Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you content with the current healthcare system in America
Yes 52 20.55%
No 104 41.11%
Yes and No (Some parts are good, some are bad) 97 38.34%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 10:08 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,469,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I've never said anything about free. I'm 52 years old, not a kid and never received anything for free. The health insurance industry pays out between 5-12% of all moneys collected per year in claims. You figure it out. I'm sure you'll blab on about their overhead etc. If you believe that 3% profit margin, then you have no credibility on the subject. The insurance business is a scam and always was. They do nothing, create nothing. It's all to do about volume of cash in relation to risk, nothing more nothing less. Unless of course they start interfering with your care, doctors, and your bank account. Get a clue.

It's free to the growing number of greedy bottom feeders in this country.

If you believe that their balance sheets are hiding something then I suggest you give the IRS a call. So just you saying the 3% is not true doesn't make it so.

Maybe you would rather have the gubmint run it at a loss today to dump on future generations like Medicare and SS, but I would not.

I would rather they fix medicare and ss first if they are so smart. Then work on filling the holes in the insurance system without trying to run another industry that they have no clue how to run.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:09 AM

23,174 posts, read 26,211,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
You won't need a living will when Barney Frank and Chris Dodd are put in charge of your health care.
Not a really funny subject but great comeback

Old 07-22-2009, 10:10 AM

1,902 posts, read 2,469,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalrap View Post
You have a choice where to buy your service from a cooperation, with gubmint, you don't.

wrong post

Last edited by coastalrap; 07-22-2009 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: fast fingers

Old 07-22-2009, 10:11 AM

1,126 posts, read 2,693,594 times
Why do some posters believe that UHC will priorize some patients over others? Know what, it will. But not in the sense of "old people will be left to die as they are not profitable". Completely wrong. Every American will be entitled to get treatment, and the more urgent cases will be given priority status. Not depending on income or agre, just medical needs.

Did you know that the US spends a staggering 16% of GDP on health care, twice of what other countries with UHC do? Ironically, UHC would be better for the nation's budget.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:13 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,480,125 times
Default No job, insurance: hard times for young adults

...and conservatives want to keep it that way. Pathetic.

No jobs, no insurance: hard times for young adults - Health care- msnbc.com

"Ben Brenner, now 23, couldn't find work in finance, his preferred field. After a four-month search, he took a part-time job for a small real estate agency in Deerfield, Ill., for an hourly rate and no health benefits.

$5,000 deductible
He was able to stay insured as a dependent on his stepmother's plan until December. Then he went without insurance briefly. Now he has a $5,000 deductible he calls "absurdly high" and pays $53 a month through a plan designed for young adults. He "felt relieved knowing I had an insurance card in my wallet."

He supports the Obama administration's push to cover more Americans and lower the cost of health care, but is unsure how he feels about tax increases to pay for it. He's in favor of requiring everyone to have health insurance.

"I think it should be mandatory to have insurance because if you're uninsured and you go to the hospital, the taxpayers are footing the bill anyway," he said."

Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,919,896 times
you can't honestly believe that if you put more people into a program, including adding the illegal immigrants, that everyone is going to be treated equally. choices will have to be made with limited financial resources. it isn't like the government has a money tree...

why on earth then would JUST seniors have to undergo mandatory end of life counseling under UHC?

Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 AM

7,138 posts, read 14,643,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
Why do some posters believe that UHC will priorize some patients over others? Know what, it will. But not in the sense of "old people will be left to die as they are not profitable". Completely wrong. Every American will be entitled to get treatment, and the more urgent cases will be given priority status. Not depending on income or agre, just medical needs.

Did you know that the US spends a staggering 16% of GDP on health care, twice of what other countries with UHC do? Ironically, UHC would be better for the nation's budget.

I think the rest of us out here want your special inside information, Has. You read those 1300 pages yet?!

Old 07-22-2009, 10:17 AM

769 posts, read 888,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tank1906 View Post
"Ben Brenner, now 23, couldn't find work in finance, his preferred field. After a four-month search, he took a part-time job for a small real estate agency in Deerfield, Ill., for an hourly rate and no health benefits.

Hate to be insensitive, but supply-demand curves apply to everything. If you go into a highly populated field, you risk job insecurity, especially in hard times. These are things that should be considered when starting college.

My mother is a school teacher of 20 years and has a $5K deductible, terrible insurance. Reform is needed, that is not the arguement. It's the specific reform on the table the sucks the big one.

Old 07-22-2009, 10:24 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,136,796 times
Default The truth about private insurance companies

UnitedHealth 2Q profit rises, enrollment slides

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- UnitedHealth Group Inc. reported a soaring second-quarter profit Tuesday, but uncertainty surrounding the health care overhaul debate in Congress helped keep the managed care company's shares grounded.

The Minnetonka, Minn.-based company said its profit more than doubled compared to the same quarter last year, when hefty legal charges weighed down earnings. UnitedHealth also said revenue rose 7 percent, as it saw strong growth in its public and senior health insurance.

Reassuring to know that they are doing well in this tanking economy. Interesting that their enrollemnt fell, but their profits rise above expectations. I wonder why? Can we all say GOUGING?

recordonline.com - The Times Herald-Record, serving New York"s Hudson Valley and the Catskills (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_EARNS_UNITEDHEALTH_GROUP?SITE=NYMID&SECTION=HOM E&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT - broken link)

Old 07-22-2009, 10:26 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,480,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterK View Post
Hate to be insensitive, but supply-demand curves apply to everything. If you go into a highly populated field, you risk job insecurity, especially in hard times. These are things that should be considered when starting college.
Virtually every field is down and insecure. This also has nothing to do with healthcare. These people have worked hard and should be able to have health insurance despite job security. Problem is, conservatives have falsely tied illegals and lazy people to the face of "Obamacare". These are the real people in need. Hard working, educated people who need a suffering during this downturn. Your career choice should be based on what you have a passion for not where the job security is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies