Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2009, 06:18 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,613,866 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Actually all states have a right to maintain a state defense force for security within the state (a.k.a., a militia, seperate from the National Guard, not under federal control). The states can protect their own borders...
Hey, if you live in a little state like Vermont. But the border is well beyond what state resources can contain. Should Vermont be responsible for an onslaught of Canadian immigrates if that were to occur? The federal government is responsible for the security of the nation not the individual states
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2009, 06:20 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
Hey, if you live in a little state like Vermont. But the border is well beyond what state resources can contain. Should Vermont be responsible for an onslaught of Canadian immigrates if that were to occur? The federal government is responsible for the security of the nation not the individual states
a) The vermont National Guard is available for duty at the request of VT Governor

b) An invasion from the Canadian border has not been any sort of a problem. If it were to become one, put US forces on the border.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:20 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
If CA spent everything they've handed out to illegals it'd probably go a long way in securing the border. CA is incredibly wasteful with its spending too. So many unnecessary projects and programs the government spends money on...

The states share some responsibility in defense within their borders anyways. Yes the feds should do their job but they aren't. So, what do you do? Make an effort to secure your own borders, or give handouts to the illegals? CA chose handouts...enticing more to come.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:24 PM

4,459 posts, read 4,211,513 times
I'm tired of the ongoing mindless comments from southern states. Want to secede, go right ahead. Frankly, this country should have welcomed it in the 1860s. Let's not make the same mistake twice...

Old 04-16-2009, 06:26 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,681 times
1860's? you mean when lincoln murdered 660,000 americans on american soil? isn't that who obama compares himself to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
I'm tired of the ongoing mindless comments from southern states. Want to secede, go right ahead. Frankly, this country should have welcomed it in the 1860s. Let's not make the same mistake twice...

Old 04-16-2009, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
1860's? you mean when lincoln murdered 660,000 americans on american soil? isn't that who obama compares himself to?
That's blasphemy, bud!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:36 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
what? there was a domestic war that killed 660,000 americans on his watch. I am not making this up.

Quote:
That's blasphemy, bud!

Old 04-16-2009, 06:37 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
Quote:
what? there was a domestic war that killed 660,000 americans on his watch. I am not making this up.
And that's just the Americans. There's also the Indians, Lincoln wasn't too nice to them either...

Old 04-16-2009, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Your deep Southern roots are showing [just like the few hairs on your head]. Confederate flag waving over your house & hillbilly tunes you dance to each night.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:44 PM

my grandfather is from sicily, and I was born in detroit. deep southern roots indeed. I am also dancing to the grouch right now, but I am assuming you know nothing about rap music.

Quote:
Your deep Southern roots are showing [just like the few hairs on your head]. Confederate flag waving over your house & hillbilly tunes you dance to each night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies