Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 03:33 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Convert 54 View Post
Retired cop here folks. Everything I have seen from all the different videos, this is a prime example of excessive use of force...............by that I mean I have seen nothing to indicate that even the deployment of a taser would be justified.

The shooting was and is 2nd degree homicide here in oklahoma.

The taser is........................should...........be taken away from Law enforcement.

IT is being abused......................
I may not agree with your politics, but am in 100% agreement with you on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 03:41 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Are you serious or actually being sarcastic? Who wouldn't get uncomfortable around a crowd of unruly bystanders? Especially in that area. It would have been best had the onlookers just kept their mouths shut. Heckling the police never helps the situation. Quietly videoing the situation is fine, but other than that, just stay out of it.

Otherwise, the actions of the resulting riots make me feel less sympathetic to the wrong doing. Two wrongs don't make a right, and I'm tired of seeing the black victim/racist card being so quickly played again. No wonder there's still such a thing as white flight. Who wants to live in a neighborhood where the people are so quick to throw a temper tantrum and trash completely innocent people's property while they are doing it?
Are you serious??? Police are TRAINED to deal w/numerous situations. It's called "police academy". Some however, slip thru the cracks & are rolled out into real life where they severely **** up, just like this one did.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:19 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cousinsal View Post
The guy was SITTING on the side, doing NOTHING until they suddenly went over there and started harrassing him.

And, then, when he was DOWN with the cop's knee on his back, he shoots him execution-style.

The cop should definitely be tried for MURDER, plain and simple. Nothing less.
The cops were originally called to break up a fight between that man and another... so they weren't exactly sitting peacefully, minding their own business at the station. Did you watch all of the videos? That still doesn't justify what this officer did, but you should get all of the facts before calling for a lynch mob. I think manslaughter or 2nd-degree murder would be appropriate - nothing more, since it was clearly not planned and possibly an accident. Instead of getting irrationally angry like the mobs in Oakland, let's try to keep some logic and sense involved in the discussion.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:28 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,547 times
Folks, FOlks, FOlks, I have seen several postings now stating the guy was resisting the cop some how.

What that youngster was doing wasnt resisting arrest, I kno. I have had some serious knock down drag out fights with people.

I say again the young man WASNT resisting arrest, this is a good example of resisting arrest
YouTube - Cop VS. Crazed Criminal = Unbelievable Street Fight
Do you notice that no one is dead at the end and do you notice that solid citizens rush in to HELP .......................
Dont buy into to this clap trap that telling a cop to F off is resisting, its not.

25 years of my life I gave , I was shot, stabbed, and rolled a squad car at 100MPH. I have had my teeth knocked loose, I have scars you cant imagine, I have some bad times late at night when it is really still and I see the faces of many many a poor lost soul, especially the faces of the children. Some one has to cry for the children..........Is it you. No you dont see them.

Corny as it may sound I still believe in TRUTH-JUSTICE-AND THE AMERICAN WAY.........................that young man did NOTHING to deserve being tased, shot, arrested or hardly talked to beyond a scolding for doing young man stupid things.

I regret to say the badge of that which I dedicated MY life too is tarnished............

Old 01-09-2009, 08:34 PM

479 posts, read 661,138 times
Quote:
Folks, FOlks, FOlks, I have seen several postings now stating the guy was resisting the cop some how.

What that youngster was doing wasnt resisting arrest, I kno. I have had some serious knock down drag out fights with people.

I say again the young man WASNT resisting arrest, this is a good example of resisting arrest
Do you notice that no one is dead at the end and do you notice that solid citizens rush in to HELP .......................
Dont buy into to this clap trap that telling a cop to F off is resisting, its not.

25 years of my life I gave , I was shot, stabbed, and rolled a squad car at 100MPH. I have had my teeth knocked loose, I have scars you cant imagine, I have some bad times late at night when it is really still and I see the faces of many many a poor lost soul, especially the faces of the children. Some one has to cry for the children..........Is it you. No you dont see them.

Corny as it may sound I still believe in TRUTH-JUSTICE-AND THE AMERICAN WAY.........................that young man did NOTHING to deserve being tased, shot, arrested or hardly talked to beyond a scolding for doing young man stupid things.

I regret to say the badge of that which I dedicated MY life too is tarnished............
I remember when most cops were like this guy! What the heck happened!

Great post and "Thanks!" for your service!

Old 01-09-2009, 09:35 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,532,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgewalker View Post
I remember when most cops were like this guy! What the heck happened!

Great post and "Thanks!" for your service!
I second that!

Old 01-10-2009, 12:23 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,457,799 times
whatever the crowd was doing, and whatever crimes this guy was guilty of, his shooting seems for all intents and purposes to be 100% unjustified.

if i'd have shot someone in iraq for 'resisting' as this guy was, i'd be sitting in leavenworth right now and forever.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:39 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
The cops were originally called to break up a fight between that man and another... so they weren't exactly sitting peacefully, minding their own business at the station. Did you watch all of the videos? That still doesn't justify what this officer did, but you should get all of the facts before calling for a lynch mob. I think manslaughter or 2nd-degree murder would be appropriate - nothing more, since it was clearly not planned and possibly an accident. Instead of getting irrationally angry like the mobs in Oakland, let's try to keep some logic and sense involved in the discussion.
I agree with you.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:45 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,772,368 times
Quote:

You are not tarnished in any way. There are bad people in any profession including mine. When they are caught, I do not feel the need to transfer their shortcomings on to myself. Of course I don't deal with life and death either. It may have very well have been an accident but the cop needs to do some jail time for it. There was no need to pull out a taser or a gun- or even pepper spray. There were more than enough cops there to deal with it. And the female cop that tried to take away the video camera from the lady who taped it needs to be charged with obstruction of justice and she needs to do some jail time too.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:19 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
When a nation, such as ours, becomes aggressive by starting offensive wars, torturing, detaining people without cause, etc……, this attitude will eventually run downhill to citizens. We have been indoctrinated with fear and preemptive striking for the past eight years. This impulsive and senseless shooting is the fruit of what has been growing in America for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies