and I do believe in racial profiling, but I do not believe cop misconduct is strictly restricted to race. I have seen cops abuse white ex-military veterans and arrest them without cause just as much as they would fire a bean bag on a BLM protester who is not actively posing violence but protesting peacefully and not interfering with the public or business. I've seen them beat up a white woman who was not in any way or form a threat to the officer but just not fully compliant to the officer and countless unlawful detainments as well as brutality of all races.

Another issue is, who really wants to be a cop? They are underpaid, hated by the public (even more so today) and have quite a dangerous job, therefore the typical contender to the badge is either A.) has a deep passion for the job or B.) is a total nutjob who is willing to undertake the risks and is probably a bit borderline himself to be willing to do so. ... and option B is typically the person who violates rights and gets away with it.

Some hypothetical thoughts on policing and racism...

I am not entirely sure if Chauvin kneeled on Floyd's neck only because he was black, as Chauvin seemingly displayed insecurity issues throughout his career. Quite possible that it had nothing to do with race and everything to do with Chauvin as a person, but I can't dismiss the race factor entirely. Floyd and Chauvin did clash together frequently in the past as they were both security gaurds in the same night club years prior, but its not clear if Chauvin recognized Floyd or not either. Overall, both were in the wrong IMO, there were no hero's in that incident.

On the otherhand, Rayshard Brooks 'was' shot and killed with legitimate reasoning after the officer was very cooperative with him, had a legitimate reason to arrest him, he resisted, and even grabbed the officer's taser, and pointed it at him.

That stated though, while I overall agree there have been alot of police incidents where the criminal was misrepresented as the victim, I also have to acknowledge that police brutality, violence and oppression 'is' a real problem in America, but I don't agree with the solutions of funding reallocations and becoming softer on legitimate crime. There needs to be a way to hold officers more accountable for their civil actions while maintaining their integrity to real law offenders.
I think we need a better class of criminal.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:14 AM

59,137 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
This is a red herring argument.

Try actually addressing my point and question.

Almost every time a police officer has been convicted in criminal court of murdering or assaulting an innocent civilian this is NEVER the result of good cops holding bad cops accountable.

The cops stand around watching instead of restraining the bad LEO, they don’t inform IA or the PD leadership, they lie on police reports that are contradicted by video evidence. ****Are these the actions of good cops?***

These convictions come about from private citizen or bodycam videos going viral and citizen outrage not “good cops.”
"Try actually addressing my point and question."
Try posting the data to back up your outlandish claims!

And you did not answer my question. How many interactions have you been involved in.

And again, watch the "cops" show and see how REAL police handle themselves.

Old 03-18-2023, 05:27 AM

59,137 posts, read 27,349,464 times
Quote:
It is telling that no law enforcement supporters want to address the question I have asked 5 times on this thread. The reason is clear : the answer is there are few if any good cops

I will post the question again

Almost every time a police officer has been convicted in criminal court of murdering or assaulting an innocent civilian this is NEVER the result of good cops holding bad cops accountable.

The cops stand around watching instead of restraining the bad LEO, they don’t inform IA or the PD leadership, they lie on police reports that are contradicted by video evidence. ****Are these the actions of good cops?***

These convictions come about from private citizen or bodycam videos going viral and citizen outrage not “good cops.”
If you were actually READ the posts, you would have your answer.
I posted this earlier, guess you either IGNORED it of didn't see it.

"Fact, there are over 365 million interactions with the police each year, of those .05% result in physical altercation and .003% end in loss of life. Everything is being blown so out of proportion it’s ridiculous"

And here is your REAL problem, "assaulting an innocent civilian"!

Old 03-18-2023, 07:56 AM

4,858 posts, read 3,289,283 times
Quote:
Again another red herring argument that does not address my issues.
Are you willing to apply the same standard to groups of like people other than police?

Yeah... I thought not.

Old 03-18-2023, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
If a cop handles a thousand cases or more where he exercises commendable restraint, is straight with the people he encounters, talks to a cop he sees beating too hard on some guy who has been giving him grief and reports that cop to IA, wash rinse repeat over and over for an entire year without a flaw....

....and then on Nov. 10 sees a cop hit a suspect too hard when the suspect tries to fight him, and talks quietly to that cop but does NOT report that cop to IA...

1.) Is that a "good cop"?
2.) Are you looking for a "good cop"? Or a "Perfect cop"?
Wether a police officer can quietly talk to a fellow officer or not depends on departmental polic and which state he lives in. In Washington state and California a LEO can be decertified and lose the ability to be a police officer if they do not report excessive force. So In some states and police departments that would be a bad cop.

Old 03-18-2023, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
If you were actually READ the posts, you would have your answer.
I posted this earlier, guess you either IGNORED it of didn't see it.

"Fact, there are over 365 million interactions with the police each year, of those .05% result in physical altercation and .003% end in loss of life. Everything is being blown so out of proportion it’s ridiculous"

And here is your REAL problem, "assaulting an innocent civilian"!
I’m sure the innocent white kid who in Georgia who had the cop suplex his head into the pavement crushing his skull bone did not think everything was blown out of proportion.
The woman cop in Houston who entered the wrong apartment and shot botham jean a black accountant who was also a youth pastor. His family doesn’t think this is blown out of proportion. The police department lied and tried to say this church going accountant was a drug dealer.

The issue isn’t how often police misconduct occurs the issue is fellow police officers,police depts and unions lie in police reports, make false statement and hide evidence to protect bad cops and allow bad cops to continue to violate the rights of American citizens.

This is why as soon as cop starts to talk to many law abiding citizens or they see police activity they whip out their cellphone and start recording because they don’t trust law enforcement entities to obey the law in the rare instances police misconduct occurs

Old 03-18-2023, 09:15 AM

13,966 posts, read 5,634,219 times
Still focused on the tool and not on the hand that wields it.

Cops, good or bad, are tools of the thugocracy. The bad cop incident is nothing more than tyranny showing you its true face. Thus, what you seek is the "correct answer for reducing tyranny."

The bureaucrat is where you'll find the answer. Dial down their tyranny, you dial down the probability of their agents flexing that tyranny. Don't blame the tool, blame the person putting that tool to use. Want better cops, then demand better bureaucrats. Want changes to law enforcement policy, then make life uncomfortable for bureaucrats until they improve those policies.

Identify the ACTUAL problem and who can actually implement the solution, then make the demand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies