Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2009, 07:01 PM

45,432 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
It's not tough to get into Ivy League schools when your father is the head of the CIA...and you don't flunk out when your father is senator.

If you mean GWB, he was at Harvard in 1973, Dad was CIA head 1/76 to 1/77 and he was never a Senator. So, who are you talking about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2009, 07:08 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If you mean GWB, he was at Harvard in 1973, Dad was CIA head 1/76 to 1/77 and he was never a Senator. So, who are you talking about?
Well, George Sr. was a US Representative from 1967-71, and a UN Ambassador from 1971-73... so it's not like his father was an unknown when GWB went to college. Do you honestly think he'd have gotten into Harvard without the Bush name? I know people who got rejected by Harvard with 4.0 GPAs and nearly perfect SATs - but they didn't have a daddy in Congress.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Well, George Sr. was a US Representative from 1967-71, and a UN Ambassador from 1971-73... so it's not like his father was an unknown when GWB went to college. Do you honestly think he'd have gotten into Harvard without the Bush name? I know people who got rejected by Harvard with 4.0 GPAs and nearly perfect SATs - but they didn't have a daddy in Congress.
No I don't know and neither, I suspect, do you. Just a sly try at bashing on your part. You didn't answer my question on who you were talking about.

Edward Kennedy to Harvard? No, his dad was an ambassador and a benefactor, never a Senator.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:21 PM

Quote:
No I don't know and neither, I suspect, do you. Just a sly try at bashing on your part. You didn't answer my question on who you were talking about.

Edward Kennedy to Harvard? No, his dad was an ambassador and a benefactor, never a Senator.
I'm not the one you were quoting... so there's nothing for me to answer, since I can't get inside the other poster's head. And for the record, I was not trying to "bash" you with that comment - I was being serious, and hoping (assuming) you agreed!

Old 01-14-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I'm not the one you were quoting... so there's nothing for me to answer, since I can't get inside the other poster's head. And for the record, I was not trying to "bash" you with that comment - I was being serious, and hoping (assuming) you agreed!

Sorry Gizmo, I didn't look at your name and thought it was LeftyDan who responded.

Old 01-14-2009, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Sorry Gizmo, I didn't look at your name and thought it was LeftyDan who responded.
No problemo. Best guess, he meant Congressman rather than Senator - not much of a difference when it comes to nepotism, LOL.

Last edited by gizmo980; 01-14-2009 at 08:03 PM..

Old 01-14-2009, 11:20 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times
Surprised at the nasty tone in so many posts on the forum entitled great debates. I thought we were to be above one upmanship and personal attacks on this forum.

Ann Coulter has very conservative views, yes. Her niche, IMO, is her delight at wording her views in ways that shake the political correctness that most political talk must now be cloaked in. She can come across as glib, but most times I see her on TV, she is talked down to by most of her interviewees. Go on You Tube and see some of the longer interviews. She holds her own and when given more than a few seconds to speak, she is very intelligent and well spoken.

She has made a name for herself by the shock value of the way she phrases things. I agree that this is part of her act. But she doesn't use this as an act the way a Howard Stern uses it, shock for shocks sake, but she backs up and believes the basic points she is making. Her assuredness in her points comes across as either cocky or glib. But when most of the media rails against her, I see it as her way of holding her own.

There is an interview on Hannity and Colmes where she is one of the people in a box commenting on a topic. That evening, Colmes was replaced by some lady (sorry I don't remember her name) who asked Coulter a very leading question and kept interrupting Ann before she had a chance to complete a phrase, much less a sentence. The only full sentence Coulter was able to complete was "you are doing a good imitation of Alan Colmes, except that Alan always gives me a chance to answer the question." The woman then started a diatribe and literally did not pause. Coulter got up and walked off the camera.

Her style and personality have led some of you to speak hateful things of her. I find her much more direct than I would ever be, say some things more pointedly than I would ever say, but I find that she does articulate my views most of the time. I wouldn't frame them in such a way, but then I don't want to go on national TV and be raked over the coals. Making a periodic venture onto this site or the political forum is enough for me.

Old 01-15-2009, 05:59 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
Her assuredness in her points comes across as either cocky or glib.
You see assuredness, but I see unnecessary cruelty in a silly comedy club act.

Coulter's Greatest Hits
My personal belief is that the one quality and/or ability we all should strive for is to make the world a better place than we find it.
I simply don't see this quality in Coulter.
Certainly she has counterparts on the left side of the political spectrum.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:20 AM

2,521 posts, read 2,351,048 times
Quote:
My bad, I meant Grandfather...Prescott Bush was the senator from the state in which Yale was located. Plus, Bush was a terrible student while at Andover too. He only got into Yale because he was a legacy and his grandfather was the senator of the state of Connecticut and his mother the granddaughter of president Pierce. Plus, his grades would not have gotten him into Harvard Business without Dad's help (he was not head of the CIA yet, but his career had already been quite accomplished by that point)...how did we even get to this point?

I thought we were talking about how evil Ann Coulter is and how she's not worth the energy it takes to film her. Regardless of whether you are a Democrat, Independent or Republican, you have to be disgusted by most of what she says. There's constructive criticisms, like: "Obama's big plans are just fanciful ideas and most of what he promised during the campaign will NOT happen because the financial situation of this country makes most of it impossible." And then there's Ann Coulter's way to criticize him: "b. Hussein Obama" by using his middle name to invoke hatred. See the difference? Coulter purposefully says the most offensive thing possible just to make people pay attention to her. If she actually believes what she says, she's evil...opinions like hers ARE evil and are filled with venomous hatred that has no place in a civilized society. If she doesn't believe in what she says, well then she's just a prostitute...doing something simply for the money while faking an enjoyment of it.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:27 AM

Yeah I thought this was a bash Coulter thread not a bash the Bushes thread.

Teddy Kennedy was a legacy, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies