Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you content with the current healthcare system in America
Yes 52 20.55%
No 104 41.11%
Yes and No (Some parts are good, some are bad) 97 38.34%
Voters: 253. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2009, 08:49 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
I would rather have government health insurance because the government is sometimes incompetent but the private insurance companies are always inimical. The government may make mistakes but the insurers will always try to cheat you out of your money.
So when the .Gov makes an error regarding your own personal well being, what will be your avenues of recourse?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:51 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
Default Another Example of failed Single-payer HC

RealClearPolitics - Lessons For Health Care Reform

Quote:
Tennessee was home to a failed attempt at universal single payer care, and has lessons to teach a President who has promised that in pursuing his goal of universal health care, he will learn from the policy failures of the past. In 1994 Tennessee implemented managed care in its Medicaid program, creating a system known as TennCare. The objective was to use the anticipated savings from Medicaid to fund and expand coverage for children and the uninsured. The result was a program that nearly bankrupted the state, reduced the quality of care, and collapsed under its own weight.
Quote:
TennCare was designed to replace Mediaid with managed care and use the promised savings to expand coverage. By 1998, TennCare swelled to cover 1.2 million people. Private business dropped coverage for employees and forced them onto state rolls. By 2002 enrollment had swelled to 1.4 million people and forced Tennessee's Governor to raise taxes and ultimately propose an entirely new state income tax to cover the unforeseen costs.
This is exactly what will happen under UHC and exactly what obama and the dems/libs are hoping to achieve.

Quote:
Employers Prefer "Free" Care to Private Care: If the government offers universal health care, why wouldn't businesses move employees to the plan as a sound business decision? In Tennessee, this behavior dramatically expanded the public burden as people who had once been on private insurance migrated to the "free" option of public care, adding to the State's unanticipated cost. Studies indicate that only 55% of those added to TennCare came from the uninsured population, while the rest came from a decline in private coverage.
An excellent summary of the potential disaster in the making.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:52 AM

769 posts, read 888,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
i know that i have NEVER come across a european person who wanted to get rid of their health care system. left or right.
Is this proof of something? I met a woman on an airplane about 2.5 years ago from England and her husband was a US citizen so they visited his family here once a year. She said she gets all her medical check ups every year when she come here because she can't get them in England. As a result, they found she had breast cancer, caught it early, she lived. She was told she would have died had she not gotten check ups here because she was not elgible for mamograms for another 3 years under her UHC.

So this proves just as much as your statment the exact opposite of what you said.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:52 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,543,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoracer51 View Post
I'm worried about where this country is heading.

I keep asking people, what .Gov entity has been a success?

Amtrak, USPS, SS, Medicare/Medicaid, etc. We'll probably be able to add Government Motors to that list also.
Are you saying the US Post Office has not been a success? Until the recent advent of email, etc, mailing a letter across the country for the price of a stamp was pretty amazing IMO.

Having worked for the Post Office, I have seen the inner workings of its giant wheels.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:53 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,941,887 times
Quote:
there are many government healthcare systems besides the canadian model.

and private health care is the only system americans know, yet there is a large, mainstream political movement against it. there is no such movement in any country with government health care.
Australia.

From an Australian friend of mine.

Quote:
No system is perfect and that includes our system and no system will ever have enough money because health care is a bottomless pit that absorbs unlimited money.

The Australian system is part private and part public.

Looking at how the Canadian system operates (Note that I didn't say how it works) you would never want a system like it so if the Obama creature uses it as a model you should be very afraid.

Our system works reasonably well except if you need 'Elective' treatment such as a replacement hip, in that case expect to wait a year or more in pain but if you are insured you can have it done immediately.

Under our system there are standard fees for services, if the doctor charges the standard fee then there is no cost (Most GP's use that system) but they can charge what the want so it may be that you have to pay a doctor something for a service or consultation. An example is a clinic down the road a mile from me, it is free to use except for weekends or public holidays when they charge IIRC $10.

Having that hip replacement under the public system would be free but as an insured job it would most probably cost several hundred dollars because the doctors/hospital charge more again.

Prescription drugs cost about $30 for most of them with the balance picked up by the government.

I prefer our system over your system and certainly over the Canadian system.
The Australian Health System - Medicare Australia (http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/about/whatwedo/health-system/index.jsp - broken link)

Australia's health 2004 (AIHW)

Options for reforming Australia's health system

Old 07-22-2009, 08:54 AM

12,373 posts, read 13,199,456 times
WTF why do you need to start a new thread every time you find a new healthcare story?

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
We could pay for the increased enrollment in the public system by taxing the business that stopped providing the benefit. We could also pay for the whole thing by reinstating the income tax rates used during WW2.

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
there are many government healthcare systems besides the canadian model. i much prefer systems like france and the uk, where private providers exist for those who want to pay, but everyone has access to the health care they need regardless of income.

and private health care is the only system americans know, yet there is a large, mainstream political movement against it here. there is no such movement in any country with government health care.
The NHS is failing.

The French system is interesting,it too is running in the red but most people who are covered by it also buy private insurance...that would seem to point towards a system that doesn't work too well.

Old 07-22-2009, 08:55 AM

1,599 posts, read 3,118,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post
Are you saying the US Post Office has not been a success? Until the recent advent of email, etc, mailing a letter across the country for the price of a stamp was pretty amazing IMO.

Having worked for the Post Office, I have seen the inner workings of its giant wheels.
Do you consider a $5Billion deficit per year a success?

Old 07-22-2009, 08:58 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,878,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post

Has the USPS ever NOT run in the red???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies