Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 09:05 AM

2,308 posts, read 2,588,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinsmom View Post
WTF??????? I swear California is an island all its own. I can talk a heck of a lot easier than I can text ESPECIALLY when driving! I find texting to be a pain in the rump on a good day. How can you possibly do it while driving unless you are sitting in traffic? Although I feel for her family. Although I'm with some others. The alcohol affected this situation more than the texting. But I guess drunk texting should be outlawed. That's beyong crazy. I would be dead now if I'd had cell phones when I was 16.
You have to realize that these "kids" were born with a cell phone in their hand! Many of these "kids" can text faster than you and I can talk, especially using the vernacular of texting which is equivalent to the shorthand used by a court stenographer on a machine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2008, 09:15 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,761,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DestinationSeattle View Post
I don't use my phone in the car, but don't take away my option to do so, and don't punish me for the stupidity of others. You might as well ban people from changing the radio station while they're driving. And there are already distracted-driving laws on the books. That's enough.

We can simply define using a phone while driving as stupid. Which it is, even when done by smart guys like you and me.

People used to have to stop, get out of the car and use a pay phone. I see it as no great hardship to pull over and park before using a cell phone. Oh, that way people would be confined to short conversations and messages but that's aces with me.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:19 AM

If the insurance companies refused coverage for people who had accidents while on the phone that might stop many people from driving while on the phone. That would be the right-wing answer to the problem.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Sounds to me like Darwin at work. At least the stupid idiot didn't run over somebody else.

Good for you Kevin. Telling it like it is.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:35 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,269,913 times
Many states have already, or are in process of, enacted laws relating to text messaging or talking on a cell phone.

As legislation continues - text messaging is being prohibited. Once done, the public needs to be educated about the tremendous risks associated with text messaging while driving. And, this education has to occur with both young and old - and, it must be explicit education - showing the real life events such as this one as an example.

As for talking on the cell - laws are being enacted to require the use of "hands free" devices at a very minimum while talking. Bluetooth technology is so widely available - and at such a minimal cost - I really cannot understand those who do not use it while driving. Keeping both hands on the wheel is essential to safe driving.

We are NEVER going to be able to prevent all of these tragedies - all we can hope for is to minimize them

Old 08-18-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
If the insurance companies refused coverage for people who had accidents while on the phone that might stop many people from driving while on the phone. That would be the right-wing answer to the problem.
Good suggestion! That would be my right-wing answer.

Old 08-18-2008, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK
Sounds to me like Darwin at work. At least the stupid idiot didn't run over somebody else.

Irishtom29
Quote:
Good for you Kevin. Telling it like it is.
Well, we now have 2 human-less OP's.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:08 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,955,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutime View Post
Yes, you can't ban stupid drivers, but you can ban the device. Coming from a family that has several peramedics and law officers I know the radios they use are easier to handle. They are also in life or death situations unlike 99 percent of civilian drivers on the road. Not the teensy things we call cell phones. And I can see no reason a person has to be driving while making a call. If your call isn't important enough to pull off the road than apparently you don't need to make it. You may believe you are an expert driver, and may well be. But remember that many people involved in these accidents have the same opinion as you. Hopefully you never lose a loved one to such a tragedy.
Being that I have been trained in high speed driving while using a radio, I would say they are no more difficult or easy than a phone. Also, as I stated, it isn't a special trick. It is simply "paying attention" and that same form of defensive driving is taught in normal driving school.

Also, you seem to think highly of your opinions. I don't say that in a snide way, but to comment about the fact that you believe your opinion is sufficient cause to tell other people what they can and can't do. I can drive with a cell, even text on occasion if I must (I usually don't as most texts can wait) and I take the responsibilty to pull over if the action requires significant attention. I am a responsible driver, never been in a single accident and through my defensive driving have avoided accidents myself as well as helping to prevent another from having one (flashing breaks when there is a slow up or stop, watching an intersection and catching a person who runs a light in time so that I can safely avoid their collision, etc..)

So, if I am a responsible driver, why must I be bombarded by laws built for stupid people? Why must I be lowered to their level of childish rule restrictions because they are too stupid and too irresponsible to do things on their own? I know I am a far more qualified driver than yourself and yet you feel that your "opinion" should regulate my behavior?

And that is just it isn't it? Your opinion about how you feel about what other people should and shouldn't be able to do. Funny how freedoms these days are now subject to how people feel. Actually, its not funny, it is down right despicable.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hazzard View Post
Sorry, but you can't ban "intellectually disadvantaged" people performing stupid activities, there would be very few vehicles on the road!
*chuckle* I know, its wishful thinking and more so to point out the silly approach of banning the devices. Simple fact is, this won't change things. People will still have accidents, they will just be fiddling with something else. The phones are just an easy target.

Old 08-18-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottonwood2420 View Post
They should ban texting while driving. In California, it's illegal to talk on a cell phone while driving, but you can text. There is something very wrong with that.
They need to ban eating anything and drinking. Also, I think they should ban those GPS trackers as well as they divert peoples attention from the road. Another thing we need to ban is radios as a lot accidents have happened by people trying to tune their radio. Another thing we probably need to get rid of is any type of control or device in the vehicles such as air conditioning, seat controls/warmers and the like because they also distract people while they are driving.

While we are at it, the number of people allowed in the vehicle should be only the person driving as their attention is often diverted while talking to another person, especially those in the back seats. Lets not forget smoking. Lets ban that as well because it can distract and cause accidents. Also, we need to ban reading because I don't see it listed on the books and flossing/brushing your teeth is also a distraction (my friend was killed in an accident caused by someone flossing their teeth while driving). Oh, and there is makeup, that needs to be banned as well.

You know, I could keep going on and on. Yep, I think it is easier just to ban stupid people OR... here is a thought. Anyone who causes an accident as a result of this behavior has their DL revoked for 1 year first offense, 5 years second offense, and permanently in that state for a 3rd offense. That way, only stupid people are effected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies