Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 03:44 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
My city has two major auto plants (Ford & GM). Job losses or plant closures greatly affect the community as a whole. Unlike some, I can see the forest through the partisan trees. YMMV.
Oh, and I own a 2008 Ford hybrid assembled right in my hometown. I support my community's auto industry by voting with my wallet in my purchases, do you?
The fact is that the hybrid or electric will not do the same work and go the same places that the F-250, or larger, must do and needs to go. People should have a choice, not have to live with a government mandate.
I'm thinking there will always be a need for heavy and light trucks. Industry will demand them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 07:21 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,024,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
The central planners strike again!

Liberals hate the car and the freedom of travel it allows for, and want everyone on the bus or train to get to their government job.
the good of the collective and all that
I hope you are joking

This is quite possibly the dumbest thing I have ever read on this site.

Wanting citizens to be able to drive cars further without stopping for expensive gas, which in turn should lower the demand for oil means

"liberals hate the car ...and want everyone on the bus or train to get to their government job."

I mean really..Are you Serious?

Old 07-29-2011, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I hope you are joking
Wanting citizens to be able to drive cars further without stopping for expensive gas, which in turn should lower the demand for oil means
"liberals hate the car ...and want everyone on the bus or train to get to their government job."
Don't let these types get to you. No, they're not serious (I think they're just lonely).

Old 07-29-2011, 11:00 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
Another dumb, job-killing piece of legislation from the best President ever at issuing them.

Prices for new cars are going to explode if this becomes law., while Americans will NEVER buy hybrid/electric cars in sufficient volumes for them to ever make sense.

Another bailout somewhere down the road is a mortal lock.

Old 07-29-2011, 11:07 PM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
I hope you are joking

Yeah there was a touch of sarcasm in my post.
What makes you think the federal government has the knowledge or the authority to dictate the fuel economy of vehicles?

Old 07-30-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Yeah there was a touch of sarcasm in my post.
What makes you think the federal government has the knowledge or the authority to dictate the fuel economy of vehicles?
The same authority that says people like you, for instance, can't just do as they please. Check the Constitution. The general welfare of the country is more important than what you want.
Govt says you can't pollute the environment for instance, despite the fact that pollution allows you to profit. There is a common good above what you may want for yourself.
I know - it just ain't right...

Old 07-30-2011, 08:10 AM

8,418 posts, read 7,417,538 times
The funny thing about the new Corporate Average Fuel Economy standards is that most of the automotive manufacturers support the new standards. This list includes General Motors, Ford, Chrysler, Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Kia, Hyundai, Fiat, BMW, and Volvo.

The only automaker who came out against the standards was Volkswagen. Their complaint is that the new standards are skewed towards lower CAFE standards for light trucks and higher standards for cars; Volkswagen doesn't sell light trucks in North America.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:21 AM

18,161 posts, read 15,635,416 times
Quote:
Yep, no commonsense fuel standards. No considerations for individual liberty and choice. Obama will roll out his new federal fuel standards guaranteed to kill jobs and greatly damage the automotive industry and support industries. Basically it is an "electric car" mandate.

Obama to announce new fuel standards - The Hill's E2-Wire

Obama's Fuel Economy Standards Threaten the Economy - Peter Roff (usnews.com)
Heard a bit about this yesterday. Hmmmm all cars will be required to pull down 55 mpg. Lmao ....yea, so since Obama and his pals managed to drive fuel up around 4 clams a gallon and it would appear that's here to stay....they are gonna ease our pain at the pump by passing huge costs and stupid standards onto auto makers. Uh huh....I'm m sure these new cars will be affordable for us as well.

Hell , it doesn't take vast resources to build a ride that'll do this ...do it? And all of us out here that can't afford a new car? Maybe things are tight on money( naahh...we are all thriving in this economy) or credit has been hit hard because times got bad and bills fell behind.
Since we have to hang on to our older less efficient machines we must be punished. Im sure there's a tax or penalty fee in the works for non compliance with the new standards. Unless of course youapply for an.exemption under some arbitrary federal guidelines ....and pay the fee for it , gotta get those fees.
If the ramifications of this type of nonsense doesn't spook you, then leftist brainwashing has erased all analytical thought from your.mind. lol....let the shrill denials and squalling begin.
Yea.....I'm just getting all warm and fuzzy over the US leading the charge into a greener future while punishing the evil oil companies in the process. I ain't no fan of the way big oil runs, in a lot of ways.....but I am less of a fan of government dictating private industry and strangling our free market system.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:32 AM

45,231 posts, read 26,450,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
The same authority that says people like you, for instance, can't just do as they please. Check the Constitution. The general welfare of the country is more important than what you want.
Govt says you can't pollute the environment for instance, despite the fact that pollution allows you to profit. There is a common good above what you may want for yourself.
I know - it just ain't right...
Your silly diatribe aside, I don't advocate for any action that harms others, (i.e. the environment).

I also don't buy into the Marxist notion that " the general welfare" gives the incompetent central planners an excuse to get into into every aspect of our lives and those of private industry.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:41 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Yep, no commonsense fuel standards. No considerations for individual liberty and choice. Obama will roll out his new federal fuel standards guaranteed to kill jobs and greatly damage the automotive industry and support industries. Basically it is an "electric car" mandate.

Obama to announce new fuel standards - The Hill's E2-Wire

Obama's Fuel Economy Standards Threaten the Economy - Peter Roff (usnews.com)
Once again you are so blinded by your hatred of all things Obama you've totally distorted what is really going on.

Automakers Agree to Double Fuel Economy in U.S. Cars to 54.5 MPG by 2025

Quote:
Automakers agreed to double the fuel economy of the vehicles they sell in the U.S. to a fleetwide average of 54.5 miles per gallon by 2025, President Barack Obama said.

The White House negotiated the proposal, which will take effect in 2017, with automakers including General Motors Co. (GM), Ford Motor Co. (F) and Toyota Motor Corp. (7203) The administration proposed a 56.2 mpg requirement last month, up from a fleetwide average of 27 mpg today for cars and light trucks.

“This agreement on fuel standards represents the single most important step we’ve ever taken to reduce our dependence on foreign oil,” Obama said today at an event in Washington with auto executives.

Obama is seeking to limit the amount of fuel used by U.S. vehicles as part of a pledge to reduce oil imports by a third by 2025. The agreement with automakers, which also curbs greenhouse-gas emissions, comes as his administration negotiates with Congress on raising the U.S. debt ceiling to avoid default.

Obama used the event to promote his energy priorities and to highlight some of the issues being weighed in the standoff over raising the federal debt ceiling.
Do you have the intelligence to realize that this was an AGREEMENT that was negotiated between the Obama administration and the auto industry?

Do you know what the word NEGOTIATION means? It means two or more groups sit down and present their desired goals and then a COMPROMISE is reached.

I realize that as a Conservative that words like AGREEMENT, NEGOTIATION, AND COMPROMISE may be totally alien concepts to you.

Do you also realize that inceasing fuel economy standard will produce vehicles that are LESS DEPENDENT of fossil fuel, LESS EXPENSIVE TO OWN and will advance automotive technology?

It amazing how you continue to insult your own intelligence with YOUR HATRED.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies