Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you approve or disapprove of homosexual marriages?
Strongly Approve 53 36.81%
Approve 24 16.67%
Somewhat Approve 2 1.39%
Mixed 3 2.08%
Somewhat Disapprove 2 1.39%
Disapprove 11 7.64%
Strongly Disapprove 43 29.86%
Don't Know/Unsure 2 1.39%
No Opinion 4 2.78%
Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2009, 12:32 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,393,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
My views are well established on other threads about this subject.

I'll just reserve my comments because I have aired them already.

I voted. Guess for which option.
You've seen the light and voted for "strongly approve"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2009, 01:06 AM

1,577 posts, read 1,957,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
You've seen the light and voted for "strongly approve"?
LOL - and it'll start snowing in Sydney tomorrow

Old 05-29-2009, 01:31 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,921,371 times
approve! bring on marriage equality!

Old 05-29-2009, 07:35 AM

3,849 posts, read 3,754,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheContent View Post
I honestly don't care anymore.

This thread will be the last time I even post about the issue, because I really don't care anymore.

I'm not personally in favor of gay marriage. What I am in favor of is the peoples' right to assemble

If you're in favor of gay marriage and you want to assemble and make your views known, I will not stand with you, but I support your right to a peaceful protest.

I know that gets off of the topic, but I have a reason for saying it here.

The fact is, some of us are just starting to not care. That's not good for your cause. Instead of stating your case in one central location, you're spreading your views all over the place. Shoving it down peoples' throats is going to do the exact opposite of what you thought it would do. People are getting bored, and you're dangerously close to becoming irrelevant. I know that's not what you want.

Good luck with your quest, but try to remember that sometimes less is more.
Did someone force you to open this thread and read it? Does someone force you to open any thread with a topic you don't want to read about? I automatically read these threads on same sex marriage and homosexuality in general because I want to read the stupid arguments against it so I can develop some sort of intelligent counter argument. No, I'm not homosexual, but the stupidity I see in most of the arguments against it make me wonder sometimes about education in this country.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Haven't we done this topic to death on CD.
This topic will continue to 'push people's buttons' until there is marriage equality in every state in this country and gays and lesbians receive the same benefits of marriage from the federal government. You want the topic to 'disappear'? Then either stop fighting against equality or help fight for it. Once it becomes a fact across the county, you will likely never read another word about it.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorasbox View Post
ANYONE SHOULD BE ABLE TO SCREW UP THEIR LIFE! I just don't see how this effects my life. But in order for the straight to accept the gay view they need to accept ours. It turns me against the gay marriage when they attack people who don't agree with them. As they want their voices to be heard but turn a deaf ear to everyone who has a different opinion.
I don't see that at all. What I see are people who get tired of being called 'deviant' or compared with pedophiles or told they're 'going to hell' or they're 'bringing damnation' on the country. If someone were saying these things to you, about you, wouldn't you be trying to drown them out by proclaiming as loudly as you can that you are none of those things? I know that I would.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:54 AM

2,500 posts, read 2,930,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMcQ LV View Post
Did someone force you to open this thread and read it? Does someone force you to open any thread with a topic you don't want to read about? I automatically read these threads on same sex marriage and homosexuality in general because I want to read the stupid arguments against it so I can develop some sort of intelligent counter argument. No, I'm not homosexual, but the stupidity I see in most of the arguments against it make me wonder sometimes about education in this country.
I will read and respond to any thread that I want. I think I've made some very good and valid points here, and I am not alone in that thought. I have gotten some nice feedback from the people who disagree with me the most. That makes me very happy, because it reminds me that even when people like you bring down the quality of this forum, there are still plenty of good people who can agree to disagree without having to use words like "stupidity" or question the education of those who disagree.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:58 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,172,024 times
strongly approve

Old 05-29-2009, 08:06 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,057,694 times
Quote:
MLK never did make his views on homosexuality public. You won't ever know how he felt about the issue. But the views of a close relative were made known about a decade ago:

Staff Writer ©Copyright 1998 Guy Gannett Communications

AUGUSTA - A niece of Martin Luther King Jr. got about 300 people down on their knees in the state capitol Thursday to pray that homosexuals would "turn from their wicked ways" and seek Jesus Christ.

"God hates racism and God hates homosexuality," Alveda King told the group in a speech after leading them in prayer.

King tours the country speaking out against civil-rights legislation for gay men and lesbians. She was in Maine to speak about next Tuesday's referendum on the state's new law.

The ballot question will ask voters whether they want to repeal the law passed by the Legislature last spring to prohibit discrimination against gay people.
King, who says gay people have never suffered the discrimination that black Americans have, was the featured speaker for what became the biggest event to date for the "vote-yes" campaign.
Another person close to MLK had the following to say about gay marriage:

"Gay and lesbian people have families, and their families should have legal protection, whether by marriage or civil union," she said. "A constitutional amendment banning same-sex marriages is a form of gay bashing and it would do nothing at all to protect traditional marriages."

Coretta Scott King give her support to gay marriage

Of course this does not prove anything...we still don't know if MLK had strong views on homosexuality...but if he did, I suspect his wife knew more about his views than a niece...

Old 05-29-2009, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I understand that, but they weren't really taking something away. That makes a big difference. They were "eliminating" something that wasn't there in the first place. I'm really not disagreeing with you, but it does change things. They weren't taking something away as much as they were keeping something away from people. And the reason they were able to keep it away was because others who came before them kept it away first. If there is blame to go around, it has to go in many more directions than it is going in at the present time. That's all I'm saying.
Actually, in California before Prop 8, that right WAS there. Same-sex marriage was in place for five months before they voted to take it away. And, in that five months, thousands of same sex couples DID marry. And what happens to those marriages? Are they made invalid by passage of that proposition? Are they still legally recognized by the state? After all, they were legal at the time they happened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies