Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2007, 09:31 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I would suggest many hard working Americans do not partake in happy meals and scones. Health care should be manageable. You forgot the premiums in your analysis.

So it is really over $4k just to have health care before you get any benefit from it. And if you have an emergency you are talking thousands and thousands more out of pocket, all of a sudden.

You think that is acceptable. And that lower class working people should be able to plan for this. I would suggest that is ridiculous.
You haven't looked around at most Americans then....

28% have high definition TV.

60% have cable TV.

82% own cell phones.

Perhaps instead of going round and round why don't you tell us what is acceptable to YOU as far as costs of healthcare per person?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:36 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
Well that is the game you like to play oz. As long as oz can get a nice health plan, the rest of the country can go to hell in a handbasket. Health care is just going up every year, so the sytem is going to break. It is not if, but when.

I would be curious to find out from you what do you think is acceptable for Americans to pay for health care, and at what point would you state it is becoming too much of a burden.

You are happy with $300/month premiums and $2500 deductible and 20% copays.

Would you think that $400/month and $3000 deductible is ok?

How about $500/month and $4000 deductible?

What is oz's line in the sand?

Old 11-28-2007, 09:46 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,870,208 times
Quote:
Well that is the game you like to play oz. As long as oz can get a nice health plan, the rest of the country can go to hell in a handbasket. Health care is just going up every year, so the sytem is going to break. It is not if, but when.

I would be curious to find out from you what do you think is acceptable for Americans to pay for health care, and at what point would you state it is becoming too much of a burden.

You are happy with $300/month premiums and $2500 deductible and 20% copays.

Would you think that $400/month and $3000 deductible is ok?

How about $500/month and $4000 deductible?

What is oz's line in the sand?
You forgot to answer my question so we don't have to keep going round and round....

Please tell us what is acceptable to YOU as far as costs of healthcare per person?
You can break it down per month or per day,if there should be some sort of deductible or co-pay,I am pretty open.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
IMO, insurance, any kind of insurance, is INTENDED for catastrophic situations:

I don't have car insurance that pays for oil changes, tune ups or other maintenence issues.

I don't have homeowners insurance that pays to have the house painted, or the clogged drain fixed.

Same with my health insurance - I have, at my choosing, a $5000 deductible. It is then 90/10 for the next $5000 and 100% after that. I could have chosen a smaller deductible but, in our case, there was no need.

I pay for my regular doctor visits and immunizations. If the doctor writes a script - my insurance does have co-pay depending on the prescription. If I want to, I could go to WalMart and get my scrips - where most generics are $4.00

There are now more and more doctors NOT ACCEPTING insurance - and reducing their overhead (billing) and passing the savings onto their patients. There are more and more "clinics" showing up in shopping malls and airports where one can get that "ache and pain" treated for $20 or $30. Physicals for $50 including x-rays.

Point is, healthcare (affordable) is actually becoming MORE ACCESSIBLE - and this accessbility is being promoted by .... Private business.

Competition - let it work.

Ah ha!

So you won't answer my question oz. (Two can play that game).

And what does oz say about the 10-15% of Americans denied health care because of their preexisting conditions. Do they have any "rights"?

2,970 posts, read 2,259,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You haven't looked around at most Americans then....

28% have high definition TV.

60% have cable TV.

82% own cell phones.

Perhaps instead of going round and round why don't you tell us what is acceptable to YOU as far as costs of healthcare per person?
Yes. Hate to say it but Americans are spoiled. . . We want all these "toys." Many people get wants and needs confused. They think it is their due to have all these high-tech gadgets but then think "someone else" -the gov't should pay if they need health care? Warped at best.

When I was in scool there was another student who had 3 children, her schooling was completely payed for (while I payed for my own) she was on WIC, she was on govt assistance for everything yet she had a cell phone- I didn't. It just really shows how messed up our society is.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
IMO, insurance, any kind of insurance, is INTENDED for catastrophic situations:

I don't have car insurance that pays for oil changes, tune ups or other maintenence issues.

I don't have homeowners insurance that pays to have the house painted, or the clogged drain fixed.

Same with my health insurance - I have, at my choosing, a $5000 deductible. It is then 90/10 for the next $5000 and 100% after that. I could have chosen a smaller deductible but, in our case, there was no need.

I pay for my regular doctor visits and immunizations. If the doctor writes a script - my insurance does have co-pay depending on the prescription. If I want to, I could go to WalMart and get my scrips - where most generics are $4.00

There are now more and more doctors NOT ACCEPTING insurance - and reducing their overhead (billing) and passing the savings onto their patients. There are more and more "clinics" showing up in shopping malls and airports where one can get that "ache and pain" treated for $20 or $30. Physicals for $50 including x-rays.

Point is, healthcare (affordable) is actually becoming MORE ACCESSIBLE - and this accessbility is being promoted by .... Private business.

Competition - let it work.

greatday that works for simple preventative visits. It does not work for any serious illness or surgery. And it is great you are relatively healthy and with enough discretionary income to risk carrying that high a deductible. Many Americans are not in that situation, no many how manny happy meals they sacrifice. Competition is "not" working. That is the problem we are face with.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:54 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times
Quote:
greatday that works for simple preventative visits. It does not work for any serious illness or surgery. And it is great you are relatively healthy and with enough discretionary income to risk carrying that high a deductible. Many Americans are not in that situaiton, no many how manny happy meals they sacrifice. Competition is "not" working. That is the problem we are face with.
Sure it works for serious illness or surgery - why wouldn't it?

In our case, we pay for the first 5k - insurance picks up the tab for everything over. AND, if I have already used our 5K deductible this year, it picks up the tab right away

Don't like 5K? Fine - get a policy with a lower deductibe - many have -0- deductible -

Point is - you have, right now, the FREEDOM to pick the coverages YOU WANT - not what the government tells you that you must have

Old 11-28-2007, 09:56 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
LOL... the greatest burden in healthcare is from the sickest people who require prolonged and expensive treatments. I suppose you rather everyone shares the burden of someone else's care. I tell you what. INSTEAD of forcing everyone to share their burden how about we set-up a VOLUNTARY program where people can share each other's health care expenses and we will let you go in and share their burdens. NO? What do you mean no? You mean you want to FORCE everyone to pay and not just you? Well, doesn't that beat all....

Old 11-28-2007, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Sure it works for serious illness or surgery - why wouldn't it?

In our case, we pay for the first 5k - insurance picks up the tab for everything over. AND, if I have already used our 5K deductible this year, it picks up the tab right away

Don't like 5K? Fine - get a policy with a lower deductibe - many have -0- deductible -

Point is - you have, right now, the FREEDOM to pick the coverages YOU WANT - not what the government tells you that you must have
I was referring to the doctors skipping the insurance altogether.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies