Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 07:52 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,769,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
You really have no filter, do you? You're so cold, heartless and insensitive. God help your wife and kids.
I have a filter for those who deserve it. I just don't suffer stupid fools too well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Sixteen, 18 or 21, what's the difference, the maturity levels are all the same! Just watch some of the shows on the "how can we be stupider" cable channels and that will show you the light!
A few more years of sitting with mom and dad and driving won't hurt.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:54 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I have a filter for those who deserve it. I just don't suffer stupid fools too well.
What's with this filter crap?

Old 08-18-2008, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
They should ban texting while driving. In California, it's illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving, but you can text. There is something very wrong with that.
That is stupid as all hell. Texting requires more attention than talking.

Old 08-18-2008, 07:56 PM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,187 times
Quote:
A few more years of sitting with mom and dad and driving won't hurt.
Tell me..., what world are you living in?

Old 08-18-2008, 08:03 PM

Teen Drivers: Dangerous to Others
January 2006

Next time your kids want to keys to the car, consider how many lives may be put in danger. A study done by AAA found that teenage drivers, ages 15 to 17, are more dangerous than initially suspected.

Based on AAA’s analysis, the results concluded:

30,917 people have been killed by teenage drivers from 1995 to 2004.
64% of the people killed were passengers, pedestrians, and people in other vehicles.
Teenagers have killed people in other vehicles at a rate five times higher than elderly drivers, and three times higher than 45 to 49 year-old drivers.
According to the chairman of the Governors Highway Safety Association, “The safety of all members of the driving public is jeopardized unless we reduce the number of teen driver crashes.†AAA plans to take these findings to state legislators to enact stricter teen-licensing laws.

Old 08-18-2008, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
They need to ban eating anything and drinking. Also, I think they should ban those GPS trackers as well as they divert peoples attention from the road. Another thing we need to ban is radios as a lot accidents have happened by people trying to tune their radio. Another thing we probably need to get rid of is any type of control or device in the vehicles such as air conditioning, seat controls/warmers and the like because they also distract people while they are driving.

While we are at it, the number of people allowed in the vehicle should be only the person driving as their attention is often diverted while talking to another person, especially those in the back seats. Lets not forget smoking. Lets ban that as well because it can distract and cause accidents. Also, we need to ban reading because I don't see it listed on the books and flossing/brushing your teeth is also a distraction (my friend was killed in an accident caused by someone flossing their teeth while driving). Oh, and there is makeup, that needs to be banned as well.

You know, I could keep going on and on. Yep, I think it is easier just to ban stupid people OR... here is a thought. Anyone who causes an accident as a result of this behavior has their DL revoked for 1 year first offense, 5 years second offense, and permanently in that state for a 3rd offense. That way, only stupid people are effected.
I actually agree with you on the food thing. I never eat in my car. Cars are not for eating in. They are not restaurants. If you wanna eat, go in and sit down or at the very least park.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:55 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
I actually agree with you on the food thing. I never eat in my car. Cars are not for eating in. They are not restaurants. If you wanna eat, go in and sit down or at the very least park.
My post wasn't suggesting that we do so, but an attempt to show the problem with the issue of "banning" things. All of the things I mentioned have reasonable examples of how they can endanger the driver and those around them. I could keep going on and on about all kinds of things that can distract people and probably should be banned if we are using the same approach we are with phones, texting and the like.

There is no logic in this debate. There are selective attacks on personal freedoms based on double standards and fluffy "how I feel" reasoning. People are attacking peoples rights more and more often these days and they can't even provide a logically consistent process of reasoning. As I said, if phones need to be banned, then a person who supports that and not all of which I mentioned is nothing more than a hypocrite who is merely acting on a personal pet peeve behavior. They are the very thing the founders warned us of concerning pure democracies and the self serving nature of the mob.

Here is a small point from the Federalist No. 10 concerning this very thing.

Quote:
From this view of the subject it may be concluded that a pure democracy, by which I mean a society consisting of a small number of citizens, who assemble and administer the government in person, can admit of no cure for the mischiefs of faction. A common passion or interest will, in almost every case, be felt by a majority of the whole; a communication and concert result from the form of government itself; and there is nothing to check the inducements to sacrifice the weaker party or an obnoxious individual. Hence it is that such democracies have ever been spectacles of turbulence and contention; have ever been found incompatible with personal security or the rights of property; and have in general been as short in their lives as they have been violent in their deaths. Theoretic politicians, who have patronized this species of government, have erroneously supposed that by reducing mankind to a perfect equality in their political rights, they would, at the same time, be perfectly equalized and assimilated in their possessions, their opinions, and their passions.
People running around banning things based on unfounded and illogical premises out of their own personal desires is at opposites with freedom. The calls for these random thoughtless bans are as negligent and irresponsible as those who they attempt to combat. These laws will only serve to be the destruction of a free society and there will be a heavy toll for that indiscretion.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:43 PM

3,089 posts, read 8,511,351 times
She had it coming how idiotic can you be to drive and thumb type at the same time. I mean what do expect to happen?

Old 08-19-2008, 02:43 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,613,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post

There is no logic in this debate. There are selective attacks on personal freedoms based on double standards and fluffy "how I feel" reasoning. People are attacking peoples rights more and more often these days and they can't even provide a logically consistent process of reasoning. As I said, if phones need to be banned, then a person who supports that and not all of which I mentioned is nothing more than a hypocrite who is merely acting on a personal pet peeve behavior.

You for one are concerned about your freedom, as we all are. That so called"pet peeve" you speak of is being run off the road with no way to get around it because a "stupid" woman is talking on her phone. Or almost being hit head on because they are texting. There may be some great drivers out there that are multi taskers as you yourself claim to be. But I still believe it is no big deal to pull to the side to make a call. I have had to do some fancy defensive moves to get out of the way of many of these "so called responisible drivers". They will tell you just how responsible they are. I hate losing freedoms the same as everyone else, but I have ran into more situations with people on a cell phone than any other distraction. I spend a lot of time in heavy traffic and would like to make it home each night. It would be fine if officers would ticket the careless ones, but I have yet to hear of this even once. Rip away, I'm done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies