Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2009, 07:59 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I do not at all think this was justified but it is obvious that the man was resisting. I don't know why some people don't learn that, if the police tell you to do something, you must obey and do what the police tell you to do. If people did, less of them would get hurt or killed. You don't argue the policeman, call him names, fight with him or run from him. You do what he tells you to do and you will be fine.
The only thing he was resisting was his lack of oxygen from being held face down by a cop. There is nothing you can say to justify any of this. At least the killer resigned from the force. He is still stonewalling the local investigation however. I hope he gets convicted.

Do what he tells you to do and you will be fine? What fantasy did you get that one from? I am as afraid of the cops as I am of criminals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2009, 08:00 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Why are you so quick to jump on this cop? Experts have looked at it and it appears he thought he was drawing his taser....Hence he shot...when his partner was still stooping down next to the victim.

It makes no sense he would kill at the range. There was no need for it. It may very well be involuntary manslaughter not murder.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Unfortunately this is the breed of kids who are now coming of age.

The "you can't touch me!!" bunch.

Right up from elementary school, parents have coddled their kids and protected them from bullies. Protected them from teachers who scold them ("how DARE you scold my child!!"). Hell, protected them from germs.

Here's the batch that we've produced. Two types:

1. Crybabies who can't hack real life; they run to their lawyers if someone says something that offends them.

2. Thugs who believe that they're invincible and nobody can touch them. These same people turn around and injure, rob, rape, and shoot others at will.

This guy might have been doing nothing but would have done well to cooperate with the cops.

No, of COURSE it was wrong to shoot him (didn't see the video) obviously. But fact is, he'd be alive right now if he'd shown some damn diplomacy.

You didn't see the video. How the hell do you know what he was doing, why he was grabbed by the thug cops, or whether he was diplomatic or not? Show some damn common sense.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Why are you so quick to jump on this cop? Experts have looked at it and it appears he thought he was drawing his taser....Hence he shot...when his partner was still stooping down next to the victim.

It makes no sense he would kill at the range. There was no need for it. It may very well be manslaughter not murder.
He had no business using a taser either. The man did not resist at all. And the cops had no business grabbing him in the first place.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:03 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
Unfortunately this is the breed of kids who are now coming of age.

The "you can't touch me!!" bunch.

Right up from elementary school, parents have coddled their kids and protected them from bullies. Protected them from teachers who scold them ("how DARE you scold my child!!"). Hell, protected them from germs.

Here's the batch that we've produced. Two types:

1. Crybabies who can't hack real life; they run to their lawyers if someone says something that offends them.

2. Thugs who believe that they're invincible and nobody can touch them. These same people turn around and injure, rob, rape, and shoot others at will.

This guy might have been doing nothing but would have done well to cooperate with the cops.

No, of COURSE it was wrong to shoot him (didn't see the video) obviously. But fact is, he'd be alive right now if he'd shown some damn diplomacy.
This is what I have told my kids- when the policeman tells you to do something, do exactly what he tells you. Excersise your right to stay silent and wait for your day in court.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil's Dad View Post
He had no business using a taser either. The man did not resist at all. And the cops had no business grabbing him in the first place.

Yes that's true...I'd agree with that. So he could be guilty of both involuntary manslaughter and attempting to use his taser in an inappropriate situation.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
This is what I have told my kids- when the policeman tells you to do something, do exactly what he tells you. Excersise your right to stay silent and wait for your day in court.

I tell my kids that too.......but even that is not enough to assure their safety.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:07 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,766,887 times
Quote:
The only thing he was resisting was his lack of oxygen from being held face down by a cop. There is nothing you can say to justify any of this. At least the killer resigned from the force. He is still stonewalling the local investigation however. I hope he gets convicted.

Do what he tells you to do and you will be fine? What fantasy did you get that one from? I am as afraid of the cops as I am of criminals.
I am not trying to justify this. It was murder pure and simple and should be charged as such. There is no excuse for it. But I am trying to make the point that anytime you do not follow the orders of the police, you put yourself at risk of being hurt. It is no different than flashing a big wad of money in a dangerous neighbourhood late at night. Does that mean you deserve to be robbed? Of course not. But it is still stupid.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:11 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
Quote:
You didn't see the video. How the hell do you know what he was doing, why he was grabbed by the thug cops, or whether he was diplomatic or not? Show some damn common sense.
Several people have mentioned he was resisting.

I don't care why he was grabbed by the "thug cops".

Why so hostile? You seem to have an issue with law enforcement, and a resistance to the possibility that this person ultimately (albeit inadvertantly) caused his own death.

When the cops grab you, you can do one of two things:

1. Cooperate and if you've been wronged, demand justice
2. Resist and, maybe, die

Of course, things do happen and you may die either way. But it only makes sense to reduce that possibility.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:13 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,410,714 times
Quote:
...but even that is not enough to assure their safety.
Nothing is. You can only do your best to reduce risk.

Hey maybe from your perspective they should pack a weapon and kill any cop before the cop gets a chance to kill them. Teach 'em to be proactive, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies