Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:04 PM

2,404 posts, read 3,949,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
If Ahmadinejad is declared the victor, we very well may see a revolution begin in Iran. ...it most certainly means something and the repercussions might be more than folks expected.
I was going to post but didnt post the post which would have been the rebuttal.

I hope you are right about a revolution HillTopper. But to summarize what I was going to say: I simply do not think the reformers have the available process/ability/muscle to remove the mullahs, the secret & religious police, and the honor killing super conservative muslims who the gov't empowers and protects. There is a huge push back against the government, agreed, but I do not think the reformers can pull it off. God bless.

It's very likely the reformers lost and very unlikely prolonged popular uprisings will result. Dissent will be dealt with. Very likely the continued oppression and unnecessary killings (honor, gays, apostates) of its citizens continues. I hope I am wrong but unlikely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 06:33 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukester View Post
So aren't they admitting that no matter what

Iran does, we just want to nuke 'me . Just because.

It doesn't matter if Iran applies to become the
51st state. It doesn't matter if Iran sends us postcards

with kittens and flowers.

It isn't about Iran. It is about the need to manufacture
a crisis to justify our hatred and paranoia.
Think Progress » Neocons Claim Iranian Elections Don’t Matter
As of this morning, it appears as though the "neocons" may have had a point.

Old 06-13-2009, 06:56 AM

3,728 posts, read 4,871,502 times
Quote:

It doesn't matter because there is a lot of electoral corruption in Iran (makes Florida in 2000 look on the up and up) and the President of Iran is mostly a figure head and holds little actual power.

The First Lady has the same influence over how America is run than the President of Iran has over how Iran is run. Little actual power and only as much influence as the real leaders allow her.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:51 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
You're the one conflating the two, not me. The series of events, which our CIA and president were involved in, led to a situation where the Shah came back into power. The deposing of the prime minister led to the reinvigoration of the Shah's power (which was waning). This is what was and is still resented. And rightfully so.

But hey, keep hounding me about how confrontational I am while you call me a freak repeatedly.
You were the one who erroneously claimed the US put the Shah into power in 1953. You were wrong, as usual. Mohammad Rezā Shāh Pahlavi, a.k.a. "The Shah of Iran", replaced his deposed father as lawful ruler of Iran on September 16, 1941 without any assistance from the US.

You clearly have no clue about what your talking about, which is to be expected from ignorant liberal freaks.

Old 06-13-2009, 08:56 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,458,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post

I hope you are right about a revolution HillTopper. But to summarize what I was going to say: I simply do not think the reformers have the available process/ability/muscle to remove the mullahs, the secret & religious police, and the honor killing super conservative muslims who the gov't empowers and protects. There is a huge push back against the government, agreed, but I do not think the reformers can pull it off. God bless.

It's very likely the reformers lost and very unlikely prolonged popular uprisings will result. Dissent will be dealt with. Very likely the continued oppression and unnecessary killings (honor, gays, apostates) of its citizens continues. I hope I am wrong but unlikely.
TNHillTopper is never right about anything. They have been predicting an Iranian revolution for the last 30 years and they have always been wrong. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad won by "a landslide victory", as expected, and there was no revolution, no rioting, not even a single protest.

Old 06-13-2009, 01:10 PM

156 posts, read 133,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
TNHillTopper is never right about anything. They have been predicting an Iranian revolution for the last 30 years and they have always been wrong. Mahmoud Ahmadinejad won by "a landslide victory", as expected, and there was no revolution, no rioting, not even a single protest.
A'hem, you were saying?
VOA News - Ahmadinejad Win Sparks Protests in Tehran (http://www.voanews.com/english/2009-06-13-voa16.cfm - broken link)

I know what you're going to say, it was because of the difference in our time zones.
Sometimes the hilltopper is right. duh.

Old 06-13-2009, 02:20 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossomo View Post

Whether or not the reformers win anything or a full blow revolution takes place, I think the important part is that there seems to be a majority of people in Iran that desire better ties with the west. It may happen over night but more likely, it will be a process over time but there is something from this that is positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
TNHillTopper is never right about anything.
Well I am certainly wrong from time to time, in fact I once thought you were a rational, well reasoned and intelligent person, shows you how much I know.

1953 Iranian coup d'état - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
The 1953 Iranian coup d’état was the Western-led covert operation that deposed the democratically-elected government of Iranian Prime Minister Mohammed Mosaddeq.[1][2][3] The coup was organized by the United States' CIA and the United Kingdom's MI6, two agencies that aided royalists and mutinous Iranian army officers in overthrowing the Prime Minister
Weren't you the guy who said Ron Paul would never raise 20 million dollars? How did that turn out for you?

Old 06-13-2009, 02:27 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,315,673 times
Quote:

Dukester: Would you care to explain to the other posters the meaning of the term "neo-con". You do realize that the use of this term (and the fact that you site "Think Progress" puts you in the same category as the white supremacist that just murdered at the Holocaust museum?

Neo-con, is a derogatory term that refers to Jews. No one I have ever asked to explain it has ever done so. Any wonder? They don't want anyone to know of their hatred for a people (Jews).

This man was a leftist extremist, like you. Are you sure you want to continue to use that term?

Old 06-13-2009, 02:36 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,196,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Neo-con, is a derogatory term that refers to Jews. No one I have ever asked to explain it has ever done so. Any wonder? They don't want anyone to know of their hatred for a people (Jews).
That is just absurd. the term neocon has been accepted in the national lexicon for years and is often used by both the right and left when referring to people beholden to a neoconservative position. Jeb Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, all signatory members of the now abandoned Project for a New American Century, the lair of Neoconservatism before the AEI. For Gods sake, they call themselves this... sheesh

Old 06-13-2009, 03:54 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,233,789 times
Apparently the Iranian elections really didn't matter....
Quote:
Ahmadinejad's triumph in Friday's vote upset expectations that reformist candidate Mirhossein Mousavi might win the race.
Did anyone really expect the challenger to unseat the mad man? Geezzzz............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies