Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:17 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
How do you not get this? That example isn't what I'm talking about. That's private prayer. She wasn't leading you in prayer whether you wanted to be led or not. She was requiring you to listen to her prayers before you went back to work. She wasn't imposing her religion on you, she was simply praying privately while you were in the same room.
She was not quietly praying to Allah so I was forced to hear her prayers. Regarding public prayers, just don't participate. That's what I did while in Catholic school as I wasn't a Catholic and was uncomfortable with praying to Mary and other saints. I just sat respectfully while the rest of the class did their prayers. You can take that strategy and allow others their freedom to pray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2009, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Corinthians127 View Post
Crusades - Was not really a Christian war. Christianity to many kings and leaders were a way to unite the people. The crusades used religion as an excuse to expand their empires. Many things are used to unite people. Currently the "hot" way to unite people for wars is "Freedom and Democracy."

Salem witch trials - How many died? About 15. Yup, about 15. This was not a worldwide or even nationwide event. It was 3 small counties. The salem witch trials are a fine definition of exageration.

Athiests have started more wars and killed more people than any religion.
Exactly! The athiests are not as innocent as everyone portrays them to be.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:19 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Because we look at what happens to Christians in the rest of the world and we see the west becoming more and more like said countries. Not to long ago the US Military burned a bunch of Bibles so they wouldn't offend Muslims.
Um no, that's because those bibles, which were not in English, were going to be used to prostelitize, which isn't allowed.

Quote:
We see athiest groups putting their hate on busses and signs attacking our God,
Many Christians tell athiests that they are going to burn in hell, so there's going to be anger, not that I'm excusing actions such as the bus incidents.

Quote:
they are trying to take out "UNder God" from our pledge of allegiance and money.
It was only added in 1954. And in 2004 the Supreme Court UNANIMOUSLY supported keeping "under God" in.
Justices Keep 'Under God' in Pledge (washingtonpost.com)

Quote:
Athiests are trying to ban Crosses from military graves.
Issues have been rightfully raised about crosses being used de facto for those who are atheists and non-Christian.

And given the dominance of Christianity in the military, your fears are pretty baseless.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:24 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
She was not quietly praying to Allah so I was forced to hear her prayers. Regarding public prayers, just don't participate. That's what I did while in Catholic school as I wasn't a Catholic and was uncomfortable with praying to Mary and other saints. I just sat respectfully while the rest of the class did their prayers. You can take that strategy and allow others their freedom to pray.
I'm not complaining about have to hear people's private prayers. I complaining about organizations opening all functions with prayers on the assumption that everyone is Christian and the others don't matter. And I'm not complaining about going to a religious service and having to listen to prayers.

Your whole attitude that I should just not participate in public prayer is a perfect example of why people are pushing back against some Christians.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:27 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
Quote:
Athiests have started more wars and killed more people than any religion.
And just who might they be?

8,299 posts, read 8,610,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveNascar View Post
just look around stupid.
Is this Christian behavior?

9,891 posts, read 10,828,106 times
Quote:
But don't you understand that this is perceived by non-Christians as you imposing your beliefs on us? You can pray and ask for blessings on the events and those attending, if you wish. But it doesn't have to be public. It's your thing, not ours.
Your perception is just that and it is wrong, Prayer is a good thing, if a doctor just told you, you have a terminal illness and there is nothing they can do to keep you from dying and I came along and asked you if I could pray for you, would you say NO!! dont try to impose your beliefs on me , go away and let me die?

Old 05-24-2009, 09:28 PM

142 posts, read 222,057 times
Quote:
Um no, that's because those bibles, which were not in English, were going to be used to prostelitize, which isn't allowed.
A Bible is a Bible no matter the language. They could have been sent back to the United States.

Quote:
Many Christians tell athiests that they are going to burn in hell, so there's going to be anger, not that I'm excusing actions such as the bus incidents.
Please point out where Christians are attacking athiests beliefs in public? When a Christian says one is going to hell it is usually always in private. Usually among other Christians.

Quote:
It was only added in 1954. And in 2004 the Supreme Court UNANIMOUSLY supported keeping "under God" in.
Justices Keep 'Under God' in Pledge (washingtonpost.com)
I do not see what is so bad about this, if you do not want to say "Under God" then don't.

Quote:
Issues have been rightfully raised about crosses being used de facto, even for those who are atheists and non-Christian.
I agree. Those that do not wish to have a Cross should not be forced to have one. But in many cases they are not forced to have one. There are many Jewish graves without a Cross. There are also, I'm sure, athiest graves without any marking... Lets not forget, A cross was not always a Christian symbol.

Quote:
And given the dominance of Christianity in the military, your fears are pretty baseless.
Yes a lot of soldiers are Christian but they do not make the desicions obviously. If they did I doubt those Bibles would have been burned.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by helenejen View Post
Is this Christian behavior?
He/she is a troll who is misrepresenting Christianity. Don't feed this troll.

Old 05-24-2009, 09:33 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,629,899 times
Quote:
Yeah, I'm just suppose to quietly let you force your religion on me and be grateful you don't throw me in jail. And if I object, I have a martyr complex. You people really don't get how obnoxious you are, do you?
We are speaking of what has been traditional for a couple of centuries, and in the last 30 years, you loudmouths want to suddenly call us obnoxious? Quite a twisting of the truth on your part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies