Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,796,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I beleive the survey said many would quit or take early retirement. You really think only 9% would bail? I know all our doctors are very concerned. Have any of them said they would leave practice? No, but they have indicated they are not happy. Of course no one thinks 45% would quit, but I get a huge number would take early retirement.

Nita
I would agree with that (9%), at most. Really, most of these men and women have families to support, mortgages to pay, all the expenses the rest of us have. Lots of docs have their kids later in life, have kids to put through college into their 60s.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 09:47 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,068,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Investors.com - 45% Of Doctors Would Consider Quitting If Congress Passes Health Care Overhaul

So much for the phony rhetoric that doctors are on his side. Geez, how many more lies is the man going to be caught telling?
Great we need more lawn boys in our area.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:10 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
With obama's poll numbers on a negative trend, there is no doubt that Americans agree with the doctors. No on obamacare.

Old 09-17-2009, 12:48 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,167,720 times
For some reason or another, people assume that doctors are trapped. Just because YOU are trapped, you cannot assume others are held hostage to their job. I'm not saying 45% will quit. Common sense tells me that won't be the case. But who in their right mind will want to go into a career that takes on loads of debt and get paid less. Worse yet, how about the stress of 2x the work load.

Let's agree that less people will have an interest in going into the medical profession. Let's also hopefully agree that if doctors make less $$'s and see more patients, the quality of care will go down.

There is meaningful attrition every year. So where could they go???

1. There are a lot of >50 year old doctors that have plenty of $$'s to call it quits (a.k.a. early retirement).
  2. Nothing says they have to quit. Some might opt for part time work in order to reduce their stress.
  3. Doctors can go into research for pharmaceutical companies or Universities.
  4. Many may chose to take administrative positions like Clinic Directors etc,. Some might work for insurance providers etc.
  5. Many of my doctor friends that I have talked to discuss re-tooling into synergistic careers. Maybe becoming a DDS, technical medical sales (for instance Medronic) , chiropractor.
In summary, we are talking about a group of people that are highly motivated and bright. While some are trapped, that does not mean that many cannot leave IF they wanted. I'm not saying they will but many can and will stop practicing.

In the end, I don't want a demotivated stressed out doctor. I'm guessing a lot of Doctors are doing it because they feel that it is their calling. Maybe it is just me but does it seem some are almost gloating (rlchurch I'm talking about you). Don't assume that people who make $150K-$800K for years cannot afford to walk or switch.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:34 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,952,342 times
45% of Doctors would considering quitting if obamacare adopted.

Wow, I guess they are really over paid. What other profession could just decide to quit their jobs because they did not agree with a law. Who else would give up making 250K to over a million because they did not agree with a plan. The arrogance!!

Fine, maybe we will get some doctors who care about their patients rather than just the almighty dollar.

Old 09-17-2009, 01:55 PM

9,746 posts, read 11,167,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotair2 View Post
45% of Doctors would considering quitting if obamacare adopted.

Wow, I guess they are really over paid. What other profession could just decide to quit their jobs because they did not agree with a law. Who else would give up making 250K to over a million because they did not agree with a plan. The arrogance!!

Fine, maybe we will get some doctors who care about their patients rather than just the almighty dollar.
They said they would consider quitting the profession. It's not that 45% would give up working. You are hearing what you want to hear.

Smart motivated people will always have options and will make a lot more money than the average Joe. I don't think $250K is too much money for the necessary skill set, stress, hours, risk and responsibility.

It is a rational response and not at all arrogant.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:00 PM

5,922 posts, read 8,068,891 times
Let me know when medical school applications drop below prospective class size.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:04 PM

46,963 posts, read 26,005,972 times
Nate Silver (of fivethirtyeight.com) takes the IBD poll apart:

FiveThirtyEight: Politics Done Right: IBD/TIPP Doctors Poll Is Not Trustworthy

Like him or loathe him, the man can crunch numbers.

One useful tidbit when considering the source: IBD/TIPP projected McCain winning the youth vote 74-22. (It was, of course, also IBD who managed to argue that Stephen Hawking never would have survived under England's NHS.)

They're partisan, and they're idiots.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:06 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,715,742 times
I haven't read the whole thread so this may be a repeat, but here's a story about your poll. Do doctors support health care reform? IBD says no, NEJM says yes - City of Brass

It was a mail-in questionnaire--hardly scientific. The NEJM poll was a real poll and it showed a lot of support for health care reform among doctors.

Old 09-17-2009, 02:08 PM

4,426 posts, read 5,920,399 times
yeah.. the doctors who aren't in it for actually taking care of patients.. 45 percent would probably be the people who are in it for the money and lifestyle...
there are bad doctors in this country.. in fact a lot of them... so I'm not worried.. take the dollar signs out of their eyes and it will weed out the people who aren't in it for the right reasons, and make medical education more accessible so that those who want to do it for the right reasons and would be good at it can have the chance to do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies