Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 01:11 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
poor mr. avocado. is that all you got? a little white flag and a tired slogan?

i don't drive a car to impress anyone, and i certainly would never waste my money on a mercedes.
Excuse me? The argument is either cars can't be made more efficient or one is relegated to the Smart Car. I present that using current technology one can have a high performance luxury sedan that exceeds the standards as set by the administration and the best you can come up with is some third grade attempt to use my user name as an insult.

Weak, my friend, but not surprising.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 01:13 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Awesomo.2000 View Post
can you please provide evidence that lighter cars produce more deaths.
Crash death rates show progress in auto safety - CNN.com
Crash death rates show progress in auto safety

SUVs, in particular, now much safer with addition of stability control.

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com staff writer
POSTED: 9:54 a.m. EDT, April 20, 2007

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- New statistics released Thursday by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety show that, overall, driving has gotten much safer in the last 11 years.

During the years 2002 to 2005, there were 79 driver deaths per million registered 2001-2004 model year vehicles, according to the Institute. By contrast, during the years 1990 to 1994, there were 110 deaths per million 1989 to 1993 model year vehicles on the road then. That represents a 30 percent reduction in the overall death rate.

Most of that difference can be attributed to safer vehicle designs and to the addition of Electronic Stability Control on more vehicles, especially SUVs, according to the Institute.

The vehicles with the lowest death rates were the General Motors' Chevrolet Astro van, the Infiniti G35 sedan, the BMW 7-series sedan and the Audi A4/S4 Quattro. The Astro, a full-sized van, had a death rate of 7 per million. The Audi A4/S4 had 14 deaths per million registered cars.

The vehicles with the highest fatality rates were 2-door, 2-wheel-drive versions of the Chevrolet Blazer small SUV, the Acura RSX small car, the Nissan 350Z sports car, the Kia Spectra compact car, the Pontiac Sunfire compact car and the Kia Rio subcompact car. Death rates for those cars ranged from 232 per million for the Blazer to 175 for the Rio.

Death rates are computed based on data from the Federal Government's Fatality Analysis Reporting System and vehicle registration data from The Polk Company.

Overall, midsize and large luxury cars have the lowest death rates, according to the Institute, while small 4-door cars have the highest death rates. Of the 15 vehicles with the lowest death rates, none were small cars.

Quote:
I always thought some of the cars that were the safest were also the most fuel efficient.
Did somebody mention "ignoring all logic so you can take a swipe at the opponent"?

And whine about "Making up batsh()t crazy stuff like more people are going to die"?

Don't you ever get tired of making a complete fool of yourself?

Back to the subject:
Is President Obama making a good decision, requiring smaller, lighter cars to save oil, and accepting the increase in injuries and deaths that those smaller, lighter cars will produce?

Old 05-19-2009, 02:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
"the Chevrolet Blazer small SUV,"

Now that was funny. Curb weight for the Blazer is 4,000 lbs.

"Acura RSX small car, the Nissan 350Z sports car,"

Couldn't possibly be as a result of who drives them?

Anyway, another list, a bit different outcome.

In Pictures: Top 20 Most Dangerous Vehicles - Forbes.com

Old 05-19-2009, 02:38 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,529,993 times
The OP is amusing.

I'm betting he's of the ilk that claims "Guns don't kill people. People kill people," but when it comes to cars, they suddenly become sentient objects of destruction, irrespective of those behind the wheel.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:45 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As some of my favorite philosophers have said:

You can't always get what you want

But if you try some time

You might find

You get what you NEED
You can always count on stoned people to count on the government.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:46 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,787,000 times
Sounds like the leftists can't refute the point of the thread any more. They're starting to attack the messenger instead. No surprise......

Old 05-19-2009, 02:46 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,068,891 times
I wonder how many of the Concern Trolls posting about the safety of small cars drive pickups, which are by far the least safe vehicle.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:48 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvxplorer View Post
The OP is amusing.

I'm betting he's of the ilk that claims "Guns don't kill people. People kill people," but when it comes to cars, they suddenly become sentient objects of destruction, irrespective of those behind the wheel.
No, in this line of thinking, he is buying the safest gun he can afford, and not blaming anybody. And simply wishing nanny out of the mix.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:50 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,445,226 times
Default Obama to mandate higher gas mileage standards

This move is way past due.

Good job, Obama!

Old 05-19-2009, 02:53 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
Car engines and transmissions are already about as efficient as they can get, for running on gasoline. So, the only way you can increase the gas mileage of cars, is by using hybrid technology (doubling the price of cars), different fuels (which Barry isn't doing here)...

Obama to Detail New Car Fuel Standards Tuesday, Reports Say
Because this is America I think we should lower the standards, such as making the minimum for any car (or truck) at 10 MPG.
Another good thing would also be to ban all imported cars. That way the US auto industry can do whatever they want, including deciding the fuel efficiency (or inefficiency, if they so choose).
I think that all those conservatives who are dead set against everything that Obama says and does should drive big HP V-8s just out of defiance.
Speaking of SUV safety, I think they should be available with twin rear axles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies