Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2008, 08:45 AM

19 posts, read 102,342 times

Advertisements

My two cents on the matter...

I have to say after reading this tread, that some of the non-smokers sound like petulant teenage girls and the smokers just want to be afforded the same right to make their own stupid life choices like other people do.

I don't smoke but I don't vote for bans either.
I've lived in many places that have smoking bans and as a non-smoker I don't get it. If smoke bothered me I moved...it was my problem not the smokers. Why should someone else be made to stop smoking because I don't like it? I can't make people go home and shower if they have nasty BO, but I can avoid them. People who go on about the smoke being "everywhere" and "I can't breath" or "I have Asthma" are so full of poo. If your breathing is so bad as to be affected by second hand smoke, you could not servive in PGH. PGH has some of the worst air quality in the US from the years of steel mills and coal mines poluting the air. I have had resiratory problems in the past and smoke bothered my breathing but I didn't cry to law makers, I just didn't go in the smoking section. ( before the smoing ban was in effect here) I didn't feel like my "rights" were being trampled. I took responsibility for my own health.

I guess I'm just biased because I work in the health care industry and I have to tell you...NON-SMOKERS DIE EVERYDAY! Yes, the #1 cause of COPD and Emphasema is smoking but did you know the #1 cause of bladder cancer is smoking? I always wondered how those people were smoking their cigs! Non-smokers also die in horrible health related ways also.

I believe EVERYONE has the right to an opinion, if I argee with it or not doesn't matter. However, when we start passing laws that will effect a persons personal life we get into very sticky grounds. IMHO

Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2008, 08:46 AM

109 posts, read 286,430 times
ACS,the american cancer society just announced second hand smoke DOES NOT CAUSE CANCER IN NON-SMOKERS........................the anti-smoking movement is fast reaching its peak and legislators all around the country are looking at repeals.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:14 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
that some of the non-smokers sound like petulant teenage girls and the smokers just want to be afforded the same right to make their own stupid life choices like other people do.
I've seen the opposite, not just here but in real life and in other places on the internet and in letters to the editor. It's the smokers who threaten to stand outside entryways and blow smoke into people's faces or threaten to go into establishments and smoke, daring people to make them stop. I get how it will be a change in lifestyle for people, but the decision has been made for the greater good, and smokers have to deal.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:15 AM

Senate Bill 346 proposes change to Ohio's smoking ban : News : WNWO NBC24

Ohio has been hit very hard by the smoking ban,so much so that 6000 businesses have shut down or reduced staffing so much they may as well close down.

Ohio lawmakers are looking to snuff out the state's smoking ban, and a group of Toledo residents are jumping on board.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I've seen the opposite, not just here but in real life and in other places on the internet and in letters to the editor. It's the smokers who threaten to stand outside entryways and blow smoke into people's faces or threaten to go into establishments and smoke, daring people to make them stop. I get how it will be a change in lifestyle for people, but the decision has been made for the greater good, and smokers have to deal.
the greater good, no.The rights of the individual is what makes everyones rights strong.america is a republic where the little guy has as much right as the majority..........mob rule slash majority rule is not the way for freedom to be expressed but by protecting the rights of one........that one individual who stands up and says NO,and lites up is the majorities greatest hero...............he stands alone to serve as the denominator for individual liberty for all....

Old 09-16-2008, 09:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider1978 View Post
ACS,the american cancer society just announced second hand smoke DOES NOT CAUSE CANCER IN NON-SMOKERS........................the anti-smoking movement is fast reaching its peak and legislators all around the country are looking at repeals.
Source??

Old 09-16-2008, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Source??
Lung cancer death rates among never smokers higher in men than women

A new American Cancer Society study « Ban the Ban Wisconsin

The report also found no indication that lung cancer rates have changed among lifelong nonsmokers in the U.S. since the 1930s, failing to support assertions by other researchers that lung cancer risk has increased substantially in the United States in lifelong nonsmokers. Still, they point out the importance of the disease among non-smokers. “Lung cancer is obviously a significant public health and medical problem, even beyond the overwhelming disease burden caused by tobacco smoking,” the researchers conclude.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:15 AM

Scientific Evidence Shows Secondhand Smoke Is No Danger

Written By: Jerome Arnett, Jr., M.D.
Published In: Environment & Climate News
Publication Date: July 1, 2008
Publisher:
The Heartland Institute
Heartland Institute - Article

Old 09-16-2008, 10:17 AM

70 posts, read 336,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harleyrider1978 View Post
Senate Bill 346 proposes change to Ohio's smoking ban : News : WNWO NBC24

Ohio has been hit very hard by the smoking ban,so much so that 6000 businesses have shut down or reduced staffing so much they may as well close down.

Ohio lawmakers are looking to snuff out the state's smoking ban, and a group of Toledo residents are jumping on board.

Pffft. It must be election year again.

Old 09-16-2008, 10:18 AM

osha on second hand smoke

U.S. Department of Labor
Occupational Safety & Health Administration
www.osha.gov

Because the organic material in tobacco doesn't burn completely, cigarette smoke contains more than 4,700 chemical compounds. Although OSHA has no regulation that addresses tobacco smoke as a whole, 29 CFR 1910.1000 Air contaminants, limits employee exposure to several of the main chemical components found in tobacco smoke. In normal situations, exposures would not exceed these permissible exposure limits (PELs), and, as a matter of prosecutorial discretion, OSHA will not apply the General Duty Clause to ETS.

osha and others have done air testing...........excerpt,

Air quality test results by Johns Hopkins University, the American Cancer Society, a Minnesota Environmental Health Department, and various researchers whose testing and report was peer reviewed and published in the esteemed British Medical Journal......prove that secondhand smoke is 2.6 - 25,000 times SAFER than occupational (OSHA) workplace regulations....

dose makes the poison..................shs is harmless.....and if your really worried about it just install a fan thru a window.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies