Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2009, 12:23 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,261,360 times

Advertisements

St Vincent de Paul: Charity Hospital, Health Charities
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2009, 12:24 PM

St. Jude Children's Research Hospital

Old 03-22-2009, 12:43 PM

23,173 posts, read 26,197,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TristansMommy View Post
Many people do just that. I would too if I had cancer.

But the cost of cancer treatments far outpace the value of things that they have to sell. I wonder how far in hock your friend is. Surely, when she's through with the fight of her life for her life ,she'll end up declaring bankruptcy to keep the bill collectors off her back.

The links I provide have several stories like yours.. of people who have lost jobs, etc.. and after their treatment is done have wracked up 100's of thousands in medical bills they could never pay.

Guess what happens.. so.. I guess we DO have free healthcare via bankruptcy in this country.

I'd sell everything I owned to fight cancer if I had to and live in a cardboard box (or my car).. but isn't it a sad statement that someone going through something like cancer would have to resort to that!!
My friend is making payments on about $30,000 (Amassed over a 7 year period).
TM.....she won't go on disability....what makes you think she'd declare bankruptsy?
When she's through? If she doesn't go into remission she'll survive only by continuing these weekly treatments.
Is it sad? Yeah...it's sad that a young lady has luekemia.
But, this is her life and she is the most upbeat funny person you'd ever meet. It is what it is.
Volunteers with a group of kids she got together from those she meets at chemo
She's an inspiration.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:51 PM

What so many don't understand is personal pride.
This young lady takes an immense amount of pride in the fact that she has managed to take care of herself.
For her that is accomplishment. It gives her great satisfaction to accomplish what others (like you) see as an impossible task.
There's nothing sad about that.

Old 03-22-2009, 12:58 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
If you or your loved one is unable to see a physician due to the cost of care, there may be a local community health clinic in your area. These clinics generally are free to patients or require a very small fee. Find a clinic in your area.

Health Insurance Options for the Uninsured - Advocacy & Legal Resources - American Diabetes Association (http://www.diabetes.org/advocacy-and-legalresources/healthcare/healthinsurance/uninsured.jsp - broken link)

Please note the source of the link
Thanks for all of these links. Although I still have my Cobra coverage, it's good to know that these clinics are available to me if I ever lose my coverage

Old 03-22-2009, 01:13 PM

Shriners Hospitals for Children - Official Website of Shriners Hospitals for Children

Old 03-22-2009, 01:24 PM

I hate to be the one to mention this Greatday, but in the middle of a thread arguing against government provided care, the clinic links you offered mention that they are income-based affordable because they are federally funded.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I hate to be the one to mention this Greatday, but in the middle of a thread arguing against government provided care, the clinic links you offered mention that they are income-based affordable because they are federally funded.
No - that's ok. There are the free - and the income based. But, unlike our State program here that sets a max income for an individual at 9K a year to get the equivilent of Medicaid, the clinics do take people with a much higher family income - one of them is up to, I think 50 K a year.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:29 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
^^^I would add, even the privately run clinics probably receive federal funds. And those that take higher incomes also charge a sliding scale fee, which as one father told me once, is as high as what a pvt doctor charges at the top of their fee scale.

I agree, some of these sob stories don't hold water. There are resources for people. But all of this free care just costs the rest of us more, in the form of higher insurance premiums, as someone has to pick up the cost. And, there has been plenty of research to document that the uninsured seek care later, when their diseases are at a more advanced stage, and cost more to treat.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:50 PM

Let's remember this: Even under the Obama proposals, not everyone will be covered. He has acknowledged this fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies