Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2015, 10:30 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,139,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is certainly jobs that are much more hazardous and if that is a concern apply for a job elsewhere.

So a job that has hazardous conditions like logging should have no safety standards in place because if workers want them they should just look for work elsewhere?

Why have labor laws or OSHA standards at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 10:32 AM

59,111 posts, read 27,340,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madicarus2000 View Post
Why is it that the harm from second-hand smoke is accepted as sound science but global warming is some leftist consipracy? I dont smoke and I dont care for smoke, but if someone wants to smoke, and it is in a public area or a "smoking section" they can. If there is a business that wants to cater to the smoker, I'll let the business know that I as a non smoker wont contribute to the business by being a patron and will let my non-smoker friends know.
"Why is it that the harm from second-hand smoke is accepted as sound science"

I heard that only one study was done and has been debunked yet, everybody wants believe it.

"Fact: The EPA based their numbers on a meta analysis of just 11 studies. The analysis showed no increase in risk at the 95% confidence level."

"Fact: Even after excluding most of the studies, the EPA couldn't come up with 3,000 deaths, but they had already announced the results. So they changed the CI to 90%, which, in effect, doubled their margin of error. Fact Worth Repeating: Instead of using the 95% confidence interval, the statistical standard that has been used for decades, the EPA doubled their margin of error to achieve their pre-announced results.
Would any legitimate epidemiologist keep their job if they were caught doubling their margin of error to support a pre-announced conclusion?
Fact: After juggling the numbers, The EPA came up with an RR (Relative Risk) of ETS causing lung cancer 1.19. In layman's terms that means:

• Exposure to the ETS from a spouse increases the risk of getting lung cancer by 19%.
• Where you'd usually see 100 cases of cancer you'd see 119. Fact: A RR of less than 2.0 is usually written off as an unimportant result. An RR of 3.0 or higher is considered desirable. (See Statistics 101 for more details.)"

The EPA Report on Second Hand Smoke (SHS) - The Facts

Read the complete aerticle, then make your own decision.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your MIL. I too live with an asthmatic . We avoid smoke in public places like the plague.

However, it is important to remember that nicotine addiction is a serious addiction. One that has been both pushed in the popular media and subsidized by our government.

I have compassion for my fellow human beings who smoke and want to quit.

I choose to "vote" with my dollars. I frequent establishments that do not allow smoking...and avoid those that do.
I disagree with your premise, " that nicotine addiction is a serious addiction"

It is NOT an addiction. It is a habit.

I know way too many people who have quit cold turkey WITHOUT ANY "medical" help.

Drug use is an "addiction" that usually CANNOT be cured without help.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
Here in Minnesota we have been dealing with a smoking ban on restaurants and bars. The ban was struck down state-wide, except in the counties that surround Minneapolis/St. Paul. Many people are upset that smoking is not allowed in public places. I for one am extremely happy for this because I simply don't like the smell of cigarette smoke and all other types. My wife and kids have severe asthma so that is yet a more important reason for not wanting to be around the smoke.

Many people of course are whining that their rights are being taken away by these bans that have been in place for about a year now. My take on it is what about the rights of nonsmokers? What about the rights of people like my young kids who have asthma and can't go out to restaurants if there is a smoking section? It's a controversy where there are no winners...and everyone loses...like my mother-in-law who died due to smoking.
" My wife and kids have severe asthma"

I know people who are allergic to perfume. Should we ban that in the public also?

Some people are alcoholics, a medical problem,. Should we ban ALL alcohol in public places?

Old 03-27-2015, 10:44 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,945,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
There is certainly jobs that are much more hazardous and if that is a concern apply for a job elsewhere.
your debate here is so full of holes, i find it hard to even address . however , just take one hole, the respect for the law. That means the right to work where you want, as long as you do not interfere with other workers. Smokers should required to obey the rules at the same level as all the other workers in all fairness , the vote must go for the majority. if you still want to smoke in the company of others , join or form a private smoking club, where everyone has a vote.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:44 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

I know people who are allergic to perfume. Should we ban that in the public also?

Some people are alcoholics, a medical problem,. Should we ban ALL alcohol in public places?
I smoke, and perfumes and colognes make me gag!

Old 03-27-2015, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

booze does not smell in an open environment , perfume does, just like smoke. THE people must decide by vote.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
I smoke, and perfumes and colognes make me gag!
how about people who stink for other reasons, including hygine.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:57 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
So a job that has hazardous conditions like logging should have no safety standards in place because if workers want them they should just look for work elsewhere?
Logging is an inherently dangerous and I certainly wouldn't consider it a career path. I'd take bartender over that any day if safety was my main concern. If my employer was asking me to do something dangerous I tell them to kiss my ass.

Furthermore as the majority of employers will not allow smoking there will be a plethora of jobs available where this not a cocern, what is the issue?

Old 03-27-2015, 11:02 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
That means the right to work where you want, as long as you do not interfere with other workers.
I recently toured an old school manufacturing plant and the place was littered with cigarette butts. If you applied there and insisted they abide by anti smoking laws who is that would be interfering with who?

Quote:
the vote must go for the majority.
The only vote that should count here is who owns the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies