Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 08:30 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,224,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracieJJ View Post
Cant you people never look past what always in front of you??

How many of those countries were colonised?? hmm. Did'nt the older folks talk or glorify the days of divide and conquer tactic.

I wonder who is arming them??

Who armed saddam?? who sided with the taliban when russian forces were in Afghanistan??

What are you folks gonna do bout the MANY white supremist groups?? if not worldwide, hows about the ones here in good US of A??, They create terror, how comes their not on the terrorist list but the great friend of yesterday (taliban) now turned foe today is on the terrorist list?? If nothing? then theres really little more to talk about, isnt there>?
Who armed Saddam? Care to guess what planes he flew? Tanks they drove? Small arms they carried? Would you have guessed weapons of Russian manufacture? Then you would have guessed correctly.
No we don't manufacture T-72 tanks, ak-47 rifles nor do we manufacture MIG aircraft.
The Taliban was a group amoung many resistance groups that we supported against the Soviet invasion. What did the Soviets do with their captives in Afghanistan? PM me for details.
White supremists groups. While I would hazzard a guess that less than 1% of all white americans belong to such a group I would say that most whites look at such groups as a joke.
One can say but they are white and racist. I would say true.
At the same time those who would point fingers at such groups seem to turn a blind eye to the violent gangs comprised of minority groups that seem to plague our cities. Are these gangs less racist or more correct than such groups as the KKK? Just wondering is all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2010, 10:10 PM

980 posts, read 1,147,382 times
The word Racism, has been so abused/misused in modern usage, that it has become a meaningless term, tossed around like leaves on a Fall day. However, its true meaning can be discerned.

Racism is synonymous with Bigotry and Bigotry = stubbornly clinging to an idea, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. So, Racism = stubbornly clinging to ideas about Race, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary

Now, who's a Racist?

Old 01-02-2010, 11:06 PM

715 posts, read 2,087,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
Who armed Saddam? Care to guess what planes he flew? Tanks they drove? Small arms they carried? Would you have guessed weapons of Russian manufacture? Then you would have guessed correctly.
No we don't manufacture T-72 tanks, ak-47 rifles nor do we manufacture MIG aircraft.
The Taliban was a group amoung many resistance groups that we supported against the Soviet invasion. What did the Soviets do with their captives in Afghanistan? PM me for details.
White supremists groups. While I would hazzard a guess that less than 1% of all white americans belong to such a group I would say that most whites look at such groups as a joke.
One can say but they are white and racist. I would say true.
At the same time those who would point fingers at such groups seem to turn a blind eye to the violent gangs comprised of minority groups that seem to plague our cities. Are these gangs less racist or more correct than such groups as the KKK? Just wondering is all.
Ehh?? The Now Iraqis are under the American supervision, do you see their military using any of the M16 carbines or using any 1911 pistols?? they are still using the AK's

About the minority gangs, they only came about because of the kkk, please dont start crying "victim" or the "we are not so different" case.

The fact that the west, interfered in the middle east far too long has resulted in these muslim extremists. Go on Sailor, deny it!! How many more American blood must be spilled over this grave mistake?? all becuase of arrogance and denial? Im afraid the muslims somehow WONT take this lying down till the last muslim blood is spilled. Last i looked, Yemeni are now a safe haven for these terrorists, wow, now they're getting bigger tinman. Our military grows weary of the wars. What next??

Old 01-02-2010, 11:59 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chef Boyardee View Post
The word Racism, has been so abused/misused in modern usage, that it has become a meaningless term, tossed around like leaves on a Fall day. However, its true meaning can be discerned.

Racism is synonymous with Bigotry and Bigotry = stubbornly clinging to an idea, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary. So, Racism = stubbornly clinging to ideas about Race, despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary

Now, who's a Racist?
I am confused on what "evidence" has been presented to prove differences in races don't exist?

Old 01-03-2010, 12:02 AM

844 posts, read 1,280,736 times
Pessimism is a dangerous game.

Imagine how life would be if we said "Murder/rape/theft/abuse happens and we will never be free of it, so we may as well get used to it".

Just because its very difficult to get rid of does not mean we should not strive for it.

Old 01-03-2010, 12:22 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,447,268 times
I have friends of all races and religions. I don't look at my friends who are black, as such, just as they are my friend, i don't see the color just the person inside, others i know bring up the color.I ACTUALLY like having a diverse group of friends, you learn about other's in this way. And they learn about my Italian and Spanish heritage mostly Italian. I personally think it would be rather boring, if we were just one color some may disagree with me, but i like the different cultures of different people. No if there a bad element, there bad in what ever color they are, and i will stay away.

Old 01-03-2010, 03:42 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,210,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I have friends of all races and religions. I don't look at my friends who are black, as such, just as they are my friend, i don't see the color just the person inside, others i know bring up the color.I ACTUALLY like having a diverse group of friends, you learn about other's in this way. And they learn about my Italian and Spanish heritage mostly Italian. I personally think it would be rather boring, if we were just one color some may disagree with me, but i like the different cultures of different people. No if there a bad element, there bad in what ever color they are, and i will stay away.
I think you give diversity a little too much value. Honestly, I had black, Mexican, and Asian friends growing up. I really didn't learn much of anything by just "being around them". I have learned a hell of a lot more from books than I have ever learned from my dealings with people of other cultures. Don't get me wrong though, I love the parades and stuff they do in like Chinatown. But I would mostly say its more entertaining than enlightening.

To me, the reason why people like multi-culturalism is almost like going the zoo. Its cool to see the Lions of Africa, the Tigers of India, the Polar bears of the arctic, the Penguins of antarctica, the dolphins, and the sharks.

But honestly, do you really think you "learn" much about these animals by seeing them in a zoo? Its really all entertainment, its just something else to look at. Sea World is all a show. I learn a hell of a lot more in 10 minutes on the internet sifting through different animals on wikipedia than I learned all day long walking around the zoo.

I think people don't always understand the differences between being entertained and happiness. And while being entertained can feel like happiness, it can actually have the opposite effect because of the cost associated with happiness. The problem people have is, they don't understand how the thing they think is bringing them happiness is the very thing that makes them unhappy.

Illegal drugs are a good example. They might make you feel good and even "happy" for a while. But the extreme monetary and societal costs of illegal drugs are deep. The criminal activity directly caused by the drug trade, like murder, gang wars, prostitution, and all other sorts of crime. A person might think they are insulated from the unhappy part of the drug trade, but you could still get mugged, robbed, or attacked as a consequence of something you think "makes you happy".

To me, multi-culturalism is something that people perceive as making them happy because its entertainment. But the social division, racism, discrimination, hatred, crime, and an array of other political problems caused by multi-culturalism over the long-term could make you far less happy than any neat parade, or authentic thai restaurant might make you happy in the near-term.

The happiest countries in the world are generally very homogeneous.

Old 01-03-2010, 04:16 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,620 times
"Racism is regarded as a crime if practiced by a majority—but as an inalienable right if practiced by a minority. The notion that one’s culture is superior to all others solely because it represents the traditions of one’s ancestors, is regarded as chauvinism if claimed by a majority—but as “ethnic” pride if claimed by a minority." Ayn Rand

Old 01-03-2010, 04:24 AM

3,047 posts, read 2,826,620 times
"Racism is the lowest, most crudely primitive form of collectivism. It is the notion of ascribing moral, social or political significance to a man’s genetic lineage—the notion that a man’s intellectual and characterological traits are produced and transmitted by his internal body chemistry. Which means, in practice, that a man is to be judged, not by his own character and actions, but by the characters and actions of a collective of ancestors.

Racism claims that the content of a man’s mind (not his cognitive apparatus, but its content) is inherited; that a man’s convictions, values and character are determined before he is born, by physical factors beyond his control.

This is the caveman’s version of the doctrine of innate ideas—or of inherited knowledge—which has been thoroughly refuted by philosophy and science. Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes. It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men.

Like every form of determinism, racism invalidates the specific attribute which distinguishes man from all other living species: his rational faculty.

Racism negates two aspects of man’s life: reason and choice, or mind and morality, replacing them with chemical predestination." Ayn Rand

Old 01-03-2010, 04:34 AM

844 posts, read 1,280,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraggingCanoe View Post
"Racism is regarded as a crime if practiced by a majority—but as an inalienable right if practiced by a minority. The notion that one’s culture is superior to all others solely because it represents the traditions of one’s ancestors, is regarded as chauvinism if claimed by a majority—but as “ethnic” pride if claimed by a minority." Ayn Rand
Really? Whay minorities deem racism an inalienable right?

Sounds like more 'majority driven' excusism towards bigotry.

"Hey thoses ____s are racist too so its ok if my people are racist towards them, even if my people have historically been the aggressors and currently are the dominant perpetrators."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies