Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:42 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,713,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Sounds to me like Darwin at work. At least the stupid idiot didn't run over somebody else.
You really have no filter, do you? You're so cold, heartless and insensitive. God help your wife and kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 02:18 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,613,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
If we are to claim being on a phone is a great danger for a normal person while driving the speed laws, then we have to look at emergency drivers who use their radios in high speed situations as certain death. The fact is, it isn't a problem with the device, but the lack of responsibility of the person. If you think they have special magical training, then think again. It is simply called "pay attention". The same thing you learn in driving school is the same thing they apply in high speed situations concerning being alert and defensive driving.

I am really getting tired of someone doing something stupid and everyone jumping up to claim that somehow this wouldn't be a problem if we banned this device or outlawed this action while driving. When do we get to ban stupid people? I can promise you that banning stupid people would be a heck of a lot more effective than banning something that a stupid person does irresponsibly.
Yes, you can't ban stupid drivers, but you can ban the device. Coming from a family that has several peramedics and law officers I know the radios they use are easier to handle. They are also in life or death situations unlike 99 percent of civilian drivers on the road. Not the teensy things we call cell phones. And I can see no reason a person has to be driving while making a call. If your call isn't important enough to pull off the road than apparently you don't need to make it. You may believe you are an expert driver, and may well be. But remember that many people involved in these accidents have the same opinion as you. Hopefully you never lose a loved one to such a tragedy.

Old 08-18-2008, 04:23 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,187 times
Quote:
Sounds to me like Darwin at work. At least the stupid idiot didn't run over somebody else.
Cruel, very cruel! This "stupid idiot" was a young lady and a member of a family, which is more than I can say for you!

Old 08-18-2008, 04:26 AM

Quote:
I am of the opinion myself that this country needs to raise the unsupervised driving age to 18. Kids are just not mature enough to drive. They are too damn silly and stupid. At the very least, if they cause a wreck not only should they go to jail but their parents should too.
Sixteen, 18 or 21, what's the difference, the maturity levels are all the same! Just watch some of the shows on the "how can we be stupider" cable channels and that will show you the light!

Old 08-18-2008, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I can watch Television on my cell phone while driving - I don't, but, I could.
Please put out an alert should you ever decide to do so!

Old 08-18-2008, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutime View Post
I find that you may have to raise that age to maybe 60. It isn't just kids on those cell phones. At a stop light last week I counted how many people actually using their cell phones while turning thru the intersection.
I counted 9 out of about 14 people. I refuse to get one. If people need to get ahold of me the message will still be on my machine when I get home!!
What did people do before cell phones? They may be great for road side assistance BUT NOT WHILE YOU ARE DRIVING! The next accident may involve your child or spouse,is it worth it????
People will get the message about using wireless devices when driving when the violation becomes a felony and not just a misdemeanor traffic ticket!

Old 08-18-2008, 04:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
First, as someone pointed out. She was drinking and driving. Thats the first problem and should be the main problem people are focusing on.

As for the devices, yes they can distract the idiots, but then taking away a device from an idiot doesn't change the fact that they are still an idiot. The problem is the driver, not the device. Many people out there are intelligent and attentive drivers who use phones and other various devices from time as needed while they drive.

If we are to claim being on a phone is a great danger for a normal person while driving the speed laws, then we have to look at emergency drivers who use their radios in high speed situations as certain death. The fact is, it isn't a problem with the device, but the lack of responsibility of the person. If you think they have special magical training, then think again. It is simply called "pay attention". The same thing you learn in driving school is the same thing they apply in high speed situations concerning being alert and defensive driving.

I am really getting tired of someone doing something stupid and everyone jumping up to claim that somehow this wouldn't be a problem if we banned this device or outlawed this action while driving. When do we get to ban stupid people? I can promise you that banning stupid people would be a heck of a lot more effective than banning something that a stupid person does irresponsibly.
Sorry, but you can't ban "intellectually disadvantaged" people performing stupid activities, there would be very few vehicles on the road!

Old 08-18-2008, 05:14 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I can watch Television on my cell phone while driving - I don't, but, I could.
We all agree that you have the rockingest cell phone in all of CD-land...

Old 08-18-2008, 05:18 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,431,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
FoxNews.com

I get sick to my stomach when I see these kind of stories. The lives of young persons being snuffed out by thoughtless acts of invincibility.
They should ban texting while driving. In California, it's illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving, but you can text. There is something very wrong with that.

Old 08-18-2008, 05:28 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,482,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
People will get the message about using wireless devices when driving when the violation becomes a felony and not just a misdemeanor traffic ticket!
No, they won't. Ramping up criminal penalties is an approximately useless strategy. Works so poorly that it doesn't really deserve being refered to as a strategy at all. More of a pandering-point that get-tough-on-crime politicians who don't have any real ideas about issues use to try to get themselves elected...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies