Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 07:44 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW
Even teens should know better than to try to text while drunk.

Steve Hazzard
Quote:
Not funny, not funny at all!
Candy coat your remark any way you want, please think before linking mental output to keyboard input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2008, 07:45 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,440,947 times
I read of accidents with teen drivers almost daily in our paper, where speed or alcohol played a role.

By the way - who in your opinion is the "source" we should blame?

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-19-2008, 07:52 AM

634 posts, read 1,420,316 times
Kids can't buy beer.If they do, it's wrong doin' on an adults end somewhere, even if a teen gave it to her,that teen got it from somewhere to.Booze should not get into the hands of a teen.

Old 08-19-2008, 07:55 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutime View Post
You for one are concerned about your freedom, as we all are. That so called"pet peeve" you speak of is being run off the road with no way to get around it because a "stupid" woman is talking on her phone. Or almost being hit head on because they are texting. There may be some great drivers out there that are multi taskers as you yourself claim to be. But I still believe it is no big deal to pull to the side to make a call. I have had to do some fancy defensive moves to get out of the way of many of these "so called responisible drivers". They will tell you just how responsible they are. I hate losing freedoms the same as everyone else, but I have ran into more situations with people on a cell phone than any other distraction. I spend a lot of time in heavy traffic and would like to make it home each night. It would be fine if officers would ticket the careless ones, but I have yet to hear of this even once. Rip away, I'm done.
Your issue is with "stupid people". Banning cell phones and texting won't take away stupid people. People were cutting others off, not paying attention and almost hitting people, etc... long before cell phones and texting. This happens due to others not paying attention, not a device or action. Place blame where it is deserved, not on some stupid device that some have used safely while driving.

Your opinion of "its no big deal to pull to the side to make a call." is your personally subjective opinion as to what I should do. I don't care what you think. If you have a case that is logically justified, then I am willing to accept its reasoning, but you do not. You haven't answered to all the other things that cause these problems and you still think that by banning these devices, it will solve the problems. Once you find out that doesn't work, you will get angry again and push for more bans that won't work. In the end, the only solution is to take everyone and put them in padded cells because "some" people are too stupid to function in the world. Everyone must suffer the stupidity of others. Its flawed logic.

You also claim that "It would be fine if officers would ticket the careless ones, but I have yet to hear of this even once." and then for some reason think if we add yet more laws, it will fix everything? Seriously, think about your position here. How will more laws work if the police are not even enforcing existing ones as you say?

Not only that, but you ever notice how many speeders there are out there? I can drive out now and promise you I will see many of them before I get to where I am going. The laws don't seem to be working there and yet you think banning these devices will fix everything?

I don't think you care about freedoms, I think you only care about those ones that you want and the rest can be taken away because you "feel" they are a wrong for others to have. Freedom isn't a pick and choose type of thing. That is, sometimes in order to support freedom, you have to live with things that you may not like. The moment you start taking others away, you have thrown freedom out the window and turned it into a conditional application of your choice.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:05 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,440,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS-1080 View Post
Kids can't buy beer.If they do, it's wrong doin' on an adults end somewhere, even if a teen gave it to her,that teen got it from somewhere to.Booze should not get into the hands of a teen.

I partly agree with that. However 16 years is old enough to have heard about drinking and driving and the consequences. I am sure this girl knew this was wrong. I feel for her family.
Glad she didn't get anyone else killed though.

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-19-2008, 08:38 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I partly agree with that. However 16 years is old enough to have heard about drinking and driving and the consequences. I am sure this girl knew this was wrong. I feel for her family.
Glad she didn't get anyone else killed though.
You are right that they have heard about it but at 16 who really thinks maturely. I didn't think about the consequences and yes, I drank and drove in my little town just about every weekend from the time I got my license until I went to college. It was fun and I didn't look ahead to what might happen. I'm not proud of it but I won't lie about it. It's no different than teens who have sex and the girl winds up pregnant. They know what causes pregnancy but they don't stop and think about that. They do it b/c it's fun and that's that. Someone bought her the alcohol you know. There were some younger parents around when I was in HS and they bought it for us. I'd kill someone if they do that when my son is a teen. But we thought they were cool. It's amazing how quickly people can jump on their moral high horses like they've never done anything wrong. I'm glad I can be realistic.

Old 08-19-2008, 08:46 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,411,503 times
Somebody help me here. Why do 16 year olds have cell phones again?

Old 08-19-2008, 08:55 AM

1,703 posts, read 3,871,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
I'll go you one better. Why to 10 and 11 year olds have them???? B/c in this country everyone has to be connected at all times and if you don't get them for your kids, their lives will be over

Old 08-19-2008, 08:57 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,056,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Your issue is with "stupid people". Banning cell phones and texting won't take away stupid people. People were cutting others off, not paying attention and almost hitting people, etc... long before cell phones and texting. This happens due to others not paying attention, not a device or action. Place blame where it is deserved, not on some stupid device that some have used safely while driving.

Your opinion of "its no big deal to pull to the side to make a call." is your personally subjective opinion as to what I should do. I don't care what you think. If you have a case that is logically justified, then I am willing to accept its reasoning, but you do not. You haven't answered to all the other things that cause these problems and you still think that by banning these devices, it will solve the problems. Once you find out that doesn't work, you will get angry again and push for more bans that won't work. In the end, the only solution is to take everyone and put them in padded cells because "some" people are too stupid to function in the world. Everyone must suffer the stupidity of others. Its flawed logic.

You also claim that "It would be fine if officers would ticket the careless ones, but I have yet to hear of this even once." and then for some reason think if we add yet more laws, it will fix everything? Seriously, think about your position here. How will more laws work if the police are not even enforcing existing ones as you say?

Not only that, but you ever notice how many speeders there are out there? I can drive out now and promise you I will see many of them before I get to where I am going. The laws don't seem to be working there and yet you think banning these devices will fix everything?

I don't think you care about freedoms, I think you only care about those ones that you want and the rest can be taken away because you "feel" they are a wrong for others to have. Freedom isn't a pick and choose type of thing. That is, sometimes in order to support freedom, you have to live with things that you may not like. The moment you start taking others away, you have thrown freedom out the window and turned it into a conditional application of your choice.
In my opinion it is reprehensible to defend the use of cell phones and texting while driving. Yes, that is my opinion, and no it is not based on "flawed logic", as you are so fond of pointing out.

To take away the use of cell phones while driving, is not a loss of freedom, an inconvenience, yes...but not a loss of freedom, there is no freedom or right to use a cell phone and put another person at risk.

Last edited by seattlerain; 08-19-2008 at 09:11 AM..

Old 08-19-2008, 09:18 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
Because parents feel an obligation to give cell phones to teen and pre-teens without thinking about the consequences of their actions. It's also part of the "sexualization" of young children, especially girls. Please look at the person in the mirror for the answer to that question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies