Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2009, 07:32 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,867,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
I think it's unimportant whether or not Coulter believes her own blathering. She's a performer, playing to an audience that dotes on her every word. They believe it's genuine. And they genuinely hate their fellow Americans as much as Coulter would have them believe she does.

She's shamelessly tapped into this deep reservoir of ignorance and hostility to make a lucrative career out of verbalizing their animosity.
Coulter is angry, conservatives are angry, but reading what you say here, you are not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2009, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Ann Coulter is a very smart woman, an attorney, writer and political columnist and commentator. Her views, as you know, are decidedly conservative.

Ann does all her own research, and she does it well. She doesn't "spout"; she speaks, comments on, and confronts issues and political biases and hypocrisy, of which there is plenty to go around (primarily on the left, in my opinion, but Ann isn't afraid to take on her own Party either, and she has, on numerous occasions).

"[H]er kind of debate" as you put it, is what I call genuine debate. She nails things down, and gets to where the rubber meets the road. Most so-called "debate" I see on the news casts are shouting matches, where the leftists (typically, though not all on the "right" are immune), merely attempt to shout their opponent down, so that they cannot be heard; in essence, they try to simply "shut them up". This isn't debate. It's censorship.

Have you ever read one of Ann Coulters books? I have only one of her books, "Slander", and I still have not read it cover to cover (I admit, I'm not one to sit down and spend hours reading...I get fidgety, and I have to get up and move and "do things"), but I can tell you this: Ann is right on target, she does her research well, and documents everything she says and gives the reader the sources.

I also read her columns (I do miss some...if the subject doesn't interest me, I skip it).

It seems to me that we have come to a place in our history (sadly), that only one view is acceptable: the "liberal" view. All else is "hate speech". The conservative opinion is pase, and considered stupid, ignorant, and it is to be silenced.

Too bad. Our founders wrote many opinions that were in line with the opinions of people like Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh and other conservative voices. Today, they would also be called "idiots".

How sad for America. Our country is in the hands of people who have no clue what America is all about.

Excellent post nononesenseguy! Many reps!

Last edited by Saintmarks; 01-16-2009 at 07:45 PM..

Old 01-16-2009, 07:37 PM

82 posts, read 199,412 times
All debate is useful whether you agree with it or not. When liberals vehemently rail against Pastor Rick Warren and his opinions of gay marriage it is called Freedom of Speech and when conservatives point out the duplicity in liberal lunacy they call it hate speech; what a country!

Old 01-16-2009, 07:44 PM

30,360 posts, read 51,964,073 times
Oh please everyone... this is not a liberal vs. conservative issue, especially when you consider how many CONSERVATIVES can't stand the wench. Hate speech is usually pretty obvious, and most of us (liberal or conservative) are capable of seeing the difference. I have a few books by Bill O'Reilly and other conservative authors at my library, and they don't offend me in the slightest... I perused Ann Coulter's book to decide whether or not to order a copy, and all I could see was hateful drivel. So if you can't tell the difference between constructive controversy and hate speech, that is your issue - not the liberals.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:48 PM

So tired of the term "hate speech." Totally overused. If you don't agree with another's agenda, it is "hate."

Where is the place to debate and disagree. Accusing someone of Hate speech is nothing more than a PC trump card.

Old 01-16-2009, 07:56 PM

Here is just a sampling of her quotes... and if you can't see how these are hateful and completely nonconstructive, I am worried for our nation. Do people really take her seriously?? REALLY????

"I've decided to cut out the part of the speech where I say anything nice about Democrats."

"If John Kerry had a dollar for every time he bragged about serving in Vietnam - oh wait, he does."

"If we're so cruel to minorities, why do they keep coming here? Why aren't they sneaking across the Mexican border to make their way to the Taliban?"

"Liberal soccer moms are precisely as likely to receive anthrax in the mail as to develop a capacity for linear thinking."

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."

"Whether they are defending the Soviet Union or bleating for Saddam Hussein, liberals are always against America. They are either traitors or idiots, and on the matter of America's self-preservation, the difference is irrelevant."

"If I'm going to say anything about John Edwards in the future, I'll just wish he had been killed in a terrorist assassination plot."

"We just want Jews to be perfected, as they say."

"If we took away women's right to vote, we'd never have to worry about another Democrat president. It's kind of a pipe dream, it's a personal fantasy of mine, but I don't think it's going to happen. And it is a good way of making the point that women are voting so stupidly, at least single women."

"I was going to have a few comments about John Edwards but you have to go into rehab if you use the word f-ggot."

"These broads are millionaires, lionized on TV and in articles about them, reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by griefparrazies. I have never seen people enjoying their husband's deaths so much." (on 9/11 widows who have been critical of the Bush administration)

"There are a lot of bad republicans; there are no good democrats."

"My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building."

Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
So tired of the term "hate speech." Totally overused. If you don't agree with another's agenda, it is "hate."

Where is the place to debate and disagree. Accusing someone of Hate speech is nothing more than a PC trump card.
Not if it's true... read the quotes I just posted, and tell me those are hateful. "Hate speech" the phrase might be overused, but you are delusional if you think Coulter isn't spewing hateful rhetoric. She has every right to do so, but don't argue with us for calling her out on it!

Old 01-16-2009, 08:04 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,571,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
Ann Coulter shocks a lot of people because she is very pretty - when Margaret Mitchell, Margaret Mead, or the female PM of Great Britian were outspoken, many chalked it up to their being ugly and embittered women.
She is NOT pretty. She kind of looks like a transvestite to me. And please don't give me the "your jealous" nonsense. I believe a lot of men on both sides of the ideological fence agree with me.

Old 01-16-2009, 08:19 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,484,309 times
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo980
Here is just a sampling of her quotes... and if you can't see how these are hateful and completely nonconstructive, I am worried for our nation. Do people really take her seriously?? REALLY????

"I've decided to cut out the part of the speech where I say anything nice about Democrats."

"If John Kerry had a dollar for every time he bragged about serving in Vietnam - oh wait, he does."

"If we're so cruel to minorities, why do they keep coming here? Why aren't they sneaking across the Mexican border to make their way to the Taliban?"

"Liberal soccer moms are precisely as likely to receive anthrax in the mail as to develop a capacity for linear thinking."

"We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity."

"Whether they are defending the Soviet Union or bleating for Saddam Hussein, liberals are always against America. They are either traitors or idiots, and on the matter of America's self-preservation, the difference is irrelevant."

"If I'm going to say anything about John Edwards in the future, I'll just wish he had been killed in a terrorist assassination plot."

"We just want Jews to be perfected, as they say."

"If we took away women's right to vote, we'd never have to worry about another Democrat president. It's kind of a pipe dream, it's a personal fantasy of mine, but I don't think it's going to happen. And it is a good way of making the point that women are voting so stupidly, at least single women."

"I was going to have a few comments about John Edwards but you have to go into rehab if you use the word f-ggot."

"These broads are millionaires, lionized on TV and in articles about them, reveling in their status as celebrities and stalked by griefparrazies. I have never seen people enjoying their husband's deaths so much." (on 9/11 widows who have been critical of the Bush administration)

"There are a lot of bad republicans; there are no good democrats."

"My only regret with Timothy McVeigh is he did not go to the New York Times Building."
OMG!!!!!!:smack :

Old 01-16-2009, 08:19 PM

602 posts, read 1,963,402 times
I'm no doubt the eighty-billionth person to state this, but I adore Ann Coulter precisely because she infuriates all the right people. Her remarks are no more vitriolic or hateful than those of Natalie Maines, Whoopi Goldberg, Joy Behar, and the list goes on (and on and on and ON...). It's a free-market economy, folks (for a few more days, at least). If you don't want to hear her, change channels or stations. If you don't want to read her books or columns, don't. How she states her case is not nearly as important as the case itself.

Her looks are also not germane to the discussion, by the way. I mean, bring them up if you must, but they're irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies