Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 07:22 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,567,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Also: What's the point of having a Supreme Court or judiciary branch if the popular vote is the final word?

We could draw it out even further and ask: Why even have a legislative branch? Just let the people vote and we'll have majority rule on everything.
Ha! You just KNOW there are plenty of people out there nodding their head vigorously & shouting "YES!" in agreement w/that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2008, 07:23 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,003,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I know, I didn't understand that one either. God, that was such a great day too, I was so happy for everyone. And then....it was BS pure & simple & I don't understand how they bent to the puritans.

the mormons lied through their teeth to sway the uneducated masses of folk who vote "culturally". CA is much more conservative than ppl think.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:52 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Ha! You just KNOW there are plenty of people out there nodding their head vigorously & shouting "YES!" in agreement w/that.
Oh, I know. Well, hopefully this whole fiasco will help to serve as a refresher course on California government for a lot of people.

Some people are so ignorant. Obviously, they don't understand how it all works. Thank goodness we don't have "mob rule" in this country - at least, not usually.

Old 11-19-2008, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Oh, I know. Well, hopefully this whole fiasco will help to serve as a refresher course on California government for a lot of people.

Some people are so ignorant. Obviously, they don't understand how it all works. Thank goodness we don't have "mob rule" in this country - at least, not usually.
Unfortunately, it seems like we have mob rule happening right now. And what is interesting is that these same people who cry foul about gays trying & deserving to get the same rights would inevitably turn right around & riot if the government tried to take away their right to practice whatever religion it is that they practice. And also can you even imagine what would've happened back in the day if heterosexuals were told they couldn't marry each other if say the woman couldn't produce a child, because marriage is only for procreating?? Actually, I would LOVE to witness that, it would be sweet.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Unfortunately, it seems like we have mob rule happening right now.
That's the problem with the ballot initiative process. I wish we didn't have it. But if we must have it, I wish it would be fixed so that a 2/3 majority would be required to amend the constitution.

Amendments to the U.S. Constitution require the approval of 3/4 of the states, 2/3 of Congress, and a signature by the President.

It's a big deal to change even a state's Constitution; it should require more than a simple 50% + 1 popular vote.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:04 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Many are disappointed that the Court did not immediately repeal Prop 8 per the recommendation of the governor\ state legislature. Now the justices could face re-call if they over-rule the proposition. But the course is clear & gay marriage will be re-instated fairly soon.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
That's the problem with the ballot initiative process. I wish we didn't have it. But if we must have it, I wish it would be fixed so that a 2/3 majority would be required to amend the constitution.

Amendments to the U.S. Constitution require the approval of 3/4 of the states, 2/3 of Congress, and a signature by the President.

It's a big deal to change even a state's Constitution; it should require more than a simple 50% + 1 popular vote.
I totally agree. I didn't know all the numbers that were involved in that prop, however seeing it now, it doesn't jive. But you know, I have to say that even if the correct numbers were there for majority rule, it's still not right. It is NOT RIGHT for people to vote on a civil rights issue. This is wrong.

Old 11-19-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Now the justices could face re-call if they over-rule the proposition.
Yeah, I know. I don't understand it. How can we have an impartial judiciary if they're subject to being recalled by the electorate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Many are disappointed that the Court did not immediately repeal Prop 8 per the recommendation of the governor\ state legislature. Now the justices could face re-call if they over-rule the proposition. But the course is clear & gay marriage will be re-instated fairly soon.
God, let's hope so! This is a big deal, I don't care if others don't think so. It will take our country into a different era & really make us a leader w/this kind of thinking.

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Since the will of the voters doesn't appear to carry much weight, perhaps the ridiculous 1997 proposition where idiotic CA voters chose to ban affirmative action should also be challenged.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies